Finally an alternative to McBride

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by cvilleva, Oct 2, 2003.

1. cvilleva

cvilleva New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Cville Va
    With tongue only partially planted in cheek, why not invite Abby Wambach to play in some early round qualifiers...She certainly won't get hit any harder by the boys of St. Kitts and Nevis than she was last night by the Norweigians.

And honestly at 5'11'' and 180 she's as big or bigger than every other credible alternative than McBride isn't she?

On a more serious note, why is that the US, a nation of football and increasingly thuggish basketball players, can only produce two people (McBride and Wambach) with the size, determination, power, etc. to play that role of dominant presence in the box heading or holding that forces goals, dangerous free kicks and makes every corner a threat?

Are these skills/physical attributes/heart really as rare as those that make a gifted playmaker?

At 5'8'', 150 I really wouldn't know :)

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'm 6'2'', 185...where do I sign up?

From Centreville huh? I'm from Chantilly.

3. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Conor Casey and Edson Buddle are both around 6'1 and 180-190 pounds. Thats big enough in my book.

4. cvilleva

cvilleva New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Cville Va
    Buddle and Casey

Having attended the 2000 Olympics and watched Buddle at Columbus I have to say I've never seen either of them jump for a header with 3 defenders holding their jersey, like I've seen McBride and Wambach do regularly -- and they certainly don't draw the freekicks by holding the ball in dangerous areas

5. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm willing to bet Agoos could out run Wambach. Why don't we just call him up? :rolleyes:

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i am willing to bet not...

7. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "On a more serious note, why is that the US, a nation of football and increasingly thuggish basketball players, can only produce two people (McBride and Wambach) with the size, determination, power, etc. to play that role of dominant presence in the box heading or holding that forces goals, dangerous free kicks and makes every corner a threat?"

You make a good point and also answer it yourself. Unfortunately for soccer these athletes are playing football or basketball.

8. reuellis

reuellis New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    West Virginia
    John Spencer, what a giant he is, and he still wins air balls.

9. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I saw the title to this thread listed on 'BigSoccer Live' and I immediately thought Abby Wambach. :D

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spencer vs. Abby

Not like Wambaugh, he doesn't.

11. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Back in the mid 90's, the theory was that the USMNT should have called up Mia Hamm to replace the often-injured Tab Ramos.

Who would have noticed? She's taller than Cobi and has shorter hair than Marcelo Balboa.

12. cvilleva

cvilleva New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Cville Va
    is there any rule against it...

again, not really being serious here, but with the news that Perugia is talking about signing Hanna Ljungberg, is there any rule that would prevent the US MNT from playing Abby in these silly first round qualifiers that CONCACAF, in its insanity, is requiring us to play?

13. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    I half-seriously thought the same thing last night as I was watching Wambach abuse the Norway defenders. Frankly, I think the Italian club that was making noises about signing Hanna Lundburg (sp?) should try to sign Wambach instead. I understand she's out of work after the WWC anyway.

14. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Re: is there any rule against it...

Um yeah.

She doesnt have a pecker.

She can't play for the Men

15. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    This is getting a little ridiculous. Wambach could never compete on the same field as men. She is slower then a glacier. I would like to see her win one head ball with Boca or Pope marking her.

16. cvilleva

cvilleva New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Cville Va
    back to the point

A good stage to return to the real point...

why isn't there a good alternative to the oft-injured mcbride? if nothing other than the Gold Cup game vs. Brazil it has been shown conclusively that we need someone like him to compete against the better teams.

So given that Casey, Buddle, Johnson, etc. have thus far underwhelmed (feel free to disagree as long as you have evidence), where are the alternatives?

17. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The question really is whether there is another player in the US similiar to McBride in that he would be a target man as well as go up in the air to get the ball.

18. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I don't see how you can say Buddle has underwhelmed. Edson Buddle is one of the most exciting young players in the league. He is tall, extremely strong, excellent at holding the ball, good off the dribble, and finishes extremely well. As much as like McBride, Buddle can do a lot of things that he can't especially considering he is only 21. Casey had a promising start, but seems to have a knee problem at the moment. Eddie Johnson is playing very well right now. He is tall, extremely fast, and very good with the ball at his feet. Add Taylor Twellman to the mix and I think we are doing just fine. Lets not forget that we still have McBride, Mathis, and Donovan.

19. dude8

dude8 Member

Apr 2, 2002
    phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've got it

manute bol-

think of the possibilities!

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I also want to point out that there's a target forward that should be a pro soon named Knox Cameron, who is a member of the U23 team.

He's 6-3, 205 and currently a junior at Michigan. Word is he's turning pro after this season.

http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=226&section_id=295&top=2&level=3&season=235

Also, don't forget about 6-3 Nate Jaqua. He's not ready right now but give him a year or two and he should be ready.

Between Jaqua, Cameron, Buddle, Casey, Johnson and Ching, we should have enough alternatives to McBride if we want/need a target forward.

For the record, the same thought about Wambauch did flash through my mind when I watcher her score against Norway! I dismissed it, but I did consider it.

And while I don't think she would actually make the team, she is a winner and I really like that in my national teamers. She won an NCAA title at Florida and a WUSA title with the Freedom and finished second in the WUSA last year as a rookie. Now she's two games away from a world title and she will likely medal a year from now.

21. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes, Nate Jaqua is certainly an excellent prospect. I have been pleasantly suprised by his skills this year. Not only can he dribble, but he is quite quick as well. How would describe Know Cameron's game? I have heard his name metioned as a good forward prospect, but I don't really know anything about him.

22. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ljunberg's better looking though. Maybe that's the motivation.

23. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    It's just that all of the young players have not had the chance to show they are capable of replacing McBride. IIRC Buddle was injured during the Cups this summer, Johnson was burried on the bench, Twellman was sick, and I don't know about hte rest. I think in the early stages of WCQ, we will see some of prospects get a chance.

24. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Is there actually a FIFA rule against women playing for men's teams? I can realistically see a situation where some minnow country might have a horrible men's team but an incredibly talented female player who would be good enough to make their men's team.

In any case, it might be kind of a fun thing to see an exhibition match played between countries where 5 or 6 players on each team had to be women. Wouldn't it be kinda neat to see a mixed US side versus a mixed Brazil side?

25. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Yea, but too bad that the US women's national team gets owned by UVA, and has a hard time competing with our U-18s.