Fire Gregg Berhalter (NCR)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 2, 2018.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Since the mods used their ungodly power to close to other thread, let us carry on our work here.

Beyond asking the obvious questions about why a failure in Sweden and a man who coached 5 years in the MLS without a single trophy is fit to coach the USMNT, lets go deeper.

Who else is looking forward to Gregg's terminally dull possession based style being exposed again and again by teams and managers that realize the USA player pool simply doesn't have skilled enough players to play this style against better opposition. I, for one, can not wait.

On the bright side, at least we know USSF did all they could to find the best qualified coach.

ZipSix and chr1st repped this.
  2. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is there a reason not to merge this with the usmnt / berhalter thread? I think discussing the coach's decisions and our opinions on whether or not a change is needed is fine there. Didn't we use past usmnt threads to discuss kleinsmann, arena, etc.? I'm not sure we need two parallel usmnt threads.

Also not trying to be a stupid face here (though it comes with the territory), just trying to facilitate the least fragmented discussion.

Thoughts?

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If we don't have tradition, we have nothing.

Respect Your Roots.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooray for the new hire that had a 38% winning average with the Columbus Crew, maybe he will do better than he did in Swedan where he had a 39% winning average.
    Good riddance,

hangthadj repped this.
  5. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    This thread is necessary... people wouldn’t know whether to go to the USMNT thread or the past players/coaches thread to call for GG’s head. Now, it is easy to find and post.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first saw this thread I rolled my eyes so hard they nearly fell out of my head. I immediately reached for the delete button.... but I guess this thread can be a good thing. I can just ignore the shit out of it, and rest assured that Hang's crybabying (I invent verbs, what of it?) will be confined to this disgusting turd sandwhich of nonsensical hatefvckery that will henceforce be known as the NCR Greggggggggg thread.

Any mention of GB outside this thread will earn an immediate deletion. Thems the rules.

CybrSlydr, KCbus and stanger repped this.
  7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to post this in the Fire GGGGGGGG thread because the mods can't let us have any fun so I'll post it here.

I, for one, welcome our new TD/manager overlords.

Draghignazzo and hangthadj repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh myyyyyyyyyy.

Hey Sugarlips....care to dance, can I buy you a drink?

chr1st repped this.
  10. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang, why can't you be happy?! Remember that one time Gregg took us to MLS Cup?! Remember all the possession?! And what about the xGs?! Oh my, all the xGs, Hang!! Why isn't that good enough for you?!

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well chr1st, you have to understand. Where I'm from our tailgates don't consist of just coldcuts, chili, vegan food, and craft beer. As an East Coast Ultra my tailgates mainly consist of turd sandwiches and hate********ery. It's not for everyone, but for some of us the shoe fits.

After such a raging tailgate. You can imagine, I would be a little tired and/or full. Alll I might want is to be entertained. For some the xG's work, but my abacus is broken. For some the meandering POSSESION with no payoff works. For me it's just like a trance remix of Sarah McLachlan's breakthrough 1993 hit. SNOOOZE CRUISE!

On the bright side, US Soccer was never ever gonna win anything of consequence ever, so Gregg is in an appropriate environment for his skill set I guess. And the Crew can finally, hopefully bring in someone who can win.

That all said. Fire Gregg Berhalter.

chr1st repped this.
  12. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear @hardhead

I write to respectfully request that you do not close active threads that people are participating in. If the topic becomes moot then it stands to reason once the discussion is done the thread will fall of the first page of the board and never be seen again.

Gregg Berhalter was until very recently the coach of the team; he's now coach of the national team. His tenure is an enigma wrapped in a question mark. Was it a success? Was it a failure? Where did he get extra small v-neck sweaters if there's no Uniqlo in Columbus. All interesting questions worth discussing on this discussion board.

Thanks,
    ZipSix

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Shoulda cc'ed hate********ery expert Kyle Crew.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who will start the Fire Hardhead thread?

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus christ.... no one is saying GB was the greatest coach ever. Just that your never ending hate for the man can, well, stop now that he's gone. You can't even beat the dead horse anymore, because the horse is gone. Move on.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    [QUOTE="hangthadj, post: 37318820, member: 13651"Hey Sugarlips[/QUOTE]

hangthadj repped this.
  17. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does it bother you so much when posters want to engage in conversation?

ZipSix repped this.
  18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Endless moaning isn't conversation.

19. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, my wife hasn't had a conversation with me in years! ZING!

Oh...

Wait...

*depression*

20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, endless moaning in that context could be a good thing.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's new hate for a new day.

Gregg isn't gone. He still shows up on holidays like international break weeks, festive weekends like gold cups. He quotes inspirational speakers. He shows you Ted Talks on his iPhone by hack speakers like Schmep Schmardiola. He's that annoying cousin who keeps on telling you how he really thinks that soon his employer is gonna send him on a month long trip to somewhere exotic like Qatar. He asks if he can send you his powerpoint to review.

The horse isn't dead. It's just in an adjacent stable. Hence the NCR. Duh.....

22. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if that were true, which it isn't, I don't think a moderator should impose his point of view on the whole of the message board by closing down conversation. We're here to talk to each other. That's the sole purpose of this website. We aren't wasting BigSoccer's critical resources, or company time, or any of that. The whole reason the site exists is for us to talk to each other about what we are interested in.

23. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Alright, you made this point twice. I get what you're saying.

I do think you're completely missing my point, however. I'm not trying to shut down a conversation about firing Berhalter or moaning on and on (which I agree, generally, it's not--though it does get circular at times). I was posing a question about trying to not have a parallel fragmented conversation in multiple threads. This forum has historically had a thread about the USMNT that spends much time there talking about coach, player selection, and performance. We'll inevitably start talking about needing to fire (or laud) the coach in the USMNT (Berhalter Era) thread. And, we'll do it here. People will share the same link in two places. In my view, it'd be better to do it in one place. I posed the question about whether we want two threads or one--you've clearly made your view that you'd prefer two. I haven't heard many people agree with me, so I'll stop talking about it unless you just want to keep hammering on about closing the Berhalter out thread for the Crew. And..the guy is no longer the Crew manager.

And, we were looking for another moderator for some time. I appreciate Kyle Crew helping me and stepping up. If other feel strongly about wanting to do this work, let me know.

24. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    classic doom statement

chr1st repped this.
  25. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We love and appreciate the sacrifice @Kyle Crew made to the cause by agreeing to try to manage us (Good ********ing luck with that). But we also hate stupid modfaces on principle and tradition, so there you go. We're a conundrum and we get to have it both ways.

Kyle Crew repped this.