News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    Shall we compare?

Gregg’s coaching history:
    2011 LA Galaxy (assistant)
    2011–2013 Hammarby IF
    2013–2018 Columbus Crew SC
    2018– United States

The Mayor:
    2014 Hannover 96 II (assistant)
    2014–2015 Hannover 96 U15
    2015 Hannover 96 (assistant)
    2015–2018 Hannover 96 U17
    2018 VfB Stuttgart (assistant)
    2018 United States (assistant)
    2020–2021 Germany U15 (assistant)
    2021 Las Vegas Lights
    2022– Los Angeles FC

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the US's road qualifying record in 2018? 2014? 2010? 2006? 2002?

In 2022 the US was 1W-3D-3L on the road in the Ocho. Losses at Panama, Canada, and Costa Rica. draws at Mexico, El Salvador, and Jamaica

In 2018 the US lost at Guatemala in the 4th round, in the Hex: lost at home to Mexico, at Costa Rica, at home to Costa Rica and at Trinidad and Tobago

In 2014...the US lost at Honduras, and at Costa Rica in the 4th round. They lost at Jamaica in the third round.

In 2010.....lost at Costa Rica. and at Mexico in the Hex. and they lost at Trinidad in the third round.

2006 ......lost at Mexico and Costa Rica in the Hex

2002....Lost at Costa Rica in the third round; lost at Mexico, at Honduras, and at Costa Rica

1998.....lost at Costa Rica in the Hex, also had 5 draws. and lost at Costa Rica in the third round.

3. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    11 years as a head coach vs 2?

gogorath repped this.
  4. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    I’m ok with another cycle of Berhalter if the alternative is a shiny new, or old dull, object from the MLS.

5. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    Gregg is a continuation of the problem.

You’re making Greg sound like he was a straight f’ing baller. Palace was in League One when he played there. Energie was Bundesliga II. Meanwhile, Cherundolo helped 96 gain promotion, battle and stay in the Bundesliga.

You are right about GGG starting two games at the 2002 WC. After not playing a single minute in the group stages, he started against Mexico and then Germany. So let me fix my original comment, and I give you credit for helping me be more accurate with my analogy: Greg was the Jesus Ferreira of 2002. In 2006, he was the Roldan (or Arron Long), as I don’t think he played a single minute.

The Mayor should have started over GGG in 2002 as well, and that brings me back to my claim that GGG is a continuation of the problem: the good ole boy system that’s still in place in American soccer needs to end.

Bruce gave him time and sat better players in 2002. Bruce brought him along in 2006 even though he had better options. Greg = Bruce.

6. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    that’s not the way to look at it.

Greg got his start in as head coach because Bruce. See my precious post about GGG being a continuation of the good ole boy system. Gregg was Bruce’s assistant for one season and landed a HC gig.

The Mayor on the other hand has coached in a variety of positions. A man whose had to work hard to get to where he is. Just like when he played professionally. He’s a goddamned trailblazer. Greg is a good ole boy.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Gregg Berhalter, thank you for your services.

adam tash repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tuchel is available...

smokarz repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crystal Palace was not in League 1 when Berhalter was there. They were in the First Division, which is the current equivalent of the Championship.

And Berhalter playing over Cherundolo in 2002 had nothing to do with any sort of old boys network. Cherundolo got hurt at the beginning of that tournament and wasn’t available to play, but even more than that Berhalter was a center back and Cherundolo was a right back.

As for 2006, Berhalter was an injury replacement for Cory Gibbs. His selection had nothing to do with an old boys network and more to do with a lack of other options (which was part of the problem with the 2006 team).

Roger Allaway, superdave and jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sort of curious as to whether people would rather have Tuchel or Berhalter as manager.

11. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    Prove it. I don’t remember; I was a you g teenager, and to be honest you seem like you got to “live that experience”, so good for you. I didn’t.

Greg was never that good. I remember that. That’s my point. Why was he brought in over other players? You’ll say they didn’t exist, just like they don’t “exist now”. I disagree. Pefok is objectively better than Ferreira and Haji. In 2002, there were better options as well.

I see you didn’t want to touch on the topic of Gregg’s coaching career leading up to 2018. The good ole boy topic applies to his opportunities as a coach more so than as a player.

12. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about a little more context?

In the aforementioned cycles, the level of talent at the current U.S manager's disposal is head and shoulders above anything that any other previous U.S manager has ever enjoyed. And while Canada and Jamaica have certainly improved this cycle, none of the other teams we faced, including Mexico, were anything special this past cycle. This Costa Rica team isn't as good as the last cycle, and Mexico is ancient.

adam tash repped this.
  13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you name one player you'd have brought in Berhalter's place in 2002 or 2006?

Our other center backs in 2002 were Jeff Agoos, Carlos Llamosa, and Eddie Pope. In 2006 it was Pope, Onyewu, and Jimmy Conrad. Our pool was much less deep back then and Berhalter was as good as we had. Especially when someone like Cory Gibbs got hurt.

Cherundolo being hurt in 2002 and playing a different position from Berhalter are both things that are extremely well known.

Pefok being better than Ferreria or Wright is a subjective not an objective statement.

And yes ex-players get opportunities to get coaching jobs compared to others. But that also applies to Steve Cherundolo, Josh Wolff, and others from that era who have gotten jobs through the same network. It was Bob Bradley who brought Cherundolo to the LAFC organization in the same way Arena brought Berhalter into as an assistant.

14. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hated Agoos in 2002. He was a nuisance.

adam tash repped this.
  15. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    We went into the last game needing only not to lose 6-0.

16. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming into the USMNT forum is always a fun trip. It’s like a different reality where people think the US is an underachieving team because we “only” make the round of 16 at the WC.

Chesco United and DoctorD repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ONLY way you keep a manager for a 2nd cycle is if he absolutely kills it and turns in an exceptional preformance.....the only way. and, even then, you are plying with fire....

but in berhalter's case.....can anyone argue he was great? or even above average? is this really a guy that us supporters and players should be anxious not to lose??? lol

if the answer is no...which is it is....see ya!!

Bye Greggggg...thanks for your sincere efforts....now go coach gym class or something.

18. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We secured our qualification during the final 3 games.

19. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    So did everybody else.

20. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    I’m sure there were overlooked, talented American players then. I know for example that Spector was injured but would likely not get a chance anyway. Bruce had Dempsey on the bench in 2006. Enough said. Keeping Reyna on the bench is GGG doing Bruce shi*.

There’s a difference in the way Greg was led into coaching MLS and the way Steve did. Steve coached for a decade in Germany before the inevitable connections worked in his favor. But that’s how it should be. The best will eventually attract attention. Greg started MLS right after being fired from Hammarby for his team’s “lack of attacking play”.

21. Rezelby

Rezelby Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I read a tweet saying that Berhalter thought we dominated this match, that can’t be true can it? Could a man be that delusional?

22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course a man "can." Just look, from either side or the middle, at current politics. But I doubt that attribution is correct. I don't like Gregg Berhalter's coaching at all and I believe that he is naive in the extreme I do not believe he would make any such statement after the 90 mins the US spent stumbling around the pitch.

23. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ==================
    I go back to going to soccer games in LA area since the day I got my first drivers license and could go (late 70's). The era was pretty bleak and we went to a fair amount of college soccer just to see games live. Really no TV except for Spanish and I would actually buy La Opinion just to try to make out soccer in the sports page. What MLS has done in a short time is truly amazing and we need to stop comparing it to Europe and currently the World Cup. MLS has built beautiful SSS to give our game a proper home (in most places). We are building academy programs and in my opinion, still only scratching the surface for talent in country as large as ours. We have more sponsors, advertising and various forms of media coverage than anytime for any league ever in this country. Crowds are growing steady. Teams compete in CCL and now we have finally won it. These are all good for the domestic game.

The international thing is a separate issue and processes. Yes, we have developed players (foreign and domestic) who have moved on to other/bigger clubs. Yes, I am ok with us being a sellers league right now, rather than a retirement home. Ultimately, the circle will come full circle and help the national team. We keep developing local talent and they move on to "bigger" leagues, they in turn should come back and represent the national team. Win Win.
    I know some players have skipped the MLS part and gone straight to Europe, but I see that being exception rather than the rule, especially as we get to 29 MLS teams with reserve teams and academys.

Bottom line, if you asked me in the 70's & 80's that I would have a large national league (MLS) and yes (USL-C) too, have build stadiums, reserve leagues and academys, I would simply not believe it. We are sending players overseas and the national team now has a bigger depth than every. It is all good and getting better and in such a short time.

McT and jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    General comment on World Cup
    1/ First team depth is good, but that assumes everyone is 100% healthy. We had players coming off injury, not playing alot and then injuries in the games themselves.

2/ We need to develop 2nd team depth, had we had a deeper bench, substitutes could have really made a difference.

3/ We need strikers with a nose for goal- game changers, poachers etc.

4/ We need a solid CB and more, especially since I don't see Ream playing in 2026.

5/ And in general, our young players need to play as much as possible, not riding the bench for their club teams. And now the national team has to figure out how to prep over the next 4 years since we won't have qualification to deal with. Nations League & Gold Cups will very important, but we have to find other ways to play higher level caliber teams (Europe and SA) more often.

Other than that, proud of this group.

25. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we should not have had to wait until then. THAT'S THE POINT.