News: Fire Moving to Soldier Field

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by lncolnpk, Apr 2, 2019.

1. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** it, bring back the Chicago Cardinals - if damn New York and LA, lol, LA, can have two NFL teams, we can too.

Jiggly_333 and Anthony repped this.
  2. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    LA went from 0 to 2 real quick.

harrylee773 repped this.
  3. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So I thought about the news yesterday and have come up with 2 possible outcomes:

1. The Bears move out of Soldier Field. That would mean the Fire would be able to possibly be the main tenant(working around summer concerts of course) would cause the city to redo the lease and because its Chicago their rent would go up. The loss of revenue from the Bears leaving would cause the rent to go up, parking to go up because the city will want to make up that lost revenue. Remember when the Fire signed their lease with the city that it is for 2 or 3 years with extensions up to 10 years. This gives the city the power to raise their rent.

2. All of this could be a negotiating tactic to get the city to renovate Soldier Field which the city, by city I mean tax payers, will probably be on the hook for. Remember when the Fire had to play in Naperville when Soldier Field was being renovated? It'd be funny if the Fire had to go back and play at the Geek because Soldier Field was being renovated for a couple years. This renovation could also cause their rent to go up as well.

Yeah so good times.

bunge repped this.
  4. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    They probably should not have 2 if we are being honest.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  5. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    I deferred my season tix to next year and heard from someone who did the same that I am eligible for discounted single-game tickets this year

anyone know about this? reached out to a couple ticket reps and have not yet heard back

6. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    FIRE: 100% Capacity!!

Also FIRE: That's really 60% capacity

Also FIRE: That we're going to suppress the available tickets on to try to force fans to buy more expensive seats!!

Don't buy for a second that all these 200 level tickets are bought...

upload_2021-7-2_9-42-42.png

7. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I bought my tickets off of the resale for almost half the price for what they wanted “available” tickets in the 200 level.

I was at the Inter Miami game with my son and I am hoping we get treated to another rare win for the Fire.

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I got some free club seats from a friend this weekend so I sold my regular seats for a little bit above break even and it only took them an hour to go, so someone's buying.

xtomx repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You paid too much!

10. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------------------
    This would be quite amazing if the Fire were the primary tenant.
    Fire fans, if you could change 1-2 things about Soldier Field to make it a really good soccer facility, what would it be?

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1. A better team.
    2. A much, much better team
    3. Cheaper parking

12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    You can’t see the entire field from large portions of the stadium. It’s a joke of a soccer stadium. You would have to rip out the renovation just to make the field visible from all seats. That is such a huge undertaking you might as well just build new.

13. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    1) bring seats closer to field
    2) a roof over all seats

I think Marty already mentioned it and I only checked on this with one person, but it does appear true that Mansueto will try to buy Soldier Field if Bears move out.

14. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    Huh? I’ve sat in half a dozen spots for soccer games and never had trouble seeing the whole field.

I mean, it was built for a sport with a pretty similar field size and is small enough to avoid any serious nosebleeds.

15. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Last game I couldn’t see the corner flag nearest me, which means I couldn’t see anyone setting up for a corner. It’s an issue even from the press box so serious teams and journalists scoff, and I don’t blame them.

Once inside the stadium, Toyota Park was a much better soccer viewing venue. If you rip out the UFO, you could probably recreate the Toyota Park views pretty well.

xtomx repped this.
  16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The 300/400 level seats do obstruct the near side touchlines for soccer/rugby. Even with that the field is a bit narrow.

bunge repped this.
  17. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Talk of SSS#2 seems to have faded away since the initial talk of getting out of Bridgeview.

18. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Isn't this a problem for all NFL stadiums in MLS though?

19. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    The training facility was priority number one. If a SSS was going to be first, it would have been a waste of time to go to Soldier Field in the first place.

20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    All the more reason to set ourselves apart from the bottom (less than) half of the league.

21. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Build the One Central Transit hub
    2. Undo the bullshit that was done in 2003 so the columns are the prominent feature again.
    3. Somehow also make the field wider with seats that go to the pitch on three sides. Could probably be done in conjunction with reducing capacity to 25-30k and building the corporate suites teams need to make money.
    4. Maybe just spend mental energy on things that will actually happen, because none of this ever will. Even as primary tenant, the team will still be second fiddle. To what I don’t know, but I know that they will.

22. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wouldn't raising the field accomplish the same thing easier?

CMeszt repped this.
  23. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When they announced the move back to Soldier Field someone in my rec soccer league said "Why the hell would they want to leave a stadium specifically built for watching soccer? There isn't a bad seat in the entire stadium.". My response was that it was purely a business decision on the new owner's part.

LIZZIE, bunge, skinut and 1 other person repped this.
  24. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    After how flooded the last game was they need to anyway.

EDIT: You’d also probably have to raise the heating system. It’s a bigger mess than just dumping dirt.

25. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    still probably cheaper than other alternatives.

skinut repped this.