Final WNBA attendence numbers.....

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by USAsoccer, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Since when does government public policy dictate what is covered in the media. This is the USA not China.

2. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    To clarify, people are interested in public policy and issues about society in general, and women in pro sports will get bonus coverage and interest as a result, independent of the entertainment value provided on the court itself. Nowhere did I say "the government mandates coverage of the WNBA."

(P.S. I won't digress into an anti-Rumsfeld and Cheney tirade about government policy dictating press coverage, but I will leave that to your imagination)

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, at least I now know why I disagree with 95% of everything you post :)

Andy

4. There's no use really arguing this point. I think we can all agree its gets the coverage it gets because of three letters: N B A

5. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point 1: WNBA does NOT receive very much coverage to begin with.

Point 2: What little coverage they do receive is very much tied to their big brother, especially on ESPN.

Andy

6. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Because Dick Cheney told you to?

(But we digres...)

7. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Query: If I post that I agree with this post, will Andy B disagree with it? I guess I'll just up my standing to 94%

8. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a split personality so I think we are covered here! :D

Andy

9. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jumping into the fray if I may...

This is exactly my biggest problem with ESPN. They show MLS every week on ESPN2, but never do I see a highlight from a match on Sportscenter. Never do I see an interview with Clint Mathis or Landon Donovan (World Cup not included.) I just don't understand it. If you offer a product, wouldn't you want to use your number one venue to promote it?

Food for thought... Does ESPN havve the deal with MLS, just so that ABCDISNEY could get the rights to the World Cup?

Since losing the Yankees, MSG has paid much more attention to the Metrostars. It has started it's own Metrostars pre-game show, and is featuring almost nightly Metrostars reports during it's SportsDesk broadcast. Not knowing the specifics, I can't speak regarding attendance at Giants Stadium, but from what I've read, viewership of Metrostars games on MSG has gone up. Is this mere coincidence? I'm not so sure.

10. Great post about the metros on msg. It just shows that any business is about marketing and promotion. I watch MSG sportsdesk all the time and they treat the metros like they do any other major sports team in the area with game previews, analysis, features, etc. As a result, people start following these stories and then are intrigued to watch the game. According to the NY times, since msg started doing this with the metros their matches have now passed the islanders and devils in the ratings. This is even more impressive considering tv viewership is lower in the summer. Thats what makes the overall lack of promotion in the media so frustrating.

11. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    Washington also requires purchase of WNBA season tickets with NBA season tickets. (I'm not sure if they do it with everyone, but they definately do it with some.)

Therefore, the "profitability" you see is actually from counting money that people paid to see Michael Jordan as Mystics revenue.

And don't believe that actual attendance is anything close to announced attendance. I know MLS has occasionally been accussed of using misleading attendance numbers, but the WNBA (specifically Washington) is an absolute joke. I get a chuckle out of seeing the "WNBA Attendance Champion" banners at MCI center.

12. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN does not offer MLS.

MLS (SUM) buys time on ESPN.

It is not too much different than an infomercial on a local station. You will rarely if ever see the local station promoting a infomercial.

SUM bought the rights to the 2002 and 2006 WC.

SUM entered an agreement with Disney to show the WC on Disney, if Disney would also clear some space for MLS games.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/01/mls0102wctv.html

13. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Well, baseball has decided to strike. Therefore, there will be room for MLS, WUSA, and WNBA on our radar screens. Would it be so for SportsCenter!

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they've set a date. They haven't decided to strike, big difference.

Room on the radar screen and an inclination to put something on the radar screen are different as well.

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I always tell people I wish I had the money to buy a Corvette.

I don't want to buy a Corvette, I just wish I had the money.

16. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    You own a Corvette? Cool.

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Just wish I had the money dude. Just wish I had the money.

18. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Oh, sorry. I was just trying to follow along in the great BS tradition of misreading posts and putting words in others mouths.

Sorry to hear you had to sell your Corvette. . .

19. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    WNBA attendence numbers after the first 8 games:

6,038 Charlotte
    6,693 Utah
    8,187 LA
    9,241 Houston
    9,686 Seattle
    10,198 Indiana
    10,988 NY
    14,117 Wash

Compare these numbers to the actual attendence given as a season average.

Here, you do not have freebees being given. You have less of a fudge factor in terms of actual attendence.

In other words, these number better reflect what a team is actually drawing on a semi regular basis. New York, LA, Houston and Washington are all noteworthy, because those are the big four. In all cases, attendence is significantly lower.

Of course, the caveat is that it is the playoffs, and most of these games were played on the weekend, which is a good attendence draw for the WNBA. That specifically applies to Seattle and Indy.

20. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    :D no problem. I'll get another one when my lottery numbers inevitably hit this weekend.

21. norfcath

norfcath New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Philadelphia
    You might like Delray Beach more.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also have (a) for the most part, I'm guessing, season ticket holders not necessarily included. I don't know if the WNBA, with a short postseason, includes playoff games in your season ticket package, I would think that would be pretentious and I'd doubt it, so you don't have that base to start from; and (b) a short period of time to actually sell tickets, especially group tickets, which are key to getting good numbers. Those two factors are the same for playoffs in any league at this level (outside the Big Four), and your suggestion that it shines the Great Big Light of Truth on WNBA Attendance Fudges isn't exactly telling the whole story.

And it could be because of the reasons outlined above, couldn't it? I mean, if you're going to fudge, what's to stop you from fudging the same way in the playoffs as you do in the regular season?