Fiorentina refused place in Serie B

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Excape Goat, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: the title of this thread is incorrect

It is a thing of sheer beauty. :D

2. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Sorry for appearing like a Vulture, but do they have any good holding midfielders at Fiorentina ?. Blackburn could do with one.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been both shocking and saddening to follow these developments - the gloating of Juve fans notwithstanding.

It's not like I'm some hardcore Viola supporter, but, like a billion other American students, I did spend a good stretch of time studying in Florence a few years ago, and the best part of that was going out to the stadium (could walk there from where I lived) that spring to watch Bati, Rui Costa, Toldo - even Edmundo when he finally bothered to come back from Carnival. Though Firenze and its people can be rather aloof, and Fiorentina supporters had a penchant for some pretty horrific displays of violence and/or racism (one of which I saw firsthand) Fiorentina was my side there. Hard to imagine that a team with such history, and with such a close connection to the city would end up vanishing - and yet at the same time I've been predicting that overextended, mismanaged clubs were going to totally disappear like this for a few years now. I expected it to be somewhere else - England's lower divisions, probably - not here.

4. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    It's a shame we won't see those groovy purple shirts as well. Fingers crossed Nazio will be next.......

5. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    I'm sorry, but you really are a smug little turd, aren't you? Sitting there in Binghampton, New York, without the foggiest idea, I suspect, of what it's like to live and die with your local football team week in and week out, and listing your own favourite teams as Juventus and Manchester City who are, what, 4,500 and 5,000 odd miles from your front door. You probably don't even know that over the last three years, Fiorentina (as I understand it) are the ONLY Serie A team to sell out all their season tickets. So, Mr. Big Shot, who the hell are you to have no pity for fans of the Viola?

And no, I don't support Fiorentina. Don't give a damn about them, actually. But one thing I do know, and one thing that makes football the great sport that it is is that whilst we all enjoy giving hated opposition a roasting on the pitch, there's not a football supporter in the world worthy of the name who gloats when a team goes out of business and its fans have to suffer that kind of loss. There but for the grace of God go I.

Yours is one of the most pitiful posts I've ever read, and believe me you are NOT a football supporter if you are serious about what you wrote.

6. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Well said, it doesn't matter how much you hate the other team, you've got to feel their fans pain. Last year when MLS folded its Florida teams I felt truly bad for their fans, especially since I know San Jose's Cup victory was the only thing that kept my team off the chopping block. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

7. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Yup. Sorry Dante but you have exposed your lack of understanding of football. Even the most passionate fan of a rival would feel sorry for the Viola. They could rightly fall over laughing when they got relegated last season but going bankrupt is something completely different.

Even Palace fans showed a little remorse with the recent events at Wimbledon FC.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off it's Binghamton, it's clearly spelled correctly just under my Avatar. We don't put a p in it like you English types.

Secondly, I LIVED in Italy for a while, where get this now... I attended Juventus games. I have been a Juventus fan my whole life as have other in my family. You see I do know where Juve and City are from. I've been there and will go there again.

Next time you want to attack me, LEARN the facts before hand. Next time it won't be YOU that looks like the smug turd.

I could care less if they sold out all their season tickets. It doesn't mean squat to me, neither do their fans. What matters to me is the team I support. I've got no problem watching a team that was mismanaged fall from grace. The fans will have another team, and because of graciousness they will be in Serie C instead of the Eccellenza, an amateur division, where they technicaly belong according the FIGC standards.

Don't be so naive, if this were to happen to Juve there would be PLENTY of viola fans cheering and laughing.

Yours actually beat me out, but that's ok. Sometimes it's nice to come in second place.

You can't equate the fall of Fiorentina to the loss of the Miami Fusion. How could you feel sorry for a team where they don't even have enough fans support it?? The league was losing A LOT of money by keeping Tampa in place. Tampa deserved the boot.

I don't feel any pain for the viola fans becuase they would be having the same reaction.

I have a complete understanding of football and I still don't care about the feelings of Fiorentina fans. Will they still have a team? Yes Will the team most likely resemble everything about the prior team? Yes. They will just have to wait a while longer before their in the big leagues again.

There are PLENTY of people that do not feel sorry for the viola. The team has been in a crisis for well over a year. NO steps were taken to rectify it, somehow I should feel sad that they lost their team?? No way. They'll learn their mistakes, the hard way and they'll be back. I have no sympathy for something I know will return.

