Final: Sweden vs Canada, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by lil_one, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Perhaps you could give @kolabear some tips.

kolabear repped this.
  2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #227 BrooklynSoccer, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    no, they didn't have the best defense. they allowed more shots and shots on goal and corner kicks than almost all the other knock out teams.

Swedens, GB, Brazil, all allowed fewer goals. Canada only had a +1 goal differential to advance out of the group.

ill awarded penalty kicks in consecutive knockout matches - therefor, gold medal.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They tactically contained stronger teams than themselves - that deserves the gold, otherwise the US or Sweden would have won it.

Accept the result gracefully.

It's not always the best team that wins, just looking at the Gold Cup as a prime example.

justink repped this.
  4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #229 BrooklynSoccer, Aug 6, 2021
    ehh.

The US men didn't get out played in every knock stage game like Canada did - 4 in a row.

Accept what gracefully? I'm fine with US getting Bronze, I'm just pointing out how poorly Canada played and still won.

I just don't think a championship team has ever been so outplayed in every knockout round.
    Can you name one?

During the 15 WC, US women played awful and still advanced, but then at least played brilliantly for a couple matches to win it.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Greece in the 2004 men's Euros was a pretty poor performing club during the tournament but ended up champions.

law10, West Ender and blissett repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Greece at least scored in the run of play tho..

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Please. Unfortunately, one of the big flaws with the game of soccer is the undeserved win. We see it pretty regularly--because it can often be hard to convert superior play into goals--but almost never do you see a team with three greasy, undeserved wins IN A ROW to win a major tournament. Yes, Canada are strong defensively--credit to it. That's half the game. It didn't score a single goal in run of play in the last three games--but did get two dodgy PK calls in regulation, and then made enough penalty kicks. Brazil, U.S., Sweden all outplayed Canada. Heck, Canada won the U.S. match in the 2nd half after playing 45 of 50 minutes in its own defensive half. Gets the ball down the field one time and gets a PK out of it. C'mon. I wouldn't rank Canada in the top 5 of teams in this tourney, if I'm candid.

8. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    If only the game was about the best attacking team winning, or the best players, or the prettiest play, or the most shots on goal, or the least shots on goal or the country with the best system. But it ain't. It's about not losing.

Canada are the only undefeated team in the entire tournament. Called undeserved and lucky in almost every single game they played. It was the same cry the last two Olympics where they were up on the podium. They say the third time's a charm. Only country in the world to medal in each of the last three Olympics.

9. onelessstar

onelessstar Member

Aug 31, 2006
    That was clearly a penalty for Canada in the final. Nailed on.

The semifinal penalty? Controversial, no doubt.

West Ender repped this.
  10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    mst have been a low budget WC. They couldn’t even cobble together a podium or fireworks, apparently.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    (Ahem, 2016) except when they start and finish Kftm with Morgan and Press, you mean?

12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    No point honestly.

13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at least didn't I tell y'all to remember Algarve 2019?!!!

Algarve played a big underlying role in the PKs today. Through a convoluted route it's the reason why Fleming took the PK during regulation and not Sinclair. It's the reason why Canada was willing to sub out Sinclair with a PK shootout looming.

West Ender repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Because it wasn’t the good ole eewessaye?

Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. Left Inside

Left Inside Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Three medals in three Olympics and finally a gold for CS12. The naysayers can blither all they want about about what makes a good match from a fan perspective but on the pitch it's unambiguously who wins the important games and nothing else. Nobody does it without a cohesive team, however talented. A few (very few) do it by running and gunning, and that's all a certain kind of fan seems to remember. Canada did it with stellar keeping, a back four that was happy to concede corners because they knew they could handle them and a potent holding midfield. They played the game they knew they were best at, not the game that others think they should have played. Yap all you want about luck and how four officials with the benefit of video from all angles somehow got the penalty calls wrong, Canada has three medals from three Olympics, they are champions and they will be an inspiration for another generation of youngsters in a country that has no professional league for women. Julia Grosso was 11 when Christine Sinclair led the team to their first bronze in London. Now she and her generation have stepped up to inspire a new generation of kids. Awesome.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Mexico might have been the best in the Copa, but they sent Memo and Martín.to Tokyo.

too greedy, arguably.

17. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    soccernutter and West Ender repped this.
  18. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, let's see if England can finally get that monkey off their back.

law10 repped this.
  19. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #244 West Ender, Aug 6, 2021
    Reminds me of Greece 2004, when they won the men's Euro Championship.

EDIT: Now I see that @Orange14 and I were on the same page. LOL!

blissett repped this.
  20. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #245 West Ender, Aug 6, 2021
    Good idea.
    I would add: made up of Canadians only and player salaries subsidized by the Canadian Federation.

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    this I do love for her though! especially after what 3 bronze in a row and outplaying US in '12?

soccernutter repped this.
  22. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Congrats Canada.....the balance has been restored.

On August 6th, 2012 Canada was on the receiving end of a laughable ref call, when the Usa received a free kick in the Canadian box, because of the so-called 6 second rule.

2021 Canada`s Nr. 6 Deanne Rose get`s her leg in front of the Usa defender Nr. 12 ( call back to 2012....maybe o_O ) and receives the penalty.
    karma.png

In the Olympic Final Nr. 6 Deanne ( 6 Letters :whistling: ) Rose kicks the penalty to save Canada from certain defeat against Sweden.
    vlcsnap-2021-08-06-21h58m12s180.png

Canada won the gold medal with the 6th penalty on August 6th, 2021.
    It all makes sense now.
    PrisonerNumberSIx.jpg

p.s. @blisset....sorry for Nadeshiko. By the time I got into the tournament, they were already home drinking Sake :ninja:

blissett and desinho repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is that good of a tournament for that measurement. No France, no Germany, no Spain, no Italy, very hot, and short time frame. It did show that the US is not this mythical juggernaut, and for that the sport is better.

law10 repped this.
  24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Obviously WC is the best measurement.

blissett and West Ender repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They moved the final location at the last minute. Logistically that could have presented a problem.

I'm also happy for Sinclair.

blissett and onelessstar repped this.