FIRE - Colorado, 10/18[R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by 352gialloblu, Oct 18, 2003.

1. ianfan

ianfan New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    OKC
    .....and then some.

2. Lowdiggity

Lowdiggity New Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Chicago
    Hands down, funnest game ever!!!

3. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I have this knack for missing the big ones, including the USOC semifinal a few years back. I'm ecstatic to hear the result, and glad S8 worked better than last week.

Hey, did my friend Tony play acoustic guitar pre-game in the concourse behind the supporters' section?

Later,
    COZ <-- back from NYC and Dallas, and really tired

4. Some rock band with electric guitars played there.

5. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago

There was a fellow playing accoustic (pretty darn well) at the VIP reeception that was at the north end of the east side collonades, from 6:30 til about 7:15.

6. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Tony

Tony played the group leader/season ticket holder reception in the East Collonades - he was great. Really appreciated his version of Squeeze's "Tempted", but was disappointed that he didn't know Nick Lowe's "Knockin on Heaven's Door".

peter

7. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Re: Tony

That's because it's a Bob Dylan song.

;)

8. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Was that Robin Frasier who got beat on Beasley's goal? If it was I am only dissapointed that we didn't bust into a Frasier chant. :)

What a night. What a season. Two down. One to go.

On a side note: Dipsy IS for real. Believe that.

9. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Re: Tony

Did you just ask for Nick Lowe, though? I know he's got "Cruel to be Kind" in his repertoire. And yeah, Tony is great. No argument there. His versions of "New Year's Day" and "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" are also top-notch.

Later,
    COZ

10. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Gray gets beat, and he replaces the central defender position, as that was vacated to cover Carreri on the outside.

Meanwhile...

Mapp doesn't stay close to Henderson AT ALL and Henderson has an easy look at goal.

It sure wasn't all Gray's fault, not when Mapp couldn't stay within 5 yards of his man.

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    This might be correct. I just know the cross got in because Gray stopped running and covering his man. He was just really lazy on the play, and I can't forgive him for that.

12. It is just a small statistic issue but last night our average home attendance record surpassed average away attendance.

Home
    High 30845
    Low 7143
    Average 14006

Away
    High 23799
    Low 7401
    Average 13863

13. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    No mention of the Halftime Proprosal?

Congratulations Heckler!

14. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Wes Hart.

15. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it's important, but I'd consider them rhythm and blues. They were playing "Messin' with the Kid" while I was on the way to my seat.

16. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Yeah but Fraser was on the field somewhere, had to be his fault! ;)

17. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Re: musings

wrong, wrong and wrong....the only "genius" i might have is identifying incredibly gifted people and convincing them to run the Fire's soccer department. Bob, Dave and their staffs deserve any credit that fans care to give. i'm ok with cap management and trade negotiation, but the coaching staffs really deserve any praise for identifying, selecting and developing talented players.

BTW, i still think the job Bob did last season with all the injuries and call ups was among the best jobs by any coach in the history of MLS.

peter

18. RogerinIL

RogerinIL New Member

Feb 24, 1999
    Just for the record, I thought Dipsy did an extraordinary job on the play that resulted in Chris's winning goal. He got the free kick and tried to turn and shoot. But it got smothered. Then he dug the ball away from the defenders and spotted Chris making his run. He also had some passes/plays earlier that made me sit up and take notice.

Peter mentioned to me at the reception before the game that Mapp would start and some other players who needed to get some playing time would play (Dipsy, Bolanos), if possible.

The Fire's strategy for the final game should be to do whatever gives the Fire the best chance of winning the MLS cup. I'd think that probably means playing some players who could use some time on the field. It might mean sitting someone with injuries or who needs a game out to recover from the wear and tear of playing. It could also mean sitting someone who's close to suspension, if a suspension would carryover into the playoffs. (I believe cautions are reset for the playoffs, but am not sure if a suspension would carry over.)

The game versus the Crew should be an almost playoff atmosphere as the Crew needs to win to have any chance at the playoffs. So it should be a good prep for the playoffs.

Playing Jaqua at right midfield was probably an experiment. With Damani and Ante firmly ensconced as the Fire's forwards, Dave S may be looking for ways to get Nate some playing time. I thought Nate did a creditable job. He's certaijnly strong on the ball and a load for the opposition. Hew fought very hard at times for the ball and contributed to some of the sustained attacks that ultimately did in the Rapids. He's definitely a keeper and work in progress.

19. RogerinIL

RogerinIL New Member

Feb 24, 1999
    An interesting side note re: Bob B. and the Metrostars. The Metrostars have the second best road record in the league and the second worst home record in the league. Considering the Open Cup fiasco of only 5,000 fans to cheer the 'Stars on, I don't think the problem is the coaching staff.

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For the love of God!

We are amazing. I'm so thrilled that the Fire won the match and the Supporter's Shield. The Fire dynasty is beginning.

Down with the Smurfquakes!

21. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Definitely. Too bad we didn't have cover like this the last few years! We have ridiculous depth for a team that was supposed to be rebuilding. Jaqua's going to come up big for us in the playoffs, I can feel it. I hope we keep him, but a talent like his needs playing time.

One thing that has surprised me has been Sarachan's reluctence to use subs much in many of our games. It seems like a lot of our games have only one sub before the very end of the game. Even games that we were in control of. For example, I didn't expect Damani to go 90 in the USOC final after coming back from England. After what people have said about this weekend's showing, I don't know why we haven't used a few of these guys a bit more. Not that what we've done hasn't worked, I guess... :)

22. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    yeah

...and has more class and less bitterness than I'm able to hold on to when thinking about the mutts.

In any case, while defending the job Bob and crew did is probably more appropriate than my revisionist history (which still delights me, anyway) I am curious to know if Peter has been as disappointed as I have at the tactics Bob Bradley's Metrostars employed against us this year (which is really what prompted my decision to take all credit for the past 5 years away from Bob and give it to Pete in the first place)...

Man, slapped down by the GM. That's gonna sting all day...

m

23. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You should get membership just to have "wrong, wrong and wrong" like Bethany has her "Bethany is right!" sig...

24. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    ...if the feds weren't already taking all my money just because I went to school, I'd have been at the game Saturday before I'd pay to remind everyone that Pete jacked me... ;-)

m

25. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Rhyme of the Ancient Virginia Beach Mariner

In addition to what Peter Wilt said, I'd also like to point out that Bob has completely rebuilt the Mutts and gotten them to second place in the East despite having the albatross of Nick S. around his neck. Considering that Nick is probably good for costing the Mutts 6 or 9 points per season through the sheer force of his stupidity, I'd say Bob's done a decent job over there.

Still, if anyone other than Dave Sarachan wins COTY, it will be proof that someone is spiking MLS's water supply with LSD.