Finding accommodation

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by Shearer9, Jan 16, 2010.

1. royial

royial Member

May 16, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks for your help!
    What about Sandton region? Is it better?

2. hiding_in_the_grass

hiding_in_the_grass New Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hi all,

World cup period lurker, first time poster. Thanks to scorps for the scanner - missed out on most tix by a fraction but im sure disappointment was wide spread for many. Appreciate the efforts/ Still was great adrenaline rush and brought back memories from 2006.

Question is related to accommodation - our group booked a room in Spinnakers apartment block in Durban on point Rd. Its been an ongoing effort to try and proper confirmation from a tour group called 'rosebuds' . The booking was made through sleeping out where part deposit was made, but 2 months ago full deposit was wanted. The person in control of our finances got feed up with back and forth emails and paid the full deposit through international bank transfer. But since then it seems to have been delaying tactics until i sent an email demanding a form of receipt or copy of ID documentation.

A receipt was finally sent but it looks pretty dodge and could have been done up by anyone. We have the tour companies acccount number , branch, swift code - but not sure this really guarantees our position. Also do any scams continue with correspondence ? I would have though now they have our money they would just cut and run? any reasons to continue on with cat and mouse? any other dangers?

The company is apparently based in centurion . So if any local from durban or centurion , or people familiar with accommodation scams could you please help out with some advice as time is drawing close!

Any help would be fantastic.

HITG

3. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A lot of people are booked to stay at the Formula 1 hotel in Wynberg. I have warned them re Alex and Factories yet the hotel is well priced and very conveniently located to the Fan park, Gautrain, Sandton etc. Do you guys still think it is a no go -it is right next to the highway on the very edge of Wynberg 0 you can actually see it off the M1. I have told them not to walk there at night and the usual warnings.
    Thoughts?

4. akshay

akshay Member

Apr 23, 2009
    That is not good at all. I am actually booked at the Formula 1 in Wynberg for the first week. I am in SA for 37 days and will be working remotely as well so I need a comfortable safe place to stay at.

I am going to cancel my booking there, do you guys have any other suggestions?

What about this place?

http://www.worldcup-safrica.com/wereweare.html

5. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Looks ok but it is far from the action - in the countryside. Don't be too hasty in cancelling Wynburg yet - check what the others have to say. The question was asked about Wynberg itself not the Formula 1. Wynberg itself does not even have houses - the Formula 1 is situated almost in Bramley suburb

6. akshay

akshay Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Ok but here is the thing. I am there for a while, there will be days when I have to work a lot and I don't want to be cramped up in a hostel or a really small room. So I was thinking of staying at this place for a few days till I get more familiar with the area and then move.

What would be the best area to stay, something not far away from the action?

7. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    try http://www.sa-venues.com/gauteng/bandb/irene.php
    or
    http://www.sa-venues.com/gauteng/bandb/centurion.php

I think I have said to you before that Centurion is close enough to the action - should be cheaper than Jhb and accessible to fan parks, metro rail, loftus and highways leading to games. Have no Ide of your budget but at this late stage and because you are staying so long I think you can negotiate a good price - especially with the private B & B's. They would prefer someone staying for a while.

8. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Marked this one again - Pule And African Biohazard - can you comment?

9. francois.subke

francois.subke New Member

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hi Guys,

I registered on this site, specifically because I see many people struggling with accomodation / area etc. I have lived in SA my whole life and feel ashamed of the terrible prices for accomodation.

I am more than happy to offer advise to anyone who wants to know more about an area transport etc.

I will check back often to reply to your questions.

10. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    If it's next to the highway then it shoudln't be a problem but a walk at night is a NO-NO unless you are transported by a South African.

11. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    As of late the prices have become reasonable as most accomodation deserted MATCH.

12. JMoMo

JMoMo New Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Vancouver
    Thank again BoughtmyPoints and others for your help in planning.

As for our accom in Cape Town, after discussing it with my mates, we have decided to stay downtown in a nice hotel for three night rather than drive from Melkbos and rent a car. One mate used his points so we are staying pretty cheap in the hotel. Whew.

For the other nights we are staying in a B&B in Gardens (Gordon St.) area for about 1200R per night (3adults). Is that area good and can we walk from there to the Fanfest?

We used

http://www.wheretostay.co.za/

to find the B&B which some others have posted and was pretty good. There were still nice places available.

Thanks again all. Enjoy the WC

13. madtown

madtown Member

Jan 19, 2010
    i'm still looking for a place to stay for the 11th and 12th and am going to the usa/england game in rustanburg. My plan right now is to stay at a hotel near the airport and drive to the game, but would prefer something closer so we don't have to drive back after usa/england. there's 3 of us, but we only need one room.

any help would be great.

14. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Someone posted this site in Rustenburg - looks like fun
    http://www.africaubuntu.co.za/index.php/rustenburg/46.html

That means you can drive to Rustenburg after landing, go to the Pilanesberg game reserve or sun City then go to the game the next day - perfect.

15. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was one who originally booked this place. The main reason I booked at this Formula 1 is how close it is to everything. It is right on the highway.

Now the other question I have is that for people heading to the FIFA fan park in Sandton, which I'd imagine would be a popular destination, they want us to park in the Rautenbach Square, which is deeper in Wynburg and then walk to Innesfree Park. Surely FIFA/police will be all over this area? I mean, FIFA wants people to stay late at the park, then they must secure the walking route to the cars haha. My hotel is only 300 m from this supposed walking route, and I would think it would be safe, right next to the highway.

16. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup - I think the others saw Wynberg only and did not know/remember about the little patch of suburb. The police are really out in full force at the moment - I am sure it will stay that way during the WC.
    Check other thread re Gautrain - you will not be able to catch it as the train stops running at 20h30.

17. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah thanks, guess I will have to take a cab the entire way unless you can think of a better option?

18. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Booked and paid R1000 on May 19
    Just received this:eek:

Dear Guest

CLASSIC CROWN PROPERTIES 198 CC TRADING AS SIGNAL HILL LODGE

This serves to inform you that Signal Hill Lodge was provisionally liquidated in the High Court of South Africa (Western Cape High Court, Cape Town) on 5 May 2010.

The Liquidators have informed us that they will not be continuing the trading operation of the lodge. In the circumstances we regret to inform you that the lodge will be unable to accommodate you for the period of your confirmed reservation.

We have provided your details to the Liquidators who shall shortly be in contact with you so that you may submit a claim against the Close Corporation in respect of any payment that you may have already made to secure your booking. To assist us in this regard, we request that you kindly by return email provide us with your postal and email address.

In an effort to ensure that you are not inconvenienced in any way, we have contacted various hotels and lodges in and around Cape Town City Bowl that would be able to accommodate you during your stay. Please find attached a list of these hotels and lodges. We would recommend that you liaise directly with your preferred hotel/lodge to make the necessary arrangements should you require tours or airport transfers.

We once again, apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you in this regard.

Regards

Signal Hill Lodge
    Tel: 0878078847
    Tel: (021) 426 5363
    Fax: (021) 426 5368

29 Military road,
    Upper Bo Kaap
    CBD
    E-mail: info@signalhilllodge.com
    www.signalhilllodge.com

19. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    I am very sorry to hear this.

If you paid by cc, you can claw back the money.

Otherwise ... looks like a nice bit of fraud. You could amuse yourself by "laying a charge" at a police station but nothing will happen as you will be out of the country when the matter eventually reaches court.

If you paid by bank transfer, you can try and get your bank to claw back the money.

20. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Thanks VdC(tis you innit?)
    I did infact pay via a Visa debit-might be worth pursuing

21. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    VdC - that sounds grand but isn't me.

I would imagine you used your debit card as a credit card, i.e. without a PIN number. That should make things easier. Call your bank ASAP.

That website is still taking bookings!

Incompetence is a sorry excuse here.

22. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup - phoned them but they are not taking bookings AS OF TODAY! If someone in CT can go and check it out it would be great to see what is REALLY going on.

Do you think it would be worth reporting this on Hello Peter?

23. Yolanda

Yolanda New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Gronum, I am proud to see a fellow South African putting in so much effort to help the foreign visitors and I want to do my bit as well.

I see that a few of you are still struggling to find accommodation. DefTouch85, if you haven't come right with accommodation yet, then contact me. I will give you first option on free accommodation in Pretoria.

My fiance and I live in a house in Menlyn (Pretoria) and we can accommodate 3 people (2 in a double room and 1 in a single room). Our house is situated near the highways and has a jacuzzi with projector screen for movies, lapa with braai area, swimming pool, DSTV and access to internet.

As the accommodation is for free, you will just have to provide your own food.

No, there is no catch. I just feel sorry for everyone who is struggling to find accommodation and it will be nice to help out if I can.

:)

24. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Aaargh.Thought you were infact the god from trip advisors WC forum who is Van de Caab.Sorry bloke,thanks for the advice

25. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Speak to Yolanda - if she is genuine with her offer then this will be the perfect place for you