Fire Anselmi!

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by crazypete13, Jul 13, 2012.

1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Someone whose resume includes successful time spent as a president of a football club in a league that is more developed than MLS. For example, the Whitecaps hired Paul Barber (formerly of Tottenham Hotspur) as their president/CEO when they were still in the second division.

What I'm getting at is somebody who knows how to run an organization, not just as a business that sells entertainment, but also knows how to put an organization together that is capable of making a winning culture.

Full disclosure: he's now returned to England, and we might want someone to have a longer tenure in the role, but that is an example of the type of person TFC could benefit from.

2. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    someone who's coached and or played extensively in north america and has a high understanding of the game in general. I still think that Rongen would be a really good option and he's already in the organization. He knows the north american setup like the back of his hand since he's been coaching in it since 1984 and has coached in it a pretty much every level.

And they currently have bob lenarduzzi as their president.

3. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unfortunately, I think that anyone who has proven capable in that position in a league that fits that description is gonna look at MLS as a step down. Likely, what TFC/MLS could attract is someone just below that person you describe that is hoping to prove they can do that job but not getting the opportunity where they are.

That has similar risks, though, in hiring people who think they are ready to coach/manage but not getting the opportunity where they are (*cough*carver*cough*winter*cough*).

;)

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think the location and the challenge of MLS, combined with an attractive comp package could overcome most of that.

Sometimes we may forget that Toronto is a pretty desirable place to live and work, this can be used as a selling point for most people.

5. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    First of all, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that if Ton Anselmi matter, it doesn't matter what anyone under him does, they won't be able to change anything. The absolute best thing that could happen to us is Anselmi being replaced by someone better (not someone like Cockbrain), but that's unlikely.

Anyway, as for the MLS vs Dutch approach, I'm sure some of you have already seen this, but I'm posting it anyway: http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/7/16/3162190/anselmis-reds-taking-a-step-backwards

Seems we're not the only team that was recently looking to go Dutch/4-3-3. Difference is we abandoned it while the others haven't and they're actually being successful. Looks like MLS is changing and now seemingly leaving TFC under Mariner behind.

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I never understimate Toronto's desirability.....it is why I live/work here!

I also don't overestimate it. Most of the places that have the sort of top football clubs are also in pretty desirable places.....and have the added bonus of not being in a football backstreet kinda place?

If it were just a matter of money, more of those successful team president type guys would already be talking to MLS.

7. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think you're excluding the challenge factor. There will always be some person who looks at the MLS setup and thinks yeah, I'd like to try my hand running one of those teams, even if they are outnumbered 10-1 by people who would be turned off by MLS.

8. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What I'd be hoping for out of an executive is someone with enough knowledge and experience to develop a long-term strategy for success, find the right people to execute it and be able to evaluate what is and what is not working and make appropriate adjustments.

As I've ranted many times already, with the exec we have now, our current strategy is essentially "well, let's see how this Mariner guy does". Prior to that, the strategy was "well, let's see how this Winter guy does" and so on. And as far as evaluating performance, the only thing that Anselmi can do is look at wins and losses columns. Now, some on this board probably figure that's enough, but what you really need to have is somebody who can look beyond the stats to see whether or not the coach and GM are making the right moves now to get this team where it needs to be in the long term. And if the team is off course, the exec needs to re-evaluate what needs to be done to set it on the right course. Not just automatically fire the manager and hope that the next guy does better.

9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Bump. This team still stinks - Fire Anselmi.

DavemTFC and TFC Ajax repped this.
  10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Phew!....I am pretty sure the reason he is still employed is because this thread went on hiatus for a month! ;)

11. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Ha - well, I'd like to think I have that kind of pull at MLSE - but sadly I'm left with an option of starting (and bumping) threads like this.

12. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, if there's any consolation, the Bell-Rogers deal has officially gone through now:
    http://www.mlse.com/mlse_statement_082212.aspx

While people might think of this as a sign of hope for things to change, this deal is likely more about controlling broadcast rights rather than it is about a desire to build a winning team.

13. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Meet the new boss...

14. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    same as the old boss...

15. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ...and Bell and Rogers get on their knees and pray...

...that TFC supporters all get fooled again. :thumbsdown:

16. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think they're counting on Leaf fans first and foremost - but fair point all the same.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They may not be able to bully cash out of Leaf fans this year if talks with the NHLPA disintegrate any further.

That would be the beauty of an NHL strike or lockout, not only would Leaf fans be spared further embarassment, but it will also deprive MLSE of revenue.

18. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ill probably get flammed here but i would suggest that Aron Winter would be better for president of soccer operations to replace Anselmi. Hear me out. Aron would not have the likes of Mariner under cutting him and his efforts to support 4-3-3 setup from the academy straight up through the big club. Other clubs in MLS that have adopted this formation are finally getting success from it. It can be done in the MLS...what you cant do is abandon it all just because you go 0-9 to start a season. This in my opinion was the downfall that sets us back next year too. At 0-9 we have nothing to play for in the league for this year BUT to stay the course and develop the system. Next year after a full year under the formation back to training camp with it and we will see it flourish in 2 years i'd bet. 1 coach in every year isnt going to get this done.
    Aron likes this league, believes in it, and could make it work over time...by not having anyone interfere in what he was trying to do. Mistake in my opinion getting rid of him. Mariner had some early success....a byproduct of change...and now back to the regular TFC, BUT WORSE. Its painful to watch them play today. At least under Winter it was exciting soccer at times. Not to mention Mariner looks like a bafoon ranting up and down the technical area screaming at every little play. Thats already wearing thin on all the players, staff and refs.

scarborotfcfan and TFC Ajax repped this.
  19. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sadly, it's too late for Winter. There's no way he'd want to come back to TFC after everything that's happened

20. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    wanna bet?

21. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Apparently MLSE offered Winter another position on TFC (either just technical director or whatever position Mariner used to have...or maybe the position you talk about). Winter said no. Looks like he either only wanted to be manager or he was simply fed up with MLSE at that point. Probably both

22. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

You bring up some good points, but if you want winter back (or another manager who would work with the 4-3-3 system) you'd have to get rid of a lot more than just anselmi. Seems like there are a lot of people in the management there who didnt believe in the system (im thinking mariner and cochrane to name two) and were just waiting for the opportunity to declare it a failure.

I'm in agreement that Winter's system could have worked, but you need to have an organization with patience (which mlse is not) you need to have the whole organization onside (which we didn't) and you need to have a gm who will go out findplayers who can fit into the system (which mariner wasnt doing).

But weeding out anselmi would be a good first step.

DavemTFC repped this.
  23. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In the strictly limited way you set that up, "better than Anselmi", yeah, you might actually be right.

But you still deserve to get flamed.

nfitz repped this.
  24. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
    I agree wholeheartedly with torontofcmark. I can't see Winter accepting even if it were offered but he's absolutely right. We went from an 0-9 team with a real plan for the future to a team that happened to win 5 games, mostly against weak opposition, with no real blueprint at all as to what next year will bring. What formation will we use? Does Mariner even know? It seems like this is a "Well let's just finish off the season with this guy and hope for the best" coaching change.

25. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MLSE's specialty