Fire Caleb Porter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh yes. The only Columbus Crew ever faces roster hardship defense. The apologists were always gonna arrive here.

Never mind we were playing a shitty expansion team, who’s roster was so poor the former coach said “we are screwed” before the season, who was also without their two DP’s, who just fired their manager weeks ago due to locker room turmoil. Never mind we had three weeks to prepare to play that team, at home, in front of a sold out crowd.

But sure, pat yourself on the back for recognizing that a win wasn’t gonna be in the cards here. After all, we were just unlucky. They manager was pleased with the performance and thinks there is a lot to learn from it.

2. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I expected a draw and one like that one we had, because I knew porter was coaching.

Did anyone else notice that after halftime, before the CLTFC goal, that the crew changed to bunker tactics. Etienne was deeper and Room played long balls. The crew played decently in the first half, but porter decided to change tactics and then had to change them back after the goal.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prove me wrong.

4. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Room, Moreira, Nagbe. Arguments could be made for Morris and Etienne.

foozer and chr1st repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s see.

Room sucks.

I said Moreira wasn’t a starter in this specific instance because he’s a right back, and he was playing more of a midfield role in this one.

Etienne isn’t good enough. He’s the best WE have for that spot, but he’s nothing special, and most MLS teams would pass on him.

Morris isn’t a complete 90-minute every-single-game guy yet.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Room could start for multiple MLS teams.

Moreira is a definite starter.

Etienne is our main offensive weapon this year, if he’s not a starter then I don’t know who is.

Degenek can start for multiple teams.

Williams could start for a couple teams.

Morris can start.

Nagbe.

Saying we only had one MLS starter is crazy.

Ch(Elsey), LaMacchia, hangthadj and 2 others repped this.
  7. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, anything can happen in an individual game. And Whether or not a coach is fired or retained shouldn't come down to one game. Which is why I gave PPG stats for the season to date.

And who's fault is it that Moreira was "out of position"? If Porter put Hurtado at center defender, would Porter get some of the blame if Hurtado gets beat for 3 goals, or would you just excuse it because what else can we expect when our team is so bad we have to put Hurtado at center defender?

8. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that Room sucks. But he definitely is an MLS starter because:
    • Caleb Porter starts Room as his first choice GK;
    • Bez gave him highest paid GK in league money.

Tobias C and chr1st repped this.
  9. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you greatly underestimate how many bad players are in this funny little league of ours.

Minnman, Ch(Elsey), hangthadj and 2 others repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Etienne being our main offensive weapon isn’t proof that he’s good enough to be a starter. It just means we don’t have anyone better. I’m ok if you think otherwise, but that’s what I think.

TRUJDUB21 and Paul171121 repped this.
  11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch games of other teams in this league and get back to me.

Here is who Etienne would start for right now:

• LAFC
    • LA Galaxy
    • Portland
    • Toronto
    • Columbus
    • Charlotte
    • Houston
    • Miami

That’s just at a quick glance.

12. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. We might agree that guys like Room, Etienne, Williams, etc....shouldnt be "MLS starting caliber players"...... but to say they wouldnt start at any other teams simply isnt true. Most teams arent perfectly stacked throughout their roster....so even our guys who are actually more suited to be USL starters, would and easily could start in numerous MLS teams.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’ll never get over the boldness of some people to make definitive statements as to where the Crew stands in the league’s pecking order, and where the the players stand in the league’s pecking order, when it’s clear by their statements that they pay attention to no other team than Columbus Crew.

ZipSix and LaMacchia repped this.
  14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When judging players its not whether or not they would be a starter in this league but rather are they above average starter for their position. Having 11 “they would start”won’t get you into the playoffs. If we really look at the roster and say who is top 15 for their position it’s much more beneficial conversation.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original post tried to justify the draw with Charlotte by saying the only unquestionable MLS level starter for us was Nagbe.

And IMO, I would rather have Morris over Nagbe which is just funny lol.

Is Nagbe better now? Yeah. But Morris is on 1/10 the salary of Nagbe, is a decade younger, and offers qualities that Nagbe doesn’t.

Rebuild needs to start at some point.

Tobias C, hangthadj, TRUJDUB21 and 2 others repped this.
  16. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Sedley's point is a larger one, which is that the discussion in this here forum would be vastly improved if the commentariat watched more MLS games, specifically those involving teams other than Columbus. Too many people here wear it almost as a badge of courage to only care about the Crew, and IMO their analysis of what plagues us suffers.

To that point I am in complete agreement.

LaMacchia, hangthadj and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm glad there's people who have the time to do that. Now, in my case, that's partly due to being older, as when I was younger I did know more about a lot of teams in the sports I followed. I've been realizing that there a whole lot of names I have no idea who they are. There's just so many teams these days. I suspect I do ok with hockey as I do go to at least 10 games a year and will watch on TV--but for the Crew there's now seasons where they simply don't play other teams. True in other sports as well. I noted that the other day that the AAA IronPigs (top farm team for my Phillies) have not been to Columbus in three years.

I went to the baseball all star game in Cincy a few years back and realized that I didn't know too many of the players in the game--but I *did* know all of the older players the honored at that game....

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are people really under the impression that I only watch the Crew? Me? The guy who still moderates the MLS forums? The guy who people in this forum have called a Don Garber stooge, a SUM mouthpiece and a Taylor Twellman wannabe?

Just because someone says it doesn’t mean you have to believe it, people.

19. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    someone called you a don garber stooge?

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have @Kyle Crew for all that jazz.

21. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just watch other teams pass the ball around, quickly, and accurate.

Then watch Porter's Crew. Complete mess with no direction going forward. That's coaching or rather the lack of it. I don't care who is on the field, ball movement never improves. A player holding the ball as long as he can while getting double teamed is Porter's style. It's just painful to watch. I would take 3G back in a second.

Paul171121 repped this.
  22. associa_tionfootball

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 10, 2019

According to this metric Room is barely in the top half of keepers

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so are two former Crew keepers....

Edit: This does go to show that Room is not the biggest issue with this team and, in fact, is fairly far down the list. Yes, I'd like much better than average for the price we are playing. But there's a lot of below average issues that may need to be fixed first.

24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will also add that it is further compounded by poor execution by the players. When we finally manage to possess with some purpose: to use the ball to pull the other team out of shape, get the switch of play to create an advantage on the weak side of 2v1 or 1v1, our attacking players, like Yeboah, don't make anything good happen.

Paul171121, KCbus and porchlight repped this.
  25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree that our defense isn’t our biggest problem. Only four teams have allowed fewer goals than Columbus (NYCFC, Philly, Dallas, and LAG).

However, only seven teams have scored fewer goals than us (Charlotte, Colorado, Minnesota, Miami, SKC, DCU, and Chicago).

Room is nowhere near worthy of the highest salary for a goalkeeper in the league, not even close, but he’s not the worst ever either.

kgilbert78 repped this.