News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think we have to wait until after the cup to make ay decisions about Berhalter. His status should be directly tied to how the team does in Qatar. Extending Klinsmann before 2014 was a horrible idea and saying Berhalter needs to go before we see the results would be silly as well. The funny thing is, if the team doesn't do well and he gets cast aside he may be a better coach when he is fired than when he was hired. He has improved quite a lot since his early days with the US. It was pretty ugly at first.

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will be really hard to judge Berhalter based on Qatar because our success will be tied to how well our keeper plays.None of the current group are good as Howard ,Freidel,Keller,or even prime Guzan.

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Well, previous coaches didn't have guys who played for Juventus or Barcelona. Dealing with making the most of what player pool you have is kind of the job description. I think it is a real stretch to say that the current playerpool isn't at least as good as those we've had in the past if not better.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm referring specifically to our keepers and to a lesser extent ,center half (frankly,a historical issue in out player rool with the exception of Eddie Pope.
    Our front is very high end now in comparison to the past,but who cares if we are crap at the back?

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I completely agree that the team has weaknesses. We are weak goal, we lack a number 9. But, every team has weaknesses and positions where they are better or worse. Overall, I just don't think this squad is poor enough that Berhalter needs to be graded on a curve.

6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither do I.I think the press, posess , and inshallah is a recipe for disaster against England and possibly Iran in a must win game.

7. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    What was ugly at first?

8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yuell and Trapp charged with controlling the game, Adams right back. Watching Mexico destroy us as we tried to play carefully from the back at all times. Low pressure, eic... Lots of changes since those early days to get the team looking how it does now. It's great that the team changed, evolved and got better. But a lot of the original plan was scrapped for good reason.

neems, Excellency and laxcoach repped this.
  9. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I don’t think that we have soccer sensibilities mature enough to have a good vantage by which to judge any coach in any situation.

In the NBA, we view a team full of developing players and rookies as one that likely has little chance to even make the playoffs much less one who wins the title. The pattern of teams full of lottery picks getting spanked by mature teams full of stars in their primes is expected and normal every season. It’s how people bet. Those are the expectations. The same set of observations generally applies in the NFL. Those are both mature, well-developed sets of beliefs built on patterns of facts. Not 100% (nothing ever is), but that’s what people will place bets on. If a coach took one of those teams to the playoffs, it would be viewed as a marvel.

This USMNT is a team full of promising rookies, some of which are actually getting playing time at their clubs. The ones who have gotten playing time with the USMNT have had expectably-uneven performances. There are three young players who get regular play at their high-level clubs: Pulisic, McKennie, and Dest. There are others on lesser clubs who get mixed playing time.

The facts are that Berhalter has gotten results with this group of young players who don’t always get playing time and a smattering of other young players and veterans from the less-than-standard domestic league that isn’t even the best domestic league in the region. To use another sport as a comparison, our league is a minor leagues to the major leagues in Europe and to a lesser extent South America and Mexico.

What are reasonable expectations for a team full of young players? I’ll tell you this much, the idea that they should plow through qualifying and never lose is laughably ridiculous. It’s absurd. It’s like a bunch of 16 year olds playing high school soccer and their friends are setting the expectations with the same naive view of the world that they have in their own worlds. If they can beat England with the US team in FIFA, then Berhalter is a failure if he cant do it using the same players they select in FIFA. It’s pretty funny if you think about it.

10. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Some of what you described is explainable given the player pool at the time. It was undeveloped given the over-reliance on a core group of players for the previous four years.

In retrospect I think that may have been a reasonable approach. Musah was not here, LDLT had not developed, and Jonathan Gonzalez was the great developing hope who stopped accepting call ups. Berhalter was looking to have that central player distribute the ball progressively (Adams is a pure destroyer whose offensive contributions are intermittent). Antonee Robinson was an erratic mess, Dest was a youth player, etc, etc. Berhalter had begun cycling the player pool from the previous regime. He made a habit of calling in guys who were less-known and giving them a chance, especially in areas of need.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree and it is a shame the process did not start earlier but that's the nature of the WC cycle: Time.

Unfortunately, I could see him getting an extension for the very reason that he is improving while ignoring the fact that most managers don't fare well in the 2nd cycle. After Qater, I'd much rather see him go to Austin and let Wolf and Reyna take over the National team. A new broom sweeps clean.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna? The guy who put this team together?
    Screenshot_20220730-163434_Google.jpg

Excellency repped this.
  13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He had the vision to see that the dude trying to look like a woman trying disguise herself as a dude at a saloon in the 1860’s was a player worth putting on the field.

RossD and MPNumber9 repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great breakdown

Marko72, rooted, deejay and 1 other person repped this.
  15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant analysis. I have to agree with him about Berhalter's three different playing systems. Credit to Gregg for evolving his system to fit the personnel.

deejay and nobody repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I remember Mix could do no wrong and now he can do no right. The wisdom of crowds I guess.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Greg is having some luck as well. That's a good sign, i mean some players are rounding into form and getting good roles with clubs, just as we need it most: Pulisic, Aaronson Weah, Musah, Robinson, Dest, LDLT,Adams. There's a good chance McKennie will be out of the way with his shoulder problem which will clarify things beautifully and speed the game up while improving our press.

The only real bad luck I can think of is Miles Robinson (fingers crossed). People will add Reyna in there but as good as he is, he hadn't really progressed so much in his few appearances as to be damaging by his absence, especially with the emergence of Musah and LDLT and Aaronson as midfield progressors.

I'm rooting for these guys to be able to fill some holes in the team by November: Ferreira (starting 9 who can score the ball), Scally (inverted left fullback with reliable passing), Richards (second cb) Morris (attacking sub).

b.t.w., phase 4 was missing in the video: Horizontality, (As in Uruguay game when Berhalter overloaded our right side with McKennie. Uruguay passed right into it knowing that the right side could easily be bypassed with another pass to the other side of the pitch which would be empty of defenders. )

Musah has a good knack for horizontality on offense not so much on defensive reads. Berhalter needs to study this aspect of the team and work on it in September with the regulars.

18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica 2 - 0 USA

Zimmerman was beaten badly at 3:52 with very poor positioning. He should have been facing more toward the attacking player.
    Terrible defending by Jedi at 5:40. Follow the defender and stay goal side.

The team should watch this match over and over again.

20. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Not bad, but far too heavy on the Twitter tropes.

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Berhalter's done a good job with this team on the balance, and for the most part has made the right calls in terms of talent appraisal, something which has gone VASTLY underappreciated, here and in the fansphere in general.

Next year we should have a new coach, whether in January or in June. I do not wish to carry this over for two cycles. He's done a great job with the kids. Now we need an Xs and Os guy for the next cycle at home, which is not something that Berhalter really is, and it's frankly time for a fresh voice for players to listen to.

The Clientele repped this.
  22. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I’m liking this Cherundolo guy in LA.

23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's still a little bit green to be the pick for my liking, but what little track record he has is indeed looking very good at this rate. I wouldn't be surprised if he should become the USMNT head coach at some point in the future. He ticks pretty much all of the boxes.

The Clientele and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  24. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Even before Bale came along, he had LAFC winning at a blistering speed.

He’s managing personalities well and guys play hard for him.

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    So did Bradley. That club experiences ups and downs. I think he'll be a good manager over the long haul, though. He has the right background, and he has the right mentality. He always did; even as a player it was easy to see that he'd likely become a good manager someday.