9. Bitter Beer Face

Bitter Beer Face New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Specious straw man arguments are so uncool.

10. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    There is no rioting in the streets of Florence.

11. Basti

Basti New Member

May 9, 2002
    it's good someone else brought it up instead of me
    Dante you're a kid

I believe many juve fans (and i mean real italian juventes fans) will miss those rivalries between Fiorentina and Juventus. and by the way aren't you a moderator? you talk like a 12yr old and hence your lack of maturity and respect to talk like someone who is here to uphold the rules

12. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Dante, as I and others in this thread have pointed out, you really are about the biggest schmuck ever come across on this board. To make my point, I will leave the last word to you:

"I have a complete understanding of football and I still don't care about the feelings of Fiorentina fans."

...which really says it all, doesn't it? Beneath contempt. When I read your posts, I feel like I've stepped in something.

13. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Oh, and just for the record, "BinghamPton" was deliberately spelled that way (not that I expected many to get the joke). "HamPton" is cockney rhyming slang for...well, something that rhymes with "Hampton Wick" which, in your case Dante, is entirely appropriate.

14. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's almost surreal that Fiorentina as they once were are gone, and they are now in the 3/4 division.

I still remember them beating Arsenal at wembley, and their games against Lazio and Man U.

I couldn't imagine Leeds or Tottenham falling like that, it would be amazing.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've made personal attacks against me for no reason, but that's fine. The way you defend the fall of Fiorentina and their fans is that of a bitter man. Perhaps you do have some connection to Fiorentina.

There are PLENTY of real Juve fans "and i mean real italian juventes fans" that feel the same way I do. I guess being Italian and living in Italy negates me from being a "real italian juventes fan".:rolleyes:

I'm the one being a kid here? It's funny because I did not make any personal attacks on anyone on these boards and here comes sydtheeagle and his little friends and they make personal attacks against me. Yet they're the ones calling me a kid, schmuck and other names.

So where are you guys when it comes to all the other discussions of Italian football?? Or do you only come out when you get the chance to attack people?

16. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What colour are their new shirts going to be?

17. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Haven't you read what anyone wrote at all? This is NOT a discussion about Italian football. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Italian football.

It is a discussion about a professional football club going out of business and what its fans will suffer as a result. This subject knows no national boundaries. Football fans are worth absolutely nothing if they don't stand up for each other in times of crisis. The fact that they do and, as in this thread, they turn vehemently on those among them who laugh at tragedy, is what exposes you as the hate figure you are. If you laugh at people who have watched their team die, then you are NOT (whatever you might say and wherever you might have lived) a football supporter.

When Crystal Palace nearly went out of business two years ago, I'll tell you what. We started a fund to save the club and we raised money from supporters groups at virtually every club in England and many overseas, our bitterest rivals included. Some of our former players (Matt Jansen was one) even sent in personal cheques to help us (you should hear the reception they get when they return to Selhurst Park). Incidentally, if I have a connection with Fiorentina, that is it. I know better than most exactly what their supporters are going through.

With Wimbledon moving to Milton Keynes, I can tell you that when the protests start at the begining of the season, I'll be standing there in my Palace shirt trying to help them. These are examples of what being a football fan is about. Pathetic people who laugh when a club goes out of business simply do not understand the game.

But once again, you have exposed yourself. You think this is a discussion about Italian football, which shows clearly that you are neither a fan, nor do you even get the point that everyone is making. I give up. I can't even be bothered to call you any more names. It's just sad that you really don't grasp that solidarity among supporters is ultimately the glue that makes football the world's greatest sport. Football is peopled with millions of people that CARE and, I guess, a few who call themselves fans but really don't.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word is they're going to be almost identical to AC Fiorentina. They are trying to make a carbon copy of the club in all aspects.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is has EVERYTHING to do with Italian football. The fall of Fiorentina is a warning to all the other teams in Italy who mismanage themselves. It's a warning to the fans of the teams who mismanage themselves. It does have something to do with Italian football.

Well thanks for clearing that up. Hockey season starts soon so I guess I'll just have to stick to that since I've been declared to be not a football supporter.

