News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Dike really good in the air? Or like, actually playing football?

There's really nothing "wrong" with the stakes of El Trafico, except that someone who doesn't watch the league brought it up. The fans hate eachother, the players hate eachother, both teams are fighting to be LA's team -- there's plenty to fight for. I mean, it's a false choice. You can enjoy a rivalry like El Trafico, which have generally been very good matches, and still enjoy EPL relegation battles.

dark knight and jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I mean he's just sort of a general purpose basher.

A little bit of a bad example because that's a type of player that actually makes Maguire and Stones look better, and then we were knocked out by Virgil Van Dijk who would effortlessly sweep away all chances from Godzilla himself, but still, there is the opportunity for the US to have a little different style in the mix, which an international team ought to have.

Dike and Pefok probably aren't as good as Kiefer Moore, but they aren't miles off, and that's the kind of thing we ought to be able to do.

What I mean is that you watch the El Trafico playoff game and you see an MLS that has made it, full stop. Big Four US, Big Five Europe, whatever, it is giving you that kind of product, something that stirs emotions in that way. If there were enough of that available on a schedulable basis, the TV viewers would be there.

The overwhelming majority of league games are not remotely like that, even well-attended ones with active loud fans. And I think that is THE question for the league. How do you achieve that at scale?

gomichigan24 repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I have noticed over the years that exaggerating how goof things are in. MLS is just a huge part of what it is. It really isn't exaggerating but flat out lying.

Do people think this where Berhakter became such a liar? If Berhalter stays around, who do people think he will "Brooks" this cycle?

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I domt get the feeling our two most talented players care for this idiot.

smokarz repped this.
  5. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That top Tweet is really stretching for controversy.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    There is nothing definitive about it, but isnt the first time. I wish I could find the video of this. This one has much weirder feel to it.

7. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a guy who was frustrated from a crappy game, and then getting subbed off poured fuel on it

jaykoz3 repped this.
  8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    If the premise here is that Pulisic was so frustrated with Berhalter that he wouldn't give 100%, well, the man's testicles tell a different story.

EDIT - If These Balls Could Talk

russ, gomichigan24, WrmBrnr and 2 others repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Maybe. I domt recall him doing anything similar with any of his other coaches. Heck, Reyna even made the effort to fake a smile and hug Gregg after the Netherlands game.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not sure how you got that premise.

Christian clearly stated he didnt get hit in the balls.

11. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he had plenty of negative views about Tuchel.

I'm also wondering how many times he's had a captain's armband to angerly throw?

Look I have no idea about the Pulisic/Berhalter relationship, but the first video was clearly a guy just being dejected about being knocked out of a once every 4 years tournament. The 2nd seems like a guy who's angry about being subbed off.

I think it's best to not try and stoke the flames of things we have zero evidence for, but I guess this is the internet so that's hard to do.

russ, jaykoz3, Mahtzo1 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    In a very high, strained voice, no doubt.

Fine, then. Pulisic put his penalty area at extreme risk for his team. If he does hate Berhalter, that didn't stop him from doing so.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'm sure he had negative views of Tuechel and other coaches. The question is did he ever show his negative emotions. This is the third time I have seen it with CP, these two and being subbed at Canada in 2019. Throw in the odd press conference early in wcq where CP stated "that they need new ideas" and it starts to be a pattern. There is nothing concrete and never stated so, but more than "zero evidence" to go with my hunch.

Edit - there was also that time CP reprimanded their social media guys in their comments. Seems very out of character for him

Stoking flames with zero evidence is what people do to support Berhlater on here every day. I think this whole culture crap is over blown, but everybody acts like it is a 100% fact. It actually seems quite contrived the amount it is being talked about everywhere.

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. tell when to start.

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You complain that Berhalter was slow to make some obvious choices. However, you are absolutely glacial with regard to Brooks. Brooks out of the MNT is one of the most obvious choices of the last two years. He simply hasn''t been good enough.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with that level of intensity?!??! yes

the other teams manage their effort level throughout the game...instead of having to white knuckle it for defense like berhalter demands...antonee made more sprints by far than any player in the world cup...same with tyler who ran more than anyone..

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes still better than zimmmerman...the us beats wales with brooks instead of Walker

LouisZ repped this.
  18. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2543 Android Cat, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    ????

The +1 I gave the poster in question was specifically in reference to the part of his post that I highlighted in bold. Go back and look at it. It had to do with Carter-Vickers being better than Zimmermann and that many players brought in for the world cup were not the best available. My quote about MLS players and conspiracy theories was independent of his post. My post had nothing to do with a blanket statement that MLS inexorably and unequivocally equals poor quality.

It's not disingenuous. Learn how to read carefully.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol okay sure

if only the US can develop to the level of Morrocco...then we will have arrived lol

20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2545 CyphaPSU, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    I wish we had a substantial soccer press. I wish we had large masses of fans that cared enough voice their appropriate displeasure in loud enough ways to cause pressure of the suits in Chicago. But, we don’t (yet).

I thank Gregg for righting the ship (and he really has), but I truly think he’s shown his ceiling with the national team level in the Round of 16.

We need to find ways to play that get our forwards in positions to score. Our forward pool is highly questionable, and yet we still cannot fully say we know the potential (or lack thereof) of the strikers we do have since they rarely are serviced the ball in the final third. Gregg has had enough time to demonstrate that it is not a tactical strength of his. Plus, we have ample evidence that the second cycle for a manger does not end well (just see exhibits 1, 2, and 3 from the three previous attempts). I do not want to leave it to the possibility that we may not get the very best of this pool of players as they will start entering into their prime in a few years. We need an injection of new ideas.

Please Gregg, strike while the iron is a little warm to chase your desire to get back into club football in Europe, because that may be our only chance to avoid the dangers of a second go-around.

jaykoz3, adam tash and WrmBrnr repped this.
  21. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Please list the lesser players from other lesser leagues that Berhalter started over more deserving players over the last 3 years. You mention MLS and not these other lesser leagues and players. That is disingenuous.

22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

You can say that he put his balls on the line for his teammates, for his country, for winning, for the game....BUT NOT for the coach.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    So when is Gregg gonna be FIRED again?

We might possibly be looking at another four years of MLS level games from the USMNT.

adam tash repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...able-what-the-us-got-right-and-wrong-in-qatar

Bonagura: Allow me to make an NBA parallel here. When Mark Jackson took over the Golden State Warriors in 2011, they were an absolute dumpster fire. They had finished near the bottom of the Western Conference the four seasons before he arrived and had made the playoffs just once in the previous 17. It was a slow start under Jackson, but after a bad first season, they made the playoffs in his second and third seasons. They were, by any measure, successful seasons for the team, which had a young, exciting group of players about to enter their prime seasons. Sound familiar?

Then Jackson was fired.

At the time, owner Joe Lacob drew on experience from his time in Silicon Valley, where he learned there were different leaders built for different stages of growth in an organization. Jackson did a good job helping the Warriors progress from the basement to the second floor, but they were looking to get to the penthouse. After Jackson's dismissal, Lacob told the Associated Press: ''We just felt overall we needed a different person to go forward and get to the next level.''

That's where the USMNT are. This is not the same job as it was when Berhalter was hired. The opportunity to take over this group of players and coach them in a World Cup on home soil is one that will appeal to a much different talent pool of coaches than at any time in history. Maybe they won't find the next Steve Kerr and mirror the Warriors' level of success, but the goal for this team should be to reach unprecedented levels of success.

this is SO GOOD

Berhalter is Mark Jackson!! for the warriors in the NBA!!

USMNT needs its Steve Kerr!

that's all this boils down to.

LouisZ repped this.
  25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe he blew that sitter as a protest against Gregg.