Final Piece to the Confed Cup Puzzle: Turkey

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Atouk, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    yeah your missing something..

New Zealand is crap. I dont want to see the USA waste 90 minutes of a precious international tournament playing against crap.

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call New Zealand total crap as a side, however. They beat a less-than-optimum-strength Australia side in the final of the Oceania Nations Cup in July, and while Aussies refer to them as "the sheepshaggers", they do have a certain amount of quality.

Remember that they have the likes of MLS-based players such as Simon Elliott, Ryan Nelsen and Duncan Oughton-- and a pretty good striker in Vaughan Coveny, who plays his club ball for Australian NSL side South Melbourne, and a few top-line players who play in Europe. And it was Elliott and Nelsen who combined to score that goal that KO'd the Socceroos... a goal manufactured in MLS and scored in Auckland, I had said at the time.

But insofar as the MLS angle is concerned, given what Elliott, Nelsen and Oughton know about American players from a first-hand experience, I'd be wary of being drawn against the All Whites under their best circumstances.

Yet having said that, I think the USA would beat them 3-0, but it wouldn't be an easy three-goal win, mind you.

Cheers,
    William

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Which ones are?

4. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Flanoverseas:
    Thank you for your kind words. Mind you, many people think that past FIFA draws have not been entirely random. For some reason, this type of discussion brings out the beast in the Big Soccer Moderators. You may recall the extremely nasty discussion when I suggested that the U.S. would be "drawn" in Korea rather than Japan. I quoted Coach Arena around the time of the friendly against Korea in December 2001 that it was nice to get a chance to play over here before the World Cup. I know you could say that "over here" means somewhere in Asia, but it is also reasonable to infer that it means the same country.
    Also intriguing was the fact that Soccer Vacations had on its website prior to the draw packages for the World Cup indicating that you would stay in the capital with day trips to the games and back. This was physically impossible to do in Japan but could be done in Korea. These were tea leaves that led me to believe that the U.S. would be "drawn" in Korea.
    For its part, this is what the FIFA website says about the upcoming Confederations Cup draw:

"Turkey were defeated twice at the finals – both times by Brazil. In the first in Ulsan, Korea, both teams’ opening match, a superb Hasan Sas strike was cancelled out by a goal poached by Ronaldo with Rivaldo converting a late penalty in a highly competitive contest. The sides next squared up in the semi-finals in Saitama, Japan where a lone Ronaldo strike was enough to settle a match many considered the best of the tournament. A potential clash against the team that went on to become world champions would be a mouthwatering prospect and a chance for the Turks to exact some form of revenge."
    Just my opinions.

5. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're going to keep teams from the same confederation apart (France & Turkey), and they're going to put the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the world (Brazil & France) in different brackets, then Brazil and Turkey HAVE to be in the same group, as would France and Colombia.

Doing both of those things makes sense to me, not for the purpose of getting a Brazil/Turkey matchup, but for the purpose of putting on a more balanced and interesting competition.

6. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Maybe FIFA thinks that a Turkey-Brazil final would be just the ticket and make sure they come out of separate groups.

This allows you to have your conspiracy either way. For the true conspiracy theorists, any draw would appear rigged. That said, you still might be right. :D

7. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    With the French revival in full swing and the strong emergence of the US and Turkey, I don't think the outcomes are as easy to predict these days based on groups.

But I think one thing is certain, that Brazil will play in the final. (If they bring their full team).

8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The committee also decided that France and Brazil would be the seeded teams in the two groups and that it would not be possible for the two teams from CONMEBOL (Brazil and Colombia) or the two from UEFA (France and Turkey) to be drawn together in the same group. The draw will take place prior to France’s friendly international against the Czech Republic at the Stade de France on 12 February. The committee announced that an inspection visit to France would be made in December in order to confirm the final details for the organisation of the event.

Match schedule

Group A Group B
    A1 France B1 Brazil
    A2 B2
    A3 B3
    A4 B4

Group Stage
    Date Match no. Venue Time Match
    WED 18.06.2003 1 Paris 18.00 hrs A4 vs A2
    2 Lyon 21.00 hrs A1 vs A3

THU 19.06.2003 3 St Etienne 19.00 hrs B4 vs B2
    4 Paris 21.00 hrs B1 vs B3

FRI 20.06.2003 5 Lyon 19.00 hrs A3 vs A4
    6 St Etienne 21.00 hrs A1 vs A2

SAT 21.06.2003 7 Paris 19.00 hrs B3 vs B4
    8 Lyon 21.00 hrs B1 vs B2

SUN 22.06.2003 9 Paris 21.00 hrs A1 vs A4
    10 St Etienne 21.00 hrs A2 vs A3

MON 23.06.2003 11 St Etienne 21.00 hrs B1 vs B4
    12 Lyon 21.00 hrs B2 vs B3

TUE 24.06.2003 Rest day

TUE 24.06.2003 Rest day
    Semi-finals
    THU 26.06.2003 13 Lyon 18.00 hrs Winner B vs Runner-up A
    14 Paris 21.00 hrs Winner A vs Runner-up B

TUE 24.06.2003 Rest day

Play-off for 3rd Place
    SAT 28.06.2003 15 St Etienne 18.00 hrs Loser 13 vs Loser 14

Final
    SUN 29.06.2003 16 Paris 21.00 hrs Winner 13 vs Winner 14

Kick-off times subject to change

http://www.fifa.com/Service/MR_M/45958_E.html

9. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cool
    Will any of these games be televised?

10. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds & looks like a VERY competitive field, with Turkey in the mix.

My ONLY hope is that ALL participants take the tournament, seriously (I know, wishful thinking), and bring their "A" squads.

Whatever happens with the other countries, I'm sure the US will bring their "top" team, with the Confed Cup being OUR only major tournament before WCQ for 2006 begins.

The only question, as far as the USMNT goes, is how many MLS players will be in the mix, considering the tournamnet will be played in the middle of the 2003 season?!

Considering the competition of the field, this would be a GREAT barometer of how far we've come & how much farther we have to go as a soccer nation!!

11. I though Turkey was the second-best team in KJ. Realistically I would rank them in the top five in the world for sure. They have great team chemistry, although their defense is a little shaky. They go forward as well as any team out there, and have a talented group of finishers. Sould be an interesting tourney.