Finishing and Crossing Tips

Discussion in 'Player' started by CC05, Jun 27, 2005.

1. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was out today doing some crosses and finishing.

This year has been a bad year for me for some reason... last year I was fine with these things.

So, First issue - Finishing:

We were doing finishing from crosses, some on the ground and some up higher.

Finishing from the ground crosses: My problem was that I kept putting it over the bar (and this is from anywhere between the 6 yard line and the penalty spot). The crosses had quite a bit of pace. The goal was to put them to the far post, on the ground. I wasn't! Any suggestions on why this may be (ie: need to put my plant foot forward more), and what drills I can do to work on this or what tips you can give me, any are helpful. Where I should be connecting with my foot, etc.

Finishing from air crosses:

I was doing well to get these on target but still, lack of power on some. Again, same problems as above (ie: getting far post, on the ground).

Second issue - Crossing:

As mentioned above, we were doing crossing. The ones we did were 2 different kinds:

1st kind: We were doing them along the sides like a defender was keeping us to the outside, then pushing it ahead about 3-5 yards towards the endline (like you were getting away from the defender to make space for a cross) and crossing on the run along the ground. I had no problem with these really in that I could get it back and along the ground with pace. The problem I had was that I wasn't doing well to get it on the run. I was always kind of looping around the ball and I shouldn't have been doing that. It should be a "swivel" with my hips I guess instead of looping out a bit and giving the defender time. Hard to explain but any tips with crossing on the run and getting my hips turned in would be great.

2nd kind: For some reason I was doing crappy with these today. We would be played a ball in to us (from the inside of the park towards the outside near the sideline), and we would be crossing them in towards the far post in the air. The problem I had was that I was putting them up WAY to high.

I would just like to know why I was putting them high (any ideas to why at least), and what I can do/should be doing to keep them lower. We were aiming to put these at the far post so a player could connect. Pace on these was also very important.

All suggestions welcome, cheers.

2. riceburner3508

riceburner3508 New Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I'm not an expert on technique, but I'll just tell you what's always worked for me on these things:

finishing on the ground ball cross: I don't know how you were striking the cross, but I've found that it never ever works to hit the ball with your instep. It always goes over this way, so hit it with the inside of your foot. You also only need to tap it if the cross is hit hard, the ball will still jump off your foot and the keeper won't have a change if you are within the 18. As for planting your foot, you generally don't need to worry about it. With this kind of finishing, as long as your kicking foot hits the ball right, it's going to go in.

finishing in the air: I don't have much to tell you on this, but just try to get everything behind this. Twist your whole body in the direction that your kicking foot goes after you meet the ball. If you find this difficult, then work on your core strength. Try to meet your foot with the top of the ball as much as possible, to keep it on the ground.

Crossing on the run: I'm not sure I understand your problem with this, but I'll tell you what I do. I always meet the ball on its far side, almost directly behind the ball. This gives the ball a ton of curvature away from the goal, and not too high, which serves as a perfect ball in. This is something I have practiced a lot, so it may be something that I've invented for my own bodily coordination, but you should give it a shot.

Crossing 1-time: The temptation on this is to lay into the ball, and lean back. You want to avoid this as much as possible because much like the finishing off the low cross, the ball jumps off your foot without much effort, leading to high, flat, useless balls in. So on this you should treat this cross as if it were a free kick. Plant your non-kicking foot as close as possible to the ball, and lean away from your kicking foot to keep it low and give it a nice bend.

It sounds to me like your technique is fine, you just have a problem with timing and coordination. I have this exact problem all the time. I go through weird slumps of this kind, where I just can't seem to do a certain thing right, and usually its something I'm best at. Just remember your technique and work through the slump. Most of all, be patient. Getting angry every time you mess up is tempting, but don't let it happen.

That was too much typing, but I hope it helps a little. Good luck :) .

3. FK-Cement

FK-Cement New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Poland
    I agree in part, you have to twist your body in the direction of the ball and shot. I like espacially shot with middle part of the foot it's giving powerfull shots and in my case usually on target :)

4. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    There are a few things I can tell you that may help you keep the ball down. Your plant foot should be almost even with the ball (as opposed to well behind it). Also, get your knee over the ball when you strike. Last, when you follow through, make a conscious effort to land on you striking foot. These three things should cause you to drive the ball low. I agree with our friend who advised you to resist the temptation to crush the ball with your power. When teammates are whipping in crosses at speed, they've already supplied the power. All you need to do is provide direction, so just try to make good contact on the center of the ball with the laces (unless you wear those off-center lace boots). Remember, the word is "finishing."
    Good luck!

5. benilson09

benilson09 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Hartselle, AL
    I've always found my crosses on the run to be a little less accurate running straight at the goal line with your intended target to the side. If at all possible, try to make your breakaway touch from the defender at an angle towards your target. This will allow you better body position. One thing that has helped me with this is I think of it as though I am taking a high shot at goal. When you look up or lean back while striking the ball it will cause the ball to be floated in. If you have to run straight at the goal line to cross I would recommend having your planting foot pointing in the direction you want to cross but timing is crucial because when you strike the ball it should have rolled slightly away from you causing it to be struck perfectly with the inside of your kicking foot.

6. Michel

Michel New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Holland
    If you want to keep your shots low above the ground, make sure you body is above the ball when you kick it and that you're not leaning backwards. Don't worry about power, make sure you've got the proper technique to keep the ball low first!

7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Short answer for both your shots over the bar and your crosses sailing too high is that if things go high, you're probably leaning back too much. Keep your body over the ball, especially when finishing.

Another thing about the finishing. You mentioned you're finishing from 6-12 yards. Those are tap ins. Don't even think about trying to power anything home from there. A quickly taken shot placed low to either corner will score virtually every time from that range. Just side foot the thing to a corner and you'll score way, way more than you miss from there. You really shouldn't worry about shooting with power until you get outside the box, or if you're confident and just feel like smashing the thing from close range.