Fire Broadcast Team: Copy Arlo White

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bigredmachine, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Watched the Seattle game on NBCSports last night and I continue to love the way Arlo White does a game. No jabbering about peripheral topics, just good solid play by play that keeps the fan focused on the game. The Fire's broadcast team needs to listen to these broadcasts and copy them. Carrying on a conversation about something not directly related to what is happening on the field distracts from the action. White talks most of the time and describes what is happening in an interesting way. His sidekick adds comments far less often than most second chairs and that's good, but he also points out tactical points or actions by a player that may help or hurt what is going on. If I want small talk, I'll watch a sport where nothing is happening for long stretches, like baseball. Focus on the action and add to it.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the ignore list

3. SoFo

SoFo Member

May 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched all three of the NBC Sports Net games announced by Arlo White, and I like him. What I notice is he is prepared. There's not a player who sets foot on the field with whom he is unfamiliar. He didn't just drop in for this game, he thoroughly studied up for it.

4. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a little harsh... :D

I believe he's decent. Maybe bigredmachine doesn't know that Arlo was Seattle's TV announcer up until his gig with NBC Sports Network? The bias was obvious last night - that's for sure. It was even worse if you saw any of home (through Direct Kick) Seattle's broadcasts over the years.

5. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Arlo Guthrie does a great story song. All the other folk singers should be more like him.

6. I don't actually think the guy is too bad but this is just incorrect, dude talks a lot about non-game things

7. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just got Dan Kelly.

[​IMG]

8. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    the fire don't need an arlo white Clone.let the Seattle Anglophiles have their Leicester fantasyland to themselves.the fire need to focus on their actual identity.
    they should be in the hunt for a quality bilingual announcer.one who is fluent and comfterable in English and Spanish.one who may have announced games in Spanish but is comfortable enough to do games in English.
    its about creating a bridge and unified message to all the fire fans.it would also be a much truer representation of the club. fanbase and city.it would be authentic branding instead of a contrived gimmick trying to ape English football.

9. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    and BTW..I didn't say they need to be Mexican or even Hispanic.just fluent on Spanish and that style broadcasting.

10. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This guy? Along as we don't have any Asian players.:eek:

[​IMG]

11. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Unless he's going to be doing part of the broadcast in spanish, what would be the benefit of having a spanish speaking commentator doing the english-language broadcast? I guess he could interview players after the game who don't feel as comfortable in english, but honestly they aren't going to want that interview on the english language broadcast anyway. I'm trying to see your point here.

I wish they would just get someone who knows how to do the job, knows the sport, and won't talk endlessly about stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

Actually I'll give you this: I'd rather listen to a spanish language broadcast than John Harkes.