News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this thread still open?? Kind of difficult to fire someone who no longer works for the organization......

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  2. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    We have an interim coach to replace one that - to our knowledge - has neither been fired, suspended, or let go officially.

It's the USSF, which has a long and glorious history of bureaucratic hilarity, but I don't think even they have had this kind of situation before, where the incumbent coach had his contract expire without either a public renewal or an equally public search for a replacement.

NietzscheIsDead and russ repped this.
  3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lads,it's Soccer House,heirs to the people who destroyed American pro soccer almost a hundred tears ago.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped and quoted to the next page.

aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The objective is to get him fired from the planet, in a rocket bound to some other galaxy.

6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dani?That u?

dark knight repped this.
  7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree 100% - except i dont even think the dutch have the edge in talent....i think the teams are pretty equal....dutch has better defense, us has better midfield.

netherlands in qatar had 10 players that play in netherlands, 2 in belgium, 1 in turkey

the usmnt didnt call players playing well in those leagues - pepi, mckenzie, reynolds, booth, etc

half of their team plays in leagues berhalter basically ignored.

the top half of the dutch roster is great, but so is the US'

USMNT should go for ability not name in the next coach. find a rising star

60611 and aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  8. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Gregg is not employed by USSF his contract expired. He is the former USMNT coach. Legally he is still a candidate and he is claiming interest which is probably just legal posturing from both parties to preserve any potential lawsuit. The Berhalter era is over we just have to wait for it to be official.

There are obviously at least informal approaches being made. I doubt if Zidane had shown any interest USSF would have been agonizing over a choice of Gregg or Zidane. One fish bigger than Gregg nibbles the hook and Gregg is history. He knows it, USSF knows it, but apparently there are still Berhalter fan girls out there who can’t let it go ( not addressing you personally). It is what it is. I kind of feel bad for him but US Soccer will be ok, it’s just a pot hole on our road to the Jules Rimet Trophy.

60611, adam tash and aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the coach of morroco was hired three months before the qatar world cup began!

three!

any idea that a coach needs 4 years to build continuity for world cup success is bogus.

and so is the idea that familiarty with the coach's system trumps talent....something greggg got horribly wrong in qatar and all throughout his overly MLS-laden cycle

60611 repped this.
  10. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    The ship has sailed on the Jules Rimet Trophy. Brazil won it for keeps in 1970, being the first team to win it 3 times. Then it was stolen from the CBF offices in the 1980's, or maybe not... Nobody knows for sure where the real one is. A copy sold at auction several years ago for big money, I think that FIFA bought it? So, maybe that is the real one? But the USA, and all other countries can't win it, ever. It is retired. I like it better than the current replacement trophy.

Dan Loney and Roger Allaway repped this.
  11. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The book about this will be great.

But who would we trust to write it?

russ, Marko72 and aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  12. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Adams maybe? He is probably the least likely to, but in general I'd like to know his thoughts on it.

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the book is already in progress

russ, 60611, Marko72 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    again its not

it reminds me of on sunderland til I die in the first season and the guy say annoying looks at the scouts and basically says 'who hey f scouting ibra is their some hidden pile of money somewhere'..it was a waste of effort.

15. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. US Soccer will never be one of the big boys until they learn to shake off the inferiority complex.

deejay repped this.
  16. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    It’s symbolic rather than literal. Let’s win the Sepp Blatter Statue or whatever it will be called whenever we get there.

17. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    that isn't how coaching searches go lol

u don't waste time with guys u know aren't interested

when nations league comes then what? still no coach?

summer comes....still no coach

fall comes....oh wait we have decided to bring back ggg after going after zidane, jose, klopp, and pep.. there are like 30 choices between gg and that group...look there.

CU soccer repped this.
  18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why was mcbride let go?

I have no way of even knowing how to evaluate his performance. cant be a good sign for berhalter though

19. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    So you don’t approach anyone that you don’t think we have a shot at? How do you know you don’t have a shot? They did contact Zidane reps to at least gather whether there is an interest so it sounds like that IS how it actually works lol. How long do you think it took to reach out. A few minutes? It wasn’t holding up any Nations League matches. Didn’t we have an interim manager for like a year before Gregg was hired?

The federation approaches a number of candidates you and I never hear about many of which ask that it remain private. Some managers even have their reps contact the federation, also confidentially. Big names come with their own list of demands. Klinsmann, who was a big name at the time wanted more control than most candidates and the federation bought what he was selling. Many have either asked for control or renumeration that at that time we weren’t prepared to pay. Just because we didn’t hire them do not assume we didn’t talk to them or that they weren’t interested.

20. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Reorganization makes the most sense. Some of what McBride does should fall on manager and some probably could be done by Ernie. His role is probably hard to justify. Use his salary for a better manager. I also think his role was getting phased out regardless of Gregg situation.

adam tash and Chesco United repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    60611, CU soccer and Douglas Campbell repped this.
  22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of the midfielders or the striker...hes simply too good not to be playing for the USMNT

MMA will never be good enough offensively. might be good in select moments.....but not as an every game strategy.

60611 and CU soccer repped this.
  24. Douglas Campbell

BVB
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    We're witnessing the Reyna redemption tour. I'd imagine he was very pissed how the entire world cup situation went, and now he's going take out his frustration on the pitch. That's the way to do it. If he stays healthy and plays with a chip on his shoulder, he's going to ball.

Of course he should have been at minimum a first-off-the-bench sub in the World Cup. Not that 8 minutes in 3 games BS. More ideally should have been Weah starting up top and Reyna starting on the wing.

60611 repped this.
  25. Douglas Campbell

BVB
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    Kid dropped dimes for Haaland in CL knockouts vs. PSG, but Beerhholder couldn't even get him on the pitch vs. Iran and Wales.

60611, russ and CU soccer repped this.