Findley then Buddle, or Buddle then Findley?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jackiesdad, Jun 13, 2010.

1. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    There have been two different schools of thought as to who to start alongside Altidore, and then who to sub in and why. Since I'm always right about everything, I figured I'd give my take:

The logic on both sides of the argument is to have one wear out the opponents defense for 60-70 minutes, then bring in the other to get behind that tired defense and take advantage of their fresh legs. So it really comes down to who requires more work to chase around for 60-70 minutes, and then who has the best chance of scoring.

Scenario #1 - Start Buddle, sub in Findley. As accurate a striker as he's been for us over the past few weeks of friendlies, Buddle's not particularly fast. So chasing him around for 60 minutes really shouldn't take the wind out of you too much. Then, when you put in Findley, now you have a guy who can get behind a defense, but then what? He's shown more than once that, when he's 1 v 1 with a keeper, he still can't put it in the back of the net.

Scenario #2 - Start Findley, sub in Buddle. Findley has shown more than once that he's a load to chase around. He singlehandedly caused the yellow card against a fresh Carragher by just having a great first step. This led indirectly to the Jozy shot off Green/woodwork in the second half because Carragher was afraid to pick up his second yellow as he marked Jozy. Now, when you sub in Buddle, you've got an ACCURATE striker who might now be going against a defender carrying a yellow.

Obviously, I think scenario #2 carries with it a greater chance of scoring goals, with the caveat that you can't wait until the 77th minute to make the change, as it doesn't give Buddle enough time to create opportunities for himself. I think a Buddle for Findley sub in the 65th minute is the best choice, given all of the above.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    against Slovenia, i'd start Buddle. if they play like how they played against Algeria than they're going to bunker. i like findley more as an option to keep the defensive line back, but i think buddle is more of an option to break a bunker.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Since May I've liked scenario #3, which is:

-Gomez starts with Altidore.

But I'm okay with either Buddle then Findley or Findley then Buddle.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the OP watched the match today. Slovenia is sitting-back, packing the middle and giving up the wings. That calls for two big targets in the middle, as their defensive shape will nullify FIndley's speed.

5. andorj78

andorj78 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Getzville, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of opponent, I think Findley's (limited) skill set puts him on the bench. When you're talking about someone whose only real redeeming international quality is speed, IMO, it's not worth wasting the lineup spot.

This is a pretty dry World Cup goal wise so far - Buddle's hot foot is too valuable to be kept on the shelf for 80 minutes.

If we find ourselves pressing for a goal sometime during this tournament I think Gomez (pure finishing) and Findley (defense streching) are the perfect sub combo.

6. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle then Findley... Or maybe even Buddle then Gomez.