Financial Woes????

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by VFL Wolfsburg, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you certainly are.

2. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it bleeds, it leads.

Trust me, a team that is about to fall apart financially gets a lot more media coverage than a team playing games.

I saw it first hand here in Rochester when the original Rhinos owners went bankrupt.

There were reporters digging for dirt on the story that NEVER cover soccer.

My guess is that the same thing would happen in this case.

Unfortunately.

3. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Even though the Vaids may have breached their contract, Cooper was unable legally to put his own money into the team. He was advised such an action would be breach of contract on his part.
    A third party could invest, however, since they're not a party on the original contract, they can't breach it. The search continues for such an investor to step in for AC STL"

I just had to post that again, so it sinks in for those blaming Cooper for everything!
    Oh and Chickenhead, you called it correctly, great job. Maybe you should start your own blog!! LOL!

4. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope the bond can float AC long enough for him or someone to work something out with the Vaids for AC STL. I'm still really sick about Athletica and sorry for their players and fans. I understand the anger and grief going on on their boards and facebook and I just hope the AC fans embrace them when they're ready, but give them time.

5. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. I hope the team does something nice for the season ticket holders too.

6. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

don't pat me on the back too hard- there still may be more info to come out. but that was the only thing that made sense to me at the time. Hopefully when this whole episode is over, Cooper himself will be able to tell the story and explain why Athletica couldn't be saved. It just didn't seem like he'd let them fold if he had any choice. I know it won't make Athletica fans feel better right now, but maybe they won't hold AC STL responsible. That is, if we make it through this shitstorm.

7. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Kool-Aid is flowing big-time once again. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

One question, just to break up the party: if Cooper's such a financial genius, why would he be party to such a ridiculous contract?

8. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand, too. A lot of people see women's soccer as a niche sport within a niche sport, so the hardcore fans develop their own sub-culture that much faster and become that much more invested in it to make it work.

Given time (and Liz's leadership), I would love to see most of those fans remain AC fans. Laclede's Army represented well at the last game, so let's just hope that becomes the norm from now on.

9. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well you keep hoping for the worst and I'll keep hoping for the best. If you're right we can all sit at home and watch soccer on TV and you can be king of the thread. If I'm right I'll continue to have fun at soccer park and you can find something else to be negative about on message boards.

You're in a win-win. Cheers.

10. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, answer this: on what expertise do you base your opinion that it's a "ridiculous contract"? Do you actually know anything about contract law or business? Or, as far as you know, could this be a totally routine contract?

I'm serious: if you know what you're talking about, shed some light on it for the rest of us.

11. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that if I were going to start a professional sports team, I wouldn't allow myself to be unable to, oh I dunno, pay for it myself under bad circumstances. Call me crazy.

12. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Negative Nancy, because that's the way contract law works. If it specifies that one party will do something, then the other party is supposed to abide by it. There's probably no "for the general good of soccer" clause recognized by the courts.

Cooper is probably planning on suing the Vaids for breach of contract, so he's watching his step. If he does anything outside of the terms at all, they'd probably counter-sue him, and he and the team would both be out money.

(Not saying he's a financial genius, he did go into business with these guys. Just tired of the doom-and-gloom posts. I think some people just want Cooper to be at fault so that you can have someone whose name you can pronounce when you make up angry chants.)

13. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he write a contract where he's on the hook if they default? Wouldn't he want the contract to hold the majority investors more responsible? Where he could sue them if they drop the ball (like they did)? Your version sounds way more ridiculous.

14. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigSoccer says: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to demunb again."

15. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who said he was a financial genious? The guy was a lawyer, made lots of money, loves soccer. He got his feet wet in England and wants the game in his hometown. If he did make a mistake in the contract by not expecting anything like this to happen, then yes maybe he should have gone for that business degree instead of the law degree.

16. Jozd

Jozd Member

Oct 18, 2009
    red rock vs blu rock
    Wasn't that the point of the bond to help get through a sticky situation otherwise AC would already be gone like Athletica because the WPS did not have a similar bond so the leagues need to share the blame / praise for D2 whatever. Now we gotta hope that the 400000 bond will hold out until Coop can either take back over AC or find someone else to.. (KHAN hopefully:p)

17. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still waiting for a certain blogger to publicly apologize regarding his wild speculations.

18. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    It's not all doom and gloom - there will be new NASL CEO at the Tampa game tonight.

Even Tampa has had it hicups - their media crew is green as apples - only had 2 photo passes for the opening game. Then, there is the bad blood of the USL headquarters being in Tampa and the NASL Rowdies too. The Rowdies allowed one (1) USL staffer to attend the game.

There will be no media guides for most clubs as the D-2 is run by US Soccer on a cut-rate budget. There are no uniform directives for the league as both the USL and NASL have different ideas.

The big picture has to be to work toward keeping soccer - and keeping it quality. But it will take some hard work and level heads to keep D-2 soccer afloat.

Stay thirsty my friends.

19. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    IMHO Copper is very very smart - the team will not fold. We need corporate sponsorship - financial corporations need to step up orACSTL should issue stock to the fans like the Sounders and pay dividends - the community needs to stick together - STL PRIDE! if we ever want an MLS franchise - lets get a samba band with some Brazilian knockouts to parade the city and hand out flylers - then attend have them attend the matches - bang the drums, make some music and samba - samba - samba! say 6-10 hot Brazilian samba dancers.....get some speed up there in the top third and learn the offside rule and we may pack the place every match...we are getting better - but there is no flair - no finess - no speed

20. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much fun as this sounds, do you know any hot Brazilian St. Louisans?

I don't even know any non-hot Brazilian St. Louisans other than Titton and Gauchinho.

21. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And if it weren't for the "allegedly" high salaries of Titton and Gauchinho we wouldn't be as bad off as we are. We should ban all Brazilians from the park. :D

Besides we've got Liz, so drums and bikinis are taken care of. ;)

Again, fan support is the least of our worries. Sections 19 & 20 have more fans than the entire Minnesota game last night. We're already loud and making it a party. And then there's the whole other side of the pitch for those that want to sit and quietly watch the game. We just need daddy Warbucks to invest some cash. More fans would be better, more money would be a solution.

22. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm still waiting for someone to apologize for posting on a "soccer" blog and not having a clue who Jose Mourinho is!

23. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks........I needed a laugh real bad ......I dont know any either....but would like too! hope my wife doesnt read this post!

24. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    How bout we win at home - free corn dogs for all the fans!

25. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Cooper wrestles a bear at halftime? (couldnt resist!)