News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Man marking also. You can screen and isolate guys, run decoys, stunt, etc.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes!

American football is very controlled and compartmentalized and player movement is coordinated in layers. Plays are run to set up other plays and get the kinds of matchups you want.

I think that this would be very useful for set pieces in soccer.

4. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    a)that stuff already happens
    b)overcoaching never works in soccer

5. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Every good keeper is over-coached.

Every high quality team I ever played on complained about over-coaching. None of the lower quality teams ever did. Interesting dichotomy, that.

RossD repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. Everybody says that Marcelo Bielsa "overcoached" the Leeds players. Marsch said it, but a lot of others did too. They didn't say that the previous seasons when they were doing well. He was a genius while Leeds was doing well. Then when they were in relegation danger, the players were too tired from being overcoached and overworked.

NietzscheIsDead and RossD repped this.
  7. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The over-coaching is often the difference in close games.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bielsa overtrained. The training load was too high and the players were exhausted. That's measurable and quantifiable these days.

gomichigan24 and Marko72 repped this.
  9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    lol no

ur confusing well coached and poorly coached with over coached.

I get it everyone on here wants to try to sound really smart but its not nearly as complicated as people are making it.

10. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only coach who is successful that I have heard accused of over coaching was Pep while at Bayern by the Bayern legends running the club.

11. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I think that the person who named this thread got it wrong.

They meant “Berhalter Fire”

Magikfute repped this.
  12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He overtrained but also insisted on keeping a smaller squad than other teams, meaning they were even more susceptible to injuries and their impact on the team.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So was that not true when Leeds finished 9th in the Premier League in 2020/2021?

Leeds highest finish in 20 years?

Its not that I disagree with you guys that Bielsa might have "overtrained" guys.
    This was a criticism of Bielsa's methods before he even arrived at Leeds.
    But its just kinda overplayed if you ask me.

Maybe the problem was that Patrick Bamford, their leading scorer in 2020/2021, injured his hip in a goal-celebration. When he returned a series of foot/ankle injuries kept him out. None of those injuries had to do with being "overtrained." Luke Ayling suffered a knee injury that kept him out a long time, which had nothing to do with being "overtrained." Maybe people can say that Kalvin Phillips' hamstring problems were due to overtraining, but players all over Europe have hamstring problems. How about all of the USMNTers that have have had muscle problems over the last two seasons. Were they all overtrained?

If anything, we can say that..............yes, Bielsa works players hard. Everybody knows it. Klopp at Liverpool does too. But every off-season under Klopp, they've gone out and refreshed the squad with an infusion of new talent. Did Leeds do the same in the summer before the 2021-2022 season? Not really.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the diagnosis of the hip injury was ever published. We know the incident was brought on by a fall but it could and probably did aggravate an underlying injury.

Funny thing is that Gabby Ablonlahor got crucified for suggesting that Bamford needed a rest after he'd started all but one of Leeds EPL games in 2020/21.

15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Eddie Gray (former Leeds player and manager) was on TalkSport a few months ago and talked about how Bielsa preferred to have a smaller roster despite the board offering a bigger budget (as we have seen with Jesse this summer)

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellency, onefineesq, WrmBrnr and 2 others repped this.
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Berhalter is continually improving.

2019 was really lost because most of the current young players weren't developed enough and we lost 2020 due to Covid, so he's really only had two years with the current crop of players.

In that time he's won everything but the WCQ qualifying group.

We also lost a lot of critical time with the youth program.

The next cycle will be sans serious competition so I don't know how we would measure a new coach's progress.

I'd keep Berhalter on a 2 year deal at least. If we see no improvement then at least we wouldn't have to pay off his contract.

That's unless the US crashes and burns in Qatar but unless he makes some really stupid tactical errors, which is quite possible, I don't think that will happen.

19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I think my preference is still for a guy with actual experience making deep runs in big international tournaments (e.g., Roberto Martinez, if he leaves Belgium after this cycle). But I think there is a case to keep Berhalter on as an exception to the rule of not giving coaches a second cycle. As you point out, Berhalter has really had about half a cycle working with the core of the team, and some other now-important players like Musah, Aaronson, and Richards really only matured into being viable options in the last year or so. So, there's very much a work-in-progress vibe to the team.

Also, it would be hard for Berhalter to overly rely on the old guard in a second cycle, since the "old" guard would be in their mid- to late-20s next cycle.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roberto Martinez managed to take the most talented team in Europe and get them knocked out in the quarter-final stage of the Euros.

England had Eriksson and Capello and they both made terrible tactical decisions in the World Cup. Southgate is not a great coach but he progressed further than either of them.

Martinez was average at Everton but had managed to keep an under resourced Wigan team at a level greater than the sum of their parts. Incidentally he'd been a player at Wigan from their lower division days, so he knew the squad inside and out.

Sometimes it's better to keep the devil you know than the devil you don't.

jaykoz3 and deejay repped this.
  21. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um, the most recent competition you mean?

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm so crushed to miss out on the first place medal for WCQ.

23. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If he really is going to have the team play the way he says, (1) with a high line against all comers, (2) a speedy CF who can press, one that puts either Gio or Weah or Musah or Wes on the bench, and (3) only CBs that are speedy, then I suspect we will either be great or awful in Qatar — no in between. So he’ll either get fired or will clearly deserve another cycle if he wants it. His words have always come back to his program for victory, which is about style of play. So it sort of looks like he wants to give that a go, and see if we can take the game to all WC opponents. More power to him if it works.

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmm, I see some guys in pretty attractive club positions, including the MLS coaches (although Curtin’s been with the Union long enough that he might be most open to a new challenge). I suspect we might be getting closer to a time when the NT isn’t necessarily seen as the pinnacle for American coaches.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel pretty confident all the MLS coaches would take the job. I don’t think Marsch would next year if he’s doing well at Leeds (though I think he would down the line). Matarazzo is the one I’m not sure about. He’s been in Europe a long time and might like the chance to come back and coach in the US for a few years.