Final Piece to the Confed Cup Puzzle: Turkey

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Atouk, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fifa.com/Service/MR_M/45185_E.html

Turkey will join the US, France, Brazil, Colombia, Cameroon, Japan, and New Zealand in the 2003 Confederations Cup, being contested from June 18th-29th, 2003, in France.

Presuming they'll split up teams from the same confederation (they did last time with Canada/Mexico and South Korea/Japan), the US would seem likely to play one from France/Turkey, one from Brazil/Colombia, and one from Cameroon/Japan/New Zealand in the group round.

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    whew, how about this.

france
    brazil
    cameroon
    usa

hello group of death in the confed cup :D

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I presume France and Brazil will be kept apart as well.

Bearing that in mind, perhaps the USA's draw will end up with Brazil, Turkey and New Zealand. Just my two cents...

Cheers,
    William

4. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    Finally ...

Yes !!!

I knew we (Turkey) were going to have one more shot against Brazil!

You know what they say ... third time's a charm ...

;-)

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    since Qualifiying for WC 06 will start about 6 months after that Teams will probably bringing in their best young players who they think can help them in qualifying. Pretty much making it the toughest U-25 tournament in the world. Remember, World Cup Champion Brazil does not get a free pass and must qualify.

6. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Turkey is a quality opponent and should make the competition stronger. They're one of the few teams to start off Euro2004 qualifying impressively.

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Solid choice. Regardless of who the US gets grouped against, it's gonna be a tough and exciting tournament (if they bring their "A" teams...)

The groups I'd like to see?

USA
    Turkey
    Brazil
    Japan

France
    Colombia
    Cameroon
    New Zealand

8. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Brazil vs Turkey... again
    Japan vs Turkey... again
    we had that in WC02

9. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I could care less about whether they played each other. I'm more interested in the US matches. And 3 matches again Brazil, Turkey and Japan would be 3 tough matches. That being said, as long as we dont get drawn with New Zealand I'll be satisfied

10. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? you do want to have a chance at the knockout round don't you?

11. beejoo

beejoo New Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    Re: Re: Final Piece to the Confed Cup Puzzle: Turkey

I'd like to see to see the US in the group of death and in the knockout round. :)

12. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I wouldn't expect us to bring our A team, and I don't expect the other countries to either. Arena's already said that this tournament will be used to look at players, and that winning isn't important. Making the knockout rounds would be nice, but just so that we can get extra games in and see more players and combinations.

Then again, he said the same about the last Gold Cup, and we ended up winning it.

13. beejoo

beejoo New Member

Mar 10, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    Does the Confed Cup have FIFA prize money, tv money or any monetary incentive for the Federations, teams or players involved?

14. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Re: Finally ...

of course there is also: "three strikes and yer out"

15. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    Re: Re: Finally ...

The day will come ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Uh, Brazil and France are SLIGHTLY better than Cuba and EL Salvador

18. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    2.25 mil???? screw that,,,lets put an all-mls team out there

19. revfan11

revfan11 Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Confed. Cup against Gold Cup

Any of you all have an opinion on the quality of the squad we'll put out there compared to what we put on in the Gold Cup?

20. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    If this is true--and it probably is--that means that there are only six possible draws:

Possibility #1
    A-France, Columbia, Japan, New Zealand
    B-Brazil, Turkey, USA, Cameroon

Possibility #2
    A-France, Columbia, Cameroon, Japan
    B-Brazil, Turkey, USA, New Zealand

Possibility #3
    A-France, Columbia, Cameroon, New Zealand
    B-Brazil, Turkey, USA, Japan

Possibility #4
    A-France, Columbia, USA, Cameroon
    B-Brazil, Turkey, Japan, New Zealand

Possibility #5
    A-France, Columbia, USA, Japan
    B-Brazil, Turkey, