Fire Caleb Porter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I believe I've said several times that I'd be thrilled for GBS to come home. I enjoyed watching him at Boca and I wish he could have stayed at Palermo. I'm not worried about what happened at the Galaxy.

TRUJDUB and hangthadj repped this.
  2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aww! Hang and Stanger getting along! What a special moment!

Not sure about GBS here. As someone said before, not every great player makes a great coach. Not sure I’d write off his fortunes in LA and take a chance on him here. And would he want to come back? His wife didn’t like it here, right? Happy wife, happy life and all.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally a sign of the Apocalypse.
    Has Caleb gotten a vote of confidence yet?

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a few weeks back now.

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should be packing his bags then.

6. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
    coaches are hired to be fired and I'd hate to have to do that to GBS

7. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Didnt know about thst could be a dealbreaker but i think to not interview him would be disrespectful if he was available and we had a opportunity here

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It would be more special if your stupidface would just shut-up.

stanger repped this.
  9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Zlatan must have had a lot to do with it. What a dysfunctional locker room that must have been.

Sounds like he's had a few nibbles in S. America, but nothing lucrative. Dude's only 48. Has 18 months in LA destroyed his coaching career?

I don't have a top choice for this job, other than my perpetual doubts about foreign coaches coming to MLS and understanding how the hell one builds a roster here. GBS obviously knows MLS and Columbus. We obviously have a long and successful history of having important Argentine players on the roster. I guess you could call me GBS-curious. But he'd need to present himself as someone who's learned from his experience in LA, and has a realistic vision for what he wants to accomplish.

I hope Bez has already made a list of potential candidates, and I'd be cool is GBS is on that list. But I also expect it to be a pretty long and comprehensive one. I've already emotionally moved on from Porter.

TRUJDUB and AC30 repped this.
  10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this hypothetical scenario, I would vote strongly against GBS as a coach. The criticism of him before was he didn't really have a style/system that seemed to help provide the platform for the squad. Obviously he had so much talent in that Boca squad that it could make up for it but in LA it was almost the same thing minus the talent. I don't think you can get away with that in MLS for all the many reasons we already know

11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, out of necessity he played a couple of younger players that were riding the pine and they were able to eek out a couple of results to keep us within shouting distance of the last playoff spot. He also begrudgingly changed to a two striker formation on Tuesday when we were down late.

Those two things may have given him a stay, for now.

12. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If Porter is still coaching next year what does that say about the front office ?

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s gonna be here, its the American sports mentality. Dude won a championship, so we gotta give him one shit year, and then another shit year to confirm, before we even think about doing something.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    In reality it wouldn't tell us anything we already didn't know. For as much as we appreciate this ownership group stepping up, investing in the manner that they have, and bringing last year's championship to Columbus, Columbus Crew is a bit further down on the Haslam priority list than other money making operations including the Browns and of course the truck stops.

They gave Caleb Porter a 5 year contract when that simply was not necessary. But they likely envisioned more than a one year rebuild, with a strong team coming into the new stadium and excitement driving a title challenge in the first full year of the new stadium. The championship arrived a season or two earlier than they could have reasonably hoped, and they are happy to live off the laurels of that for now. Like Kyle mentioned, the American sports mentality will grant Caleb another year, even when we humiliatingly miss the playoffs this season.

There is likely some disappointment in how this season has gone on the field, but that has been overshadowed by the opening of a new stadium. The ticket sales. The sponsorships. The luxury boxes, etc. This is a business.

They likely believe (probably correctly) that this revenue will continue to come in for the 2022 season. Someone, lower on the totem pole there is already bringing up some marketing plan that will draw upon Porter's personality (LOLOLOLOL), and the mentality/insecurity of Columbus Crew fans for some sort of revenge tour after a disappointing season. Think Columbus vs The World or some of that kind of nonsense.

Unfortunately Porter will likely be here next season because ownership already committed to him for 5 years, and because there is little to be gained from a business perspective in letting him go at the moment. Unless next season's ticket and sponsorship renewals fall way below expectations, combined with a terrible start to the season we are stuck with this jabroni. There is just not another manager out there who will move the needle in a business sense enough for them to make the move in the first full year in a new stadium.

So, I hope everyone enjoys what they have seen this season. Come get another cup of gruel Columbus. You're gonna like it, we promise!!

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If what you say is correct, and I don’t entirely agree with some of it, bringing GBS back might convince Dee to pull the trigger on Caleb.

I’m not saying I want GBS here as a manager, just that the story would be intriguing.

And as much as you like to harp on a 5 year deal for Porter, Dee could can him tomorrow and pay him with the change she finds in her couch.

16. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct -- but just as likely is that @hangthadj would start sh!tting Skittles.

P.S. Feel the Rainbow.

catfish9 repped this.
  17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they learned from the coaching debacle they had with the Browns at the beginning, maybe not.

I guess we will find out.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    GBS came to my mind too. I just don't see it happening.

Likewise, they could pay off Porter with the change from the couch. I just don't see it happening. I'd love to be proven wrong. But I don't see them just tossing away money, even couch change, on a lesser priority unless business forces make that change essential.

That said I'd love more than anything to eat my words here.

stanger repped this.
  19. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019
    while I definitely don't see them firing him before the start of next season, he's owed 2 million over the next two years & coaches contracts very rarely just expire.

He's either fired before the final season begins or coaching under a new contract. And if we're off to a bad start next year I can see Bez & co asking Dee to cut the check

20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Wise Hang, who might you suggest would be a better option to coach the team than Porter? Is there some massive stable of available managers out there? Ones with proven pedigree and results - particularly with MLS sides?

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh beautiful curious catfish, why do they need to have a proven pedigree of results with MLS sides? Why cast so thin a net when our re-brand has launched Columbus Crew as a global entity. Would you have counted Gonzalo Pineda as having a proven track record of success before he took over the Atlanta gig? When previously asked this question I mentioned Robin Fraser numerous times. His "pedigree" before this season could surely be questioned, but he's working wonders with Colorado this season...and with a roster not near as talented as Columbus.

Understanding that this is Bez's job and well above my paygrade I could name as well 2-3 players that have Crew ties and have coached under other MLS managers with varying levels of success. Ezra Hendrickson and Pat Noonan come to mind.

What's the worse that could happen? They could manage to miss the playoffs 4 out of 8 years in a league where it's harder to miss than make it?

I swear this board has less collective imagination that our beloved club's attack without Lucas. Maybe the fanbase doesn't deserve any better. Who knows.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I can't spend hours on this topic this is just a basic review but the status/experiences of the top 5 team in MLS right now. None of them outside of Arena and maybe Smith (more lucky than good) have any big track record of success before their current gig.

Bruce Arena (1) - Clearly one of the top American coaches of all-time. Don't need to give his background
    Peter Vermes (2) - Technical Director in 2006, interim manager in 2009 and full-time manager 2010
    Brian Schmetzer (3) - Assistant coach in 2009, interim manager in 2016 and full-time manager in 2016
    Robin Fraser (4) - Assistant at Real Salt Lake 2007-2011, Head Coach Chivas USA 2011-2012, Red Bulls Assistant, Toronto FC Assistant and Colorado head coach in 2019
    Gary Smith (5) - 2008-2011, Rapids Head Coach and won MLS Cup 2010, then to Stevenage and Atlanta Silverbacks before being the head coach for Nashville in 2018

hangthadj repped this.
  23. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking a page from Porter, let's back pass thrice in front of the goal mouth and just go with Armas.

24. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter is here next year. Hugo Pérez the year after. Anyone want to bet somebody else's beer on this one?

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm genuinely puzzled by fans who over and over ask questions like, "Well, sure the team has been absolute shit for months, but there can't be anyone to possibly replace the manager can they? Can you name me one?"

These are the same fans that couldn't pick two members of the Colorado Rapids out of a lineup of 10 random dude bros. They assume that those who are paid to run the franchise and ensure the clubs success have the same levels of ignorance as them, the casual Columbus fan. I guess I'm cursed for expecting a bit more from people paid 6 and 7 figures to do their job. I'm cursed for expecting a basic modicum of knowledge, and an ounce of imagination.

ZipSix, Tobias C, zman31 and 1 other person repped this.