Finding accommodation

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by Shearer9, Jan 16, 2010.

1. vuvuzela

vuvuzela New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    FREE accommadation in Port Elizabeth yes i will offer u free accommadation all i need in return is for u to bring some car parts from the UK i will save courier costs and in return will give u free accommadation MAX OF 4 PEOPLE contact me if u intrested ps the parts will fit into a normal size bag gmitri@telkomsa.net:D

2. markwilson88

markwilson88 New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does anyone know of a good place to stay in Plettenberg Bay?

Will be a night stop on the drive down from CT to PE for England Slovenia. Ideally looking for somewhere you can book online.

Thanks!

3. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Not Plett, but close by in Knysna ...

http://www.loginn-knysna.co.za/?gclid=CKeXxoKY8qECFVdO5wod0WbUng

Very comfortable, 24 hour security, own car park, excellent breakfast.

If you request a room facing the street, you can pick up free wifi from Olde's restaurant located right across the street, just ask a waiter for the password

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Knysna/Oldes-Pub-Grill/81788212997

which has very reasonably priced food and drinks, big sports hang out

4. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is looking for a place in Jburg, a few of us are staying at Forumla 1 in North Sandton. 1 mile from Nelson Mendela Plaza, less than a mile to the Fifa fan park, 550 zar a night for 2 bed place when I booked, if anyone wants to join our group, lmk.

5. markwilson88

markwilson88 New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    THANKS - looks real good, might well book this one up

6. Dr3xus

Dr3xus New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    LOL @ vuvuzela... great idea :p

I'm in the JHB area and volunteering for the WC at soccer city so I guess if ppl are interested I can offer a lift to some of the games if someone can bring me 2-3kg of cards (mtg) I would like to order from US/UK ^_^

and tbh there are a lot of guest houses in and around where i stay (benmore/sandton) seeing as construction has been literally going on year round over here. I just feel that e-bookings are not as developed in SA as basically every other country ive visited. If there is interest I'll go yellow pages/drive around and get a couple of their numbers and/or rates so that those who are leaving it late or what not can call them up once they are here/closer to the time?

email me if ur interested! d r 3 xu s (( a t) g m ai l

7. yoyoyo2k8

yoyoyo2k8 Member

May 4, 2009
    what is mtg cards /\?

8. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
  9. DefTouch85

DefTouch85 New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    This should be deleted - dodgy

10. Grecian1904

Grecian1904 New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hi,

Looking for advice for accomodation in Rustenberg (15th) and Durban (17th-22nd). Have left it late 'cos didn't know if I'd be able to go.

Any suggestions for places to go to, or to avoid (I was told to steer clear of Banana Backpackers in Durban because of the area?).

Cheers.

11. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    try happy hippo backpackers hostel in durban

12. vuvuzela

vuvuzela New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Pine street in durban has always been a bit of a dodge area i think u could find better

13. mm001

mm001 New Member

May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. hingus2000

hingus2000 Member

Apr 16, 2010
    We are staying at a place called Tekweni Backpackers in Durban. Got decent reviews and seems a fun crowd.

15. Roberto Larcos

Roberto Larcos New Member

Celtic
    Scotland
    Apr 19, 2010
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I haven't managed to sort out accommodation for Durban either.

I'm there for Brazil-Portugal and the semi so all the hostels are booked out, apart from Banana Backpackers it seems. Is the area to be avoided at all costs?

If I can't find anywhere to stay, I think I will fly in on the morning of the games, hopefully party all night after the match and catch an early flight out the next morning...

16. royial

royial Member

May 16, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you know Wynberg region in Johannesburg?
    Is it a good/safe place?

Thanks.

17. taco funk

taco funk New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi, I'm about to book lodging in Johannesburg, but I need to choose between lodging in Melville, Forest Town or Linden. I was initially focusing just on the Melville area b/c we want to be able to walk to restaurants/bars/etc. Can anyone tell me about Forest Town and Linden? I really like the house in Linden, but know nothing of the area.

18. Grecian1904

Grecian1904 New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cheers for the suggestions!

Have booked the Parade Hotel in Durban (it seems to have availability, and its not too pricey). Its very near where the fanfest will be (yes, a beach with football and beer - surely thats paradise!). The hotels on Marine Parade - is the area okay?

19. Grecian1904

Grecian1904 New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was advised to avoid it by a local. The fact its so cheap and still has availability probably suggests something.

20. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    I stayed at Banana Backpackers in Pine Street on 2 occasions and I have never felt threatened. I recommend it to anyone who's backpacking.

21. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Go for Melville, you gonna love it.

22. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Don't even think of looking back, http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=55200473&postcount=434

23. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    The place is not good at all...stupid minibus people are making it their haven.

24. African Biohazard

Apr 16, 2010
    Johannesburg
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    I agree with Pule - Wynberg is not for tourists. Mostly industrial neighbourhod and close to Alexandra township. Please stay clear.

25. werewolf88

werewolf88 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does that also pertain to the Formula 1 hotel? looks like its right on the border with Sandton, but just across the motorway.