Fire Caleb Porter pt. 2: The Cucho Era

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signs that the end is near...... Screenshot_20220918_193645.jpg Screenshot_20180501-161839.jpg 20220918_192934.jpg

ZipSix, puttputtfc and Bill Archer repped this.
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That middle picture is exactly what I did in my living room.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  3. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I come into this forum and I expect to read knowledgeable people acknowledge what has been blindingly obvious for two seasons, and instead I read three pages of whether or not Philly fans should or should not have asked for Jim Curtin to be fired four years ago.

Aside from that one Cucho/Zela dragon ball Z moment, this is one of the least likable Crew teams I have ever watched. I get why we focus all of our attention on the defensive collapses, but are we really OK with scoring 0 or 1 goals in nearly every match?

4. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    No need to rebuild you need to keep your best players and get better ones to release ppl who bring value . The more money you make the more is expected …. Consistently

Molino
    Yeboah
    Room
    Nagbe

these 4 make too much money

but unless we can get someone better than Room or Nagbe we just have to hope Nagbe will restructure his contract so he isn’t a DP

then we need wingers who consistently produce period & a starting left back

^all the above listed the bare minimum required and should have already been accomplished

5. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO COACH COULD DO BETTER

ColumbusFTW, hangthadj and ZipSix repped this.
  6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly we have late game struggles but I also want to focus on our offense. Lucas, Cucho, Diaz, and a combination of Etienne, Yaw and Molino should produce more offensive punch.

Only 4 eastern conference teams have scored less.

SourCream&OnionUtd and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  7. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE CAN'T FIRE CALEB, SOME PEOPLE WANTED SIGI FIRED!

8. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Mensah hurt, who else is there to cycle the attack through??

ColumbusFTW, puttputtfc, ZipSix and 3 others repped this.
  9. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, for those still clinging to Bez being the primary problem. What I saw yesterday in the first half was a Crew team with definite superior quality players than Portland.
    And then what I saw in the second half was a trash heap of something not really quite resembling soccer.

ColumbusFTW, hangthadj, CBusAlex and 2 others repped this.
  10. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    No coach that the Crew can legitimately hire with this roster . We ain’t getting world class coaches here. We couldn’t even get Guillermo Barros Schelotto to consider us. So our options will be pretty limited.

11. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    And you heard Porter talk about subs we just are not a very deep team. Late blunders are due to all 3 aspects the rosters , coaching , and the players.

For me i blame them in that order GM, Coach and lastly players we have. Fire everyone and get better players

12. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    The galaxy's first choice was Caleb Porter. HSG outbid them. The galaxy settled on Schelotto, who wasnt very good as a manager.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/caleb-porter-set-to-choose-columbus-crew-over-la-galaxy-23205091

LaMacchia repped this.
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we certainly have a depth issue, blaming this debacle on anything other than a coach that is out of ideas, as he acknowledged in the postgame, is just wrong. We have the starting players to compete for a cup, we don't have either the bench players or the mentality to hold onto leads.

That's 100% on the coach.

djtrinidad, Tobias C, KCbus and 5 others repped this.
  14. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's definitely not true.

Ball Kicker, foozer, ColumbusFTW and 3 others repped this.
  15. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Smoke n mirrors

not sure I believe that , sounds like contract leverage .

Either way Porter wasn’t my first choice but it seemed like there was only 2 good choices and GBS if he wouldn’t consider us left one .

So if we fire Porter we may have to take a unproven coach because like I said we have limited options . If we get a coach worse than Porter that would suck but it’s a possibility when your organization isn’t highly regarded in the world of futbol . We likely need to overpay someone to even have a chance at a quality coach . I really hope we can get a better coach but I’m not so sure we can. Whoever we get I just hope we get a much better roster or it won’t matter.

16. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    According to board experts they say he turned us down

17. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you give it a rest? Are you having a manic episode or something? 100 posts over the span of four days is too many. Go for a walk.

ColumbusFTW, the_rickler and hangthadj repped this.
  18. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Im good i just don’t drink the same tea as the Porter out ppl. As if that will solve all our problems.

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is not, however, the same thing as "he didn't even co sidereal us". Which is what you said.

As for Ives Galarcep, well, it's Ives Galarcep. You have to load up the salt shaker.

20. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    If he doesn’t want to interview for the job because he wife doesn’t want to live in Columbus . I would deem that he didn’t consider us and was just polite as a former player should be. Call it what you want , it may be true that the Crew believed Porter was the best option. I have no idea on that , either way GBS & Porter are not world class coaches. The list someone jokingly gave was full of guys who would never come here.

Columbus potential hirings are limited to a less talented pool of coaches. Which is exactly what I was getting at. It’s a case of fire Porter and be careful what you ask for. Because if the roster doesn’t start getting better than it could be that we end up in a even worse situation. I hope honestly that we fire both Bez & Porter and get better players. But if we only fire Porter than I hope we get better players so the next coach actually has a good chance to succeed consistently and long term.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're pretty much wrong here. If you have a setup where a coach can be successful (owners willing to spend and a good organization doing the leg work) and will pay top dollar for coaching talent, then there are very few guys who aren't interested.

Sigi came here and they don't get better. He only left because the Hunts tried to cheap out and he wanted to live closer to his grandchildren.

And as noted Porter was a hot commodity. The Haslams stepped up with cash.

Sure there are always going to be guys who want something Colum us can't provide but before you go making blanket statements about how we're not in the running for top coaches you need to be specific. Who are you talking about?

And please don't say Juergen Klopp because it makes you look like an idiot.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is stupid.

ZipSix and ColumbusFTW repped this.
  23. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I didn’t name any coaches but we won’t be taking top coaches from the best leagues in the World. MLS has gotten better but many won’t consider MLS. Then within MLS we don’t have the ability to match a market like LA or NY. So we won’t be getting a world class coach just like we wouldn’t get world class players in their prime. Perhaps there is some old retired coach we could snag if we wanted.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh. Life is just too short.

I'm cracking that bottle of Beefeater and saying to hell with it.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    We could surely get Courtois to take the job. I'd be fine with giving him a chance, though maybe not a 5 year deal. If we want to aim high, Tata will probably be looking for a job after the WC.

I agree with the poster who noted our offensive deficiencies are likely a bigger problem than our late defensive collapses. We've scored 41 goals in 31 games this year. Back in 2015 we scored 57 on our way to the cup final. Kei had 22 goals and 8 assists. I could see Cucho matching that next season. Pipa had 8 and 8. Lucas can reasonably try to exceed those numbers. Meram had 6 and 4 and Tchani had 5 and 4. Those are Etienne or Diaz numbers. But Finlay had 12 and 12 and we don't have anyone like that on the roster at the moment. If we'd scored another 9 or 10 goals this season, even randomly distributed, we'd probably have a home playoff game locked up by now.

I'm not too worried about LB. Pedro is 34 years old and was run into the ground this season but he played well when on the field and Sands acquitted himself well. But CB is a bigger problem. Mensah is in decline, Williams and Anibaba are liabilities when on the field and Degenek is about average.

If we get a new coach, convince Nagbe to redo his contract so he can be bought down to non-DP, and add a top winger, while adding some CB depth, we could have a good season next year.

Tobias C, hardhead, TRUJDUB21 and 4 others repped this.