Fire Bruce Arena!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Cyclonis, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The dude is toast. Knowing that we were working with limited finances due to having both Donovan and Beckham, he has failed to create any sort of depth in the squad. This is apparent when key players are missing, which they certainly will be during the Gold Cup.

Remind me again why we traded Gordon? Was is so we could sign JPA and Barrett to lengthy contracts? YIKES! And what about B-Mac, who could play both defensive midfield and centerback? Mr. Arena deemed him not good enough as well.

While RSL, the team who beat us in the MLS cup final, is now playing Monterrey in the CONCACAF Champion's League final, we are arguing amongst one another about how far we should be taking our Charlie Davies jokes.. and I for one, blame the coach!

2. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It had to start sooner or later...

3. NNE20

NNE20 New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time we were close to signing Ronaldinho and needed the roster spot.

I'm immediately regretting jumping in on this but:

Do I always enjoy Bruce Arena's style of play? No. Scott French, in his recent ESPN editorial, summed up Arena's strategy when he described the DC United game as "a gritty encounter that emphasized the 1-on-1 battles, especially in midfield, at the expense of creative, possession soccer."

However, in the two years since implementing Arena's tactics we have come in second and first place respectively in the regular season table AND we have had the second highest attendance average. Also, Beckham seems to finally be giving it his all (I attribute that 100% to Arena)

If Arena's strategy came at the expense of winning I would want him gone. Period. However, until that day comes IN BRUCE I TRUST.

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Funniest thread I have seen in a while. Bruce has only led us to two season where we finished 1st in the west. I guess that's not good enough. We should be finishing hire than Man U!!

We have only played 5 games and we are 2-1-2. Not a big deal at all. One lose in 5 is very good actually.

5. BlueMagic

BlueMagic Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Avalon
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty much. it was just a draw folks. start this up again when we don't at least finish with a Supporter's Shield.

6. galaxy500

galaxy500 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not gonna panic yet. Even with Bunker ball in full effect, we had that game won vs DC. BS antics by Davies and BS call from the ref.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Er what? We're 5 games into the season after winning the Supporter's Shield. Let's wait a little before we get on this bandwagon, no? It could be a worthy bandwagon, but I'm not nearly ready to judge.

8. Eyenigma

Eyenigma Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there wasn't a dive or a bogus penalty would we really be having this topic? When Becks goes back to the UK next year and some salary space opens up maybe we revisit this. But just to play devil's advocate - who would you possibly get to replace him?

Agreed with the comments in that he's really done what he needs to with the squad to shine. Seems a bit premature to suggest his sacking.

9. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol we won the Supporters Shield last year and we barely lost the MLS Cup on penalties the year before. If Landon and Edson had done better on penalties, like their quality should have made easy, then we would have a MLS Cup and SS thanks to Bruce.

Until Bruce stops delivering results than I am on board with what he does. I would love for a coach to make us exciting winners but who can do that? Do we want to sacrifice winning for the possibility of maybe still being boring and at the same time losing?

I am not a gambling man so I don't get it.

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plus there is no coach currently unemployed who is better than Bruce. Bruce is able to handle our big stars and get results, something previous coaches for the galaxy failed at miserably cough cough ruud. I am happy with Bruce. My only problem is the lack of quality signings. It seems that angel may be done or at least not deserving that DP contract. Although it is early in the season.

11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is what happens when you suffer a bitter tie --- LAG fans on the BS boards begin trolling themselves.

12. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cyclonis & Flash, I hear the frustration about the style and decisions at times, buuuuuttt.....

That's just plain crazy talk!

It's way too early in the year. The results speak for themselves. (MLS Cup final that we lost on penalties, SS & conference final in Bruce's two full years.) We lost Buddle and JPA isn't producing the same results yet, but that was a risk we HAD to take after losing him. Bruce has made good moves and bad moves, but he's drafted extremely well for the picks that we've had. We're going to make the playoffs this year, and maybe this year we make the run from down in the standings that RSL and CR's made the last two years. Give it a few games with all the players before we judge it too much.

I don't really feel like going back to missing the playoffs every year. There isn't some uber-coach out there waiting in the wings, and we're NOT patient enough to take a chance on some young coach like Kries who "might" work out to the next big thing. This is probably the last year of the window before the team reshuffles a bit, so time to hang tough, make the playoffs, and hope for a really good run.

13. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Panicky overreaction threads make my Monday morning.

14. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We've all been there. You're at a party, you are feeling good and you have been chatting to a good looking girl all night.. then you decide have another tequila shot to keep your buzz going. One tequila shot turns into two, two turns into three and so forth, until before you know it, the girl is gone, and you end up on the bathroom floor, smelling of urine and vomit.

IMHO, the MLS cup final was our peak buzz and we have been nailing tequila shots ever since, in a weak attempt to get back there. I say we just take the girl's number down, have a cigarette and relax until the next party starts, b/c things are only getting worse at this one, and I really need to piss! :eek:

15. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AAAAAH!!!! Let's all freak out because we're 2-1-2 and only behind the leaders by one point in the western table!!!

Derp

[​IMG]

16. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Bruce play the sexiest soccer? No
    Does Bruce make our team an MLS powerhouse? Yes

'nough said

17. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say this though, for not just the last game but for this whole season. WE NEED MORE GOALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did like our midfield with Franklin tho, perhaps having this exact midfield with Donovan up front with Angel is what we have been looking for?

18. MLSoverEPL

MLSoverEPL New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Let's be patient guys. The season barely started. We have a playoff system here, so we can afford to have a slow start. I am sure we will be a whole different team later on in the season. Bruce got the experience and he won enough in his career. I am still confident he will improve the team and I got no doubt that we will win the MLS cup this season.

19. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps these are all key signs of winning MLS Cup? The best team in the early season never seems to win it

20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly enough, Jeff Sagarin's number-crunching has the Galaxy third in the league currently, behind RSL and Philly. I think party due to the fact that based on his number-system, we have had the toughest strength of schedule so far.**

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/mls11.htm?loc=interstitialskip

**Disclaimer: I have no idea how his ranking system works. Math nerds feel free to educate us...

21. DeMpSeYfan6

DeMpSeYfan6 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    fullerton
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me a lot of when we got rid of Sigi for not playing attractive soccer even though we were in first. Look how well that worked out for us and what he was able to accomplish in Columbus. Some people need to pump the brakes and be careful what you wish for.

22. GalaxyGal

GalaxyGal New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Endline 101 Row A
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Bring back Gordon! The new forwards are awful.

23. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Alan is just tearing up the league, compared to, say, Mike Magee? And you have already figured out that Lopez (Let's see, you got to see him in two whole games.) is not quality.

Oh, I get it, another self-inflicted troll...

24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've played all of 5 games, and both of our draws had factors that favored the other team. In DC there was Okulaja repeatedly buying DC's dives. We played New England in conditions that neutralized technical ability and favored physicality - and they've probably got the biggest starting lineup in the league.

25. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how everybody has been shouting to bring back Gordon, or how stupid it was to get rid of him. Um... 16 goals in 99 caps for the G's? Nothing special.