finals draw

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ironduke2010, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, should the usa manage to get to the cup finals, what are the odds we get drawn into group A with germany? will the finals draw on nov 29 be based on pots that keep seeded teams away from each other? if so, what's the criteria for the seeding? i can't imagine qualification via a half spot would help in any seeding criteria...

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is zero chance we get drawn into a group with Germany. New FIFA rankings came out this week and we're still ranked #1 with Germany #2. So if we beat Italy next Saturday, I think we'll still be a seeded team. Now, whether we end up in super tough group (such as Sweden, Nigeria, NK as we have for 2 world cups running--and Nigeria & NK were in our group in 1999, too) is another matter.

The draw will be broadcast by FIFA if you're interested in that sort of thing.

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But exactly how do they seed the teams. If the US makes it, they will be the 3rd team from Concacaf. Will they go by that or will they go by the rankings? I can't even remember how they did it last time.

So far we've got:

Europe: Germany #2 (host), England #10, France #8, Sweden #4, Norway #7
    Asia: Australia #12, Japan #5, Korea DPR #6
    North America: Canada #9, Mexico #22
    Africa: Equatorial Guinea #62, Nigeria #27
    South America: Brazil #3
    Oceania: New Zealand #23

Playoff: USA #1 or Italy #11
    South America 2: Chile #46, Argentina #28, or Columbia #32

And although you have to take the rankings with a grain of salt (or maybe several grains of salt) in order, the 19 teams still with a chance:

1. USA
    2. Germany
    3. Brazil
    4. Sweden
    5. Japan
    6. Korea DPR
    7. Norway
    8. France
    9. Canada
    10. England
    11. Italy
    12. Australia
    22. Mexico
    23. New Zealand
    27. Nigeria
    28. Argentina
    32. Columbia
    46. Chile
    62. Equatorial Guinea

4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    FIFA have not said how they will decide the pots for the draw. But the lasts two or more WWC the top seed have been host, champion and the top seeded from FIFA ranking (so Sweden will probably be seeded).
    The other pots have been based on Confederation. FIFA have never as far as I remeber (30 or so years) seeded based on placement in the qualification (wich would be hard since UEFA teams very rarely have one).

Speculations about most likely draw:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588163

5. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh, thanks for the link. didn't find that thread earlier.

6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    [quote
    1. USA
    2. Germany
    3. Brazil
    4. Sweden
    5. Japan
    6. Korea DPR
    7. Norway
    8. France
    9. Canada
    10. England
    11. Italy
    12. Australia
    22. Mexico
    23. New Zealand
    27. Nigeria
    28. Argentina
    32. Columbia
    46. Chile
    62. Equatorial Guinea[/quote]

Right now, at this moment, beating many of these teams would be a huge challenge for our current starting WNT.

7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    By the way, Colombia has advanced along with Brazil from CONMEBOL, by virtue of their 1-0 victory over Argentina and Brazil's 3-1 result against Chile.

Colombia could be an interesting team to watch in Germany. The same generation of players (U-17s in 2008, and U-20s in 2010) have had success at youth tournaments. Will they be able to continue it to the next level?

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can probably figure that if the US manages to get by Italy, that they will probably have one of the European teams not rated in the overall top four (England, France, or Norway), one of the Asian/Australia sides (Japan, Korea DPR, or Australia), and then probably SA2 or one of the African teams. If it's Nigeria, from what I've heard about them, we're going to have one hell of a tough group.

I have to agree with Brooklyn Soccer, every game will be a struggle.

Take England for instance. Kelly Smith and Eni Aluko against our backline. We would have two things to hope for in that game, just put up about six goals ourselves like Germany did last year and plain outscore them or pray that the refs are in an offsides mood and Aluko gets called every time she gets behind our defense.

Of course, this could all be a moot point if Saturday goes badly.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the groups we've been in for every Women's World Cup. Does anything stand out?

1991 (3 groups)
    United States
    Sweden
    Brazil
    Japan

1995 (3 groups)
    United States
    China PR
    Denmark
    Australia

1999 (4 groups)
    United States
    Nigeria
    Korea DPR
    Denmark

2003 (4 groups)
    United States
    Sweden
    Korea DPR
    Nigeria

2007 (4 groups)
    United States
    Sweden
    Korea DPR
    Nigeria

Based on past history and taking into account the fact that Sweden is #4 and so possibly seeded... If we do get past Italy on Saturday here's what I think our group will be.

USA, Nigeria, Korea DPR, France. Depends on how much the folks doing the draw want to screw Norway. So, I'll pick France to be in our group.

10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    You always had one ou our* teams in your group so count on the UEFA team in it being Norway**. ;)

*=Scandinavian

**=Sweden is probably seeded and Denmark failed to qualify so Norway is the only one of our's left :D

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. It is so predictable, isn't it. Only Denmark not being in the WWC field messes things up. :cool:

But I couldn't decide whether those that fixed the draw would want to screw Norway more than they'd want to screw France. Given that the draw is in Germany I went with the easy Germany/France love-fest joke.

12. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that the alternatives include being grouped with Germany or Brazil, wouldn't being put in the USA's group count as an easy draw?

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when you take the other members of the group (if they are Nigeria & Korea DPR) into consideration. The goal is to be top 2 and advance to knockout rnds. Look at England in 2007. They were in Germany's group but got to face Argentina and battle Japan for 2nd. Canada was in the Germany/Argentina/Japan group in 2003. And they came in 2nd (w/ Japan 3rd)

Srsly. There have been a lot of repeat match-ups in the group stages over the last 2 iterations.

14. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But USA, North Korea, and Nigeria looks much less formidable than Germany, North Korea, and Nigeria or Brazil, North Korea, and Nigeria.

15. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    The Draw

With qualifying in the bag (phew), I suppose we need a place to discuss the upcoming WWC draw. It will be broadcast on ESPN3.com live from Frankfurt, coverage beginning at 1:45 pm EST Monday.

Julie Foudy is jumping on a plane to be there as the U.S. representative.

Does FIFA decide the top four seeds based on their own rankings? If so, that would be the United States, Germany, Brazil, and Sweden.

16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Re: The Draw

Sorry, didn't see there was an existing thread for the draw. Mods feel free to delete this one.

17. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully her voice gets better.

18. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Julie should stay home...she has that nasty flu bug going around...

As Abby W said in yesterday's post game comments this team has been going non-stop for the last 11 months. They desperately need to recharge their batteries. That said Pia also needs to bring in more young players like Alex Morgan (ie. LeRoux, Mewis to name a few), but she also needs to tweak the midfield and back line big time. At least she knows what the problem is and hopefully will work on it.

I am sure no one will want to be in the USA's group.

Here are is my mock draw. Teams on top of each group are the seeded ones.

Germany
    Norway
    Colombia
    Japan

USA
    Australia
    Eq. Guinea
    New Zealand

Brazil
    France
    Nigeria
    Canada

Sweden
    England
    Mexico
    No. Korea

19. BHBH1

BHBH1 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
  20. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Merged threads. Sorry to make it seem like ag nigrin double posted. :eek:

21. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
  22. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I deleted one of them Bonnie Lass! Thanks!

23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  24. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
  25. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Here is my mock draw #2. Teams on top of each group are the seeded ones.

Germany
    Mexico
    Eq. Guinea
    England

Japan
    Canada
    Nigeria
    Norway

USA
    No. Korea
    Columbia
    France