Fire Caleb Porter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “No, I’m as happy as can be. #onelove “ post coming in 3....2....1....

hangthadj and DGA57v2 repped this.
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not every thread. After all, as evidenced in the preseason expectations pool thread I am more optimistic about the team’s chances this year than the vast majority of this board.

But, you do you Dennis. I appreciate you copy and pasting your diagnosis of me in virtually every thread. You seem to be a completely unbothered by differing opinions and completely in control of your anger. I’ll be sure to take your suggestion into consideration.

3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is where we are.

4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Optimism looks good on you, hang.

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't fall for it.

He's gaming you. He's building this Crew team up as being good enough to finish 1st or 2nd in the Conference so that when they finish 3rd or 4th, he can sill rail against bad-man Porter.

CybrSlydr, jairadballerina and DGA57v2 repped this.
  6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Despite what our failed former moderator thinks, this is a team that has more than enough talent to finish second in the east.

If he or any other jabroni that was speaking to our hot streak last year wants to tell me it was a mirage, I’m all ears. But the team has made improvements since then while other teams ahead of us have lost key players.

But this is where we are, jamokes like KC Bus hoping we finish 3rd or 4th to spite fans with more optimism. What a fan base.

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a time, what now seems like a long time ago, when you were the resident optimist on these boards.

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1708 KCbus, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    I'm optimistic about our prospects for this season. I'm just not AS optimistic as others. I'm still not anywhere near as high on Nagbe as most people here seem to be. Adi is a question mark. I was OK with trading Trapp, but it does mean we're going to be transitioning into something different, and that isn't always a smooth operation. And while I'm not deranged towards Porter, like hang is, to the point where if Porter literally turned water into wine, hang would bitch about what color of wine it was, I'm not convinced that he's all that great of a coach.

We're definitely on the right track, but we still need a lot of things to go right that aren't locks.

stanger repped this.
  9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

IMO, the club is being completely rebuilt into something most of the fan base won’t recognize, an actual professional franchise. It doesn’t happen overnight and mistakes will be made, but every little step isn’t the huge setback it would have been under previous underfunded or indifferent ownership.

Just give it time.

KCbus repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're really good at hearing what you want to hear.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It was comical to look back at the thread from 2007 or 2008 that you linked earlier this week and seeing so many of these posters who can not stop whining when someone points out our state of affairs in 2019-20 are ones that were calling for us to move on from Sigi in 2008.

This is a strange place. For some here personal animosity towards a fellow poster is more important than the good of the team. You have some posters questioning fandom, others yelling about a point being made across multiple threads (as if this isn't a function of message boards everywhere). It's completely foolish to believe that posters don't have their own biases for and against certain players, coaches, whoever on the team. But, for some posters it's become a crusade.

Look, Columbus Crew will exist long after Caleb Porter or Gyasi Zardes and hopefully long after Truck Stop Jimmy. The team has existed after the departure of McBride, Trapp, Cunningham (multiple times), Schelotto, Sigi, and the Trophy Tsar, Greg Andrulis. If Caleb and Truck Stop Jimmy lead this team to a title, I'd be among the most thrilled posters here. It's about the team.

And if in the midst of those celebrations if someone wants to yell at me, "hang, you were sooooo wrong!" I hope they feel free to do so. I'll be too busy celebrating the championship to care. But if my extremely broad shoulders and thick skin help some fans in their catharsis afterwards, all I can say is it would be an honor and a pleasure. I live to serve.

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you act like a complete asshole because you think it's for our own good?

CybrSlydr repped this.
  13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to the name we give to Porter once he brings championships to Columbus.

14. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Hang talking about crusades, funny. Like firing a coach before he was hired.....

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Measure twice, cut once....

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait... I thought I'd wandered onto the CBJ section of the hockey boards by mistake.

17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1717 LaMacchia, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    But don't mention them, or call out those who made them, lest you be labeled pessimist and naysayer and chicken little.

When mistakes are made, do not - under any circumstances - acknowledge those mistakes or any disappointment that they were made. Just go about your fandom as though nothing is amiss and everything is exactly in order. This is the way of the Realist Crew Fans.

Jim Bach and hangthadj repped this.
  18. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, plenty of posts were questioning Adi, questioning not having a logo on the kit.

19. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    There's no animosity. I took a hiatus of a few years from these boards and came back after the Crew was saved. Your schtick of "Porter is an asshole" and "Truck Stop Jimmy" and "Poor me" is just tiresome. Like I said, take a vacation and stop posting your garbage in every thread.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    There is plenty of discussion to be had about things that can or have gone wrong. Year one of a rebuild probably was one where the expectation was low and we still talked about Guzman getting playing time, not beating Kentucky at home and allowing a bunch of late goals costing us points. After all the changes we've made to the roster, if we're in last place in the summer playing boring ball, then is probably the right time to voice our displeasure about the issues on the filed or the coaching. To insult the coach or the owner just because you're an asshole (and you know I'm not saying you as in LaMacchia) shouldn't be the guiding light of these threads.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Meh. There is much more garbage than me that I wade through to get to the rare nuggets of two coherent thoughts strung together. I'm going nowhere. I love the team. I hate reddit. This is home. And if I can deal with the rest of the bullshit on the board, I can surely deal with your whining as well.

Upcoming vacations include a few days in Rehoboth Beach for a half marathon, a few nights at a cabin in Woodstock in April. And hopefully Paris and Ireland in the summer if my brother-on-law's family gets their act together.

Life's a beach, bro.

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “I hate the coach, the city, the team, the fans are mostly idiots but I love it here. Oh, I’m going to Europe on vacation!”

Did I sum it up accurately?

DGA57v2 repped this.
  23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the ******** are you on?

Hang loves the Crew. That you continue to doubt or explicitly/implicitly insinuate that he does not, well that is insane. I say that not to be combative, but rather to state the obvious.

Also, I am well aware that I am coming off as a hang apologist in his Fire Porter thread.

24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly this.

The incessant castigating he takes for stating his informed opinion on this matter is much worse than anything he says. After his posts having to scroll through 8 people saying how tired his shtick is the thing I find more annoying. Especially since what he's saying is objectively correct in many ways.

I only know what I see on the field. I have heard from someone who everyone on this board would trust to have good info that Porter is a jerk and that many players and FO stuff don't like him much. That Jimmy wanted "a winner" as his first hire so picked the unemployed guy who'd most recently won the cup. That's why he's our coach and why we had to pay out the nose to lock him up with maybe the most lucrative and longest term for an MLS coach in history.

But we're all fans of the team here. I feel that it's team first and the rest of the bullshit in some order after that for most of us. That the second thing fro some of you may be instant revulsion and obligation to respond to anything and everything another poster says on these boards is sad.

LaMacchia and hangthadj repped this.
  25. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am in complete agreement with you...

So long as you don't join @hangthadj in espousing the goal scoring prowess of one Andres Mendoza ;)

hangthadj repped this.