Fire Caleb Porter pt. 2: The Cucho Era

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I agree with all of this we almost never can get another goal to take a 2-3 goal lead. We have been in so many close games because we don’t score enough from the wings. The most recent time we did get a 2-0 lead we got a red card. All the player movement you named should of happened this year. The thing about Pedro at LB is it hurt us at winger and Sands has done ok after a shaky start. But he wasn’t playing much till Pedro was hurt for good reason.

That type of results Finlay got is what we needed but instead we have Molino who has missed so many games due to injury. Yeboah also has been hurt and hasn’t acclimated to the squad. We need a DP winger on Cucho/LZ level and that should make us much better and allow us to not always start Etienne & Diaz

2. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Can we hire Jim Mora for a game just so he can rip one of these post game pressers when we blow a lead in the 2nd half?

the_rickler, YITBOS, Sagz and 1 other person repped this.
  3. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoffs?!? Don't talk about PLAYOFFS!! I just hope we can win a game!!

jairadballerina repped this.
  4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am tempted to suggest that we just launch CoachBot into deep space but I'm concerned that he'll then merge with Nomad and return to sterilize Columbus.

Possibly my day drinking has taken an unfortunate turn

TKyle, chr1st and CybrSlydr repped this.
  5. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Drinking what, ayahuasca?

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSU blew Toledo out of the water last week. After the game, defensive coordinator Jim Knowles said something about: "I don't think we played to our potential last week. That starts with me."

It's just so refreshing to see a coach take responsibility.

Porter out.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter said it's not a bad thing to be under pressure because it makes the players get that "need to win now" feeling.

You know what's better? Being in the top 2-3 positions and aiming for home field advantage.

Maybe the U of Akron can welcome him back.

8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIRE CALEB PORTER.

TracieB, ZipSix and Tobias C repped this.
  9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why you people are always so goddamned negative. We're going to win MLS Cup now.

Think about it: A tie gets us in. THAT'S WHAT WE DO!! And after that, we don't have to win a single game for the rest of our run. All we have to do is tie and then make penalties.

This thing is ours to lose.

And if you believe that shit...

RafaLarios and west ham sandwich repped this.
  10. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter did not make a single substitution in this match.

And Jona for Milos doesn't count.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sands --->>>
    <<<--- Diaz
    89'

Ball Kicker and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  12. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Yep. We were playing far too recklessly by attacking.

13. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit. How'd I miss that?

I'm standing by my point though. Everyone paying even half attention knew that game wasn't going to finish 2-0 or 2-1, and this f*cking guy doesn't even attempt to get an attacking sub made. Let alone save some starting attacking legs for do-or-die Sunday.

If Caleb deserves an apology from Howard Webb we all deserve an apology from Caleb.

hardhead repped this.
  14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Bourbon.

the_rickler and LaMacchia repped this.
  15. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happened in the middle of that huge scrum where Cucho got yellow carded for shoving Morris to the ground something or other while VAR was reviewing whether or not to review Charlotte's PK shout. There was a lot going on.

16. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    We don’t have any good attacking options to sub in. Molino is the best attacker on the bench and he is slow and not better than Pedro. Which is why sands came in and Pedro moved up. That was our best possible move. Unfortunately Artur was not allowed to be there to sub in for Nagbe.

what players could he have subbed in ? This roster is a damn embarrassment

17. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fake news we tried to counter but we did not push numbers. The best defense is a good offense we have struggled all year to capitalize and get another goal. We are excellent at giving up goals and most of it is on the players. Many of which play too many minutes which is more Bez fault than Porter. In Orlando we honestly need JRR and Farsi they are better than the other guys coming off the bench.

Sagz repped this.
  18. BlacknGold

BlacknGold Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My FAVORITE stat. How many times did we win two games in a row this season? Not even asking for a winning streak over here.

[​IMG]

19. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, is it shameful to root for a club whose manager deflects responsibility to others at all times even when it is patently ridiculous? Are we the baddies?

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He's building a Columbus against the World mentality.

Some might look at Columbus and see a team that struggles to win even one out of every three games. But, if you look closer you can see a conspiracy against Columbus. Terrible referee assignments, criminal referee decisions, weather delays, poor stadium illumination that blinds players from seeing upfield and instead forces backwards or horizontal passes, inexplicably starting Miguel Berry 8 matches and playing him for nearly 1,000 minutes.

These things are out of our hands. I'm glad that we have a manager who is speaking truth to power. When I hear Caleb Porter speak, I hear a leader. I am proud to be a Columbus Crew supporter. We will overcome.

zman31 and ColumbusFTW repped this.
  21. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm a horrible person but not for this reason.

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [QUOTE='FAKEJDUB21]To be fair to Caleb Porter we've only had 10 opportunities this season to win a second match. Bez should have fought the league office harder on the schedule.[/QUOTE]

BlacknGold and the_rickler repped this.
  23. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I completely forgot about Miguel Berry starting 8 games. The past 6 months (3 years) this team has been something to watch.

24. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    1) It was sarcasm
    2) Stop blaming Bez for Porter making the same coaching mistake over and over. His insistence on putting 9-10 guys inside the 18 yard box late in games when most don't have the height or discipline to defend has caused the team to drop 11 points in stoppage time and 18 points after leading in the 80'. This team with all its flaws and limitations would be hosting a home playoff game with a competent manager. They've spent $18M on the 9 and 10 positions and both struggle to score because of Porter's system.

TracieB and Bill Archer repped this.
  25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finally saw a replay of the sequence on Charlotte's first goal that Porter was complaining about.

He's not wrong. That free kick was taken from a spot that was nowhere near where it should have happened. That should have been re-taken. No question. People bitch at referees for slowing play down by ordering restarts for that reason, but this is a clear example of why it happens.

That said: Shut up. It was still 80 yards away from the goal that was scored in. You could always try playing some defense. Not to mention, the reason the ball wasn't close to the spot of the foul was because one of our guys (I want to say it was Nagbe) kicked it about ten more yards after the whistle. If the ref had dropped a yellow card on him for that, Porter most likely would have lost his mind over that too for being overly technical.