Final Qualifying Match Location

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by bostonbully, May 6, 2005.

1. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    US faces Panama on Wednesday, Oct. 12 in a match that *may* mean Go or No Go to the Fatherland (aka Germany) for the US squad. It is the only qualifier for which a home location has not been announced. Does anyone have an idea, or is there a shred of outstanding rumor, where this match might be?

In other words, after Salt Lake (long weekend), Hartford (day trip), and Columbus (full week), where will our next soccer-driven vacation be?

2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I'm more optimistic than you. We should be long since qualified by then, and they may be holding off on making a decision/announcement in order to see if they have a better sense after the 6/4 and 6/8 games of whether that game will matter. I'm biased, but it really would be great to have that game at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA. I know the reasons for not doing so in terms of trying to ensure the most pro-USA crowd possible, but maybe those go a little by the wayside if we've already clinched a spot. This is a super venue, and we're not going to be able to use it often because of LA's diverse population, so they should seize upon this opportunity.

*** HDC, for the international games that don't matter ***

That said, my best guess is that we end up somewhere in New England.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed that the Fed is waiting...if we need the match, it'll be in Cbus, the Razor, or RFK (baseball being long done by then for the Nationals)...

If qualification's a done deal, HDC is as good a place as any...or possibly Frisco.

4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm glad that they're holding off.

If the tickets were offered now, I'd be compeled to buy one - just in case. If we're in and the game is out west, I probably will forgo going (save the money, vacation time, etc.) for other activities (DCU, WC, beer, etc.).

If the game was local (1 day drive), I probably would go regardless.

I guess they'll announce the location after the June games. Ticket sales to follow in July (these are my guesses based upon no factual information).

5. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All good points, especially regarding the HDC. It is indeed a phenominal facility that is soccer through and through, only it would likely not be very pro-US; I can see USSF having a problem with hosting the final match there if it comes down the wire for our red, white and blue.

By the way, Blech, I'm in your court. I too do not think our WC '06 hopes will come down to the final match. I am confident we will qualify good and early. Not only that but I also think in the process we'll hand Mexico a steady defeat in Columbus. We have to. A celebration not to be missed! Think about it: defeating Mexico AND officially qualifying for WC '06 on the same day. Like Guinness in a bottle... BRILLIANT!

6. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    The Rapids have dropped hints about an international game in October. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up at Invesco. But I haven't heard anything lately.

7. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting...

So, if the match means something, we have (along with my opinion):

the Razor - Gillette Stadium, Foxhole, MA (unlikely since Hartford got a match)
    RFK - Washington, DC (sure)
    CCS - Columbus, OH (unlikely to get another match so close to hosting Mexico)
    Invesco - (sounds good but know little about)

If US has already qualified or is clearly headed toward qualifying:

HDC - Carson, CA (sounds good)
    Frisco - TX (my guess!)

What about Portland? Or a potential MLS expansion market such as Detriot? Or back in Florida, like Miami (if we already qualified)?

8. dmandell

dmandell New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I've been wondering why we haven't gotten an MNT game in so long. The Women's World Cup did quite well here, and I'm quite confident that any game hosted here would have a heavily pro-US crowd (with the exception of US vs. Russia, Ukraine, or Japan).

It's nice to see that Seattle is hosting the MNT for Gold Cup games, I'm hoping Portland gets a look, maybe for the next WC qualifiers?

As it stands I'm driving to SLC for the Costa Rica match, I hope I don't have to drive so far next time around (not that I mind that much, it's a good excuse for a road trip).

9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    BB - you're right. Frisco - but USSF wants to ensure that it's completed. That's probably why the delay in announcing.

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool. I'd love to see it when it's completed.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    It'll be DC if we need a result, HDC or Frisco if we don't.

12. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is this an educated guess or something you heard through the Ape Shrine?

13. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Heard whispers from birdies of Frisco as well, but with the situation there it could well change.

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't be DC, because it falls in the middle of the baseball playoffs, and they have to keep the stadium available just in case. (Hey, they're only 3 games out of first.)

15. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Yeah, but the Nationals will be eliminated long before the announcement has to be made anyway.

16. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    That would be the bizzomb if we got it in Denver, but I wouldn't count on the USSF giving 2 WCQ's to the Rocky Mtn. region. I would say this game is going to be in Portland or Seattle.

I heard a rumor that the "international game" in October is going to be Mexico against a yet to named opponent! (Which unfortunately will probably get a lot better crowd than US-Panama would)

17. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick semi-related question:
    When was the last World Cup Qualifier in Giants Stadium?

18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never.

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I think there will be a qualifier at the Swamp (or the new Jets Stadium if it's ready) during the 2010 cycle. And it won't be a US game. Italy can draw a bigger crowd playing a WCQ against some minnow like Armenia or Azerbaijan there than they'd be able to in Italy. Mexico has set the precedent by playing one of their home qualifiers in San Antonio, and the Italian Super Cup (league champ vs. cup champ) game was at Giants a few years ago. You heard it here first.

20. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I believe the mexico match played in san antonio was for st veincent and the grenadines, whose ISLAND got wiped off the face of the earth during a hurricane..

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Maybe, but the SV&G FA also made a lot more cash out of the game than they would have by playing it at home. Italy is the only major power I could see potentially moving one of their home games to the US (since there've been a lot of Italian club games played here), but I think you'll start to see a lot of small teams playing home games in the US where they can draw huge crowds against teams like Mexico, Italy, Poland, etc. I mean, if you're Liechtenstein you have no chance of beating Portugal anyway, so why not play the game at Gillette, sell 60,000 tickets at $30-75 apiece versus 1,500 tickets at $10 apiece, and make enough money to run your FA for the next 5 years??

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    wild-arse guess (makes sense).

23. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    No, it was for Dominica, who didn't have a stadium to play in. (plus they could make more money that way)

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    There will be a new stadium in the swamp for 2009, as the Giants will be building a new stadium. Hopefully they will make it a little wider on the floor.

Oh, and perhaps the Metrostars will have a nice little home to call their own in 2009.

25. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What about Blaine, MN for a home qualifier? Any thoughts on that? What are the demographics? Capacity? Would we be guaranteed a "US crowd". I stress US crowd as opposed to a pro-US crowd, which implies there are still some fans for the other side.