I applaude what the Crystal Palace fans have done, and fans of other teams in crisis in England because it shows how much they care for their teams. The Fiorentina fans did NOTHING to help their team and they knew it was going down the drain and fast. They sat back and moaned, but took no action. Had they put forth some effort to help save their club then I would definitely feel bad for them because they showed they cared, but they didn't.

Italian football culture is completely different than English football culture. Do you honestly think that if Inter was to go under Milan fans would be protesting to help? Do you think Torino fans would lend support or care if Juve went down? Think again.

This has EVERYTHING to do with Italian football.

Now, I've said my peace. If anyone wants to make some more personal attacks go ahead. I'm done with this.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a West Ham supporter - I loathe Arsenal, Tottenham, Leeds and company.

I would love for them to be relegated - maybe a few times, but I would never want them to be gone.

In the US teams fold all the time in soccer, whether MLS, A-league, D3 or PDL teams fold. It's sad, having lost my team in New Orleans I felt pain and anger and resentment. It was like losing a loved one. Now the team in Connecticut is on life support and this is much closer to me - but none of these teams was one of the Seven Sisters of Italian football.

The thought that Fiorentina, from the wonderful city of Florence is gone is shameful. Cecci Gorri should spend time in prison and be punished severely for what he has done.

It's not about the hatred today, its about the loss - this is not supposed to be about life and death, but now we are talking about the death of a club - and that is the tragedy of the events, even if Dante doesn't agree.

21. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Uhh, they had HUGE rallies in support of their team that involved tens of thousands of people. I'd say that counts for something. So what if their manager is merde.
    And Juvy supporters should be careful when they smugly criticize other teams for not showing that they care, since Juvy have played more than their fair share of games in a half-full stadium. I like Juvy fine, but it was pathetic to watch their bow-out of the Champion's League last season in front of a whopping 5000 fans.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they had a rally? Did they create a supporters fund, did they try anything else to help their team? Rallies don't do crap for a team, doing what the supporters of Crystal Palace and Barnet did helps a team, not standing in some parade.

They also had a boycott, that worked for one game. That's smart, deprieve a cash strapped team even more money.

Those that read these boards already know that I'm critical of the attendance of Juve supporters. When I was in Italy I attended every game possible. I think it's pathetic when only 5k show up for a CL game, and I don't like hearing that it was on Rosenborg. I agree with you 100% on that one.

23. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Point one: If you were half the football supporter you claim to be, you'd know that the perils of mismanagement and the resultant fall-out are not limited to Italy and Italian teams. Thus, the Fiorentina situation is not an exclusively Italian problem. It affects teams, by way of providing a salutary lesson, everywhere. Yes, it does have SOMETHING to do with Italian football, but it also has something more to do with football on a much, much, wider scale.

Point two: I have not declared you a non-football supporter. You have done that yourself, through the stupidity of your own words.

Point three: If you think the Fiorentina fans have done nothing, then once again you are proving that you are neither a football supporter nor an Italian football supporter. You simply don't know what you are talking about. And if you wonder why I don't write on the Italian football boards (even though I read them), it's because unlike you I keep my mouth shut on subjects about which I am not well enough informed to offer a valuable addition to the debate.

Point four: This thread alone gives ample evidence of the fact that almost everyone who has written has said they would do anything possible to prevent their team's greatest rival from going out of business, even if relegation would provide a laugh or two. Sure, there are so-called fans out there who are like you...who would just laugh while the game's institutions crumble...but I wouldn't call those people real football fans. You would. So I suggest you all go off and enjoy each others company.

Point five: Italian football culture and English football are totally different? Are they? I guess you might think so, if you never dig deeper than the superficial. Another argument dispelled by this thread, as on the demise of Fiorentina, the Italian AND English posters all appear to be singing from the same hymn sheet (unlike you). I guess it's ironic that the one person (you) on this thread who has actually claimed to "know all about football" actually appears to know the least.

Enjoy the pucks. Hope being a hockey supporter works out better than being a football supporter for you. Still, you can't win 'em all.

(Oh, and by the way, was "Crystal City" supposed to wind me up? Snooooooooooooooore.)

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no reason to gloat over the demise of a respected and storied team. Losing Fiorentina is a tragedy. It shows that football is treading on very thin ice and many teams around the world are one bad decision away from insolvency. Please put your rooting interests aside and recognize this for what it is, a portent of things to come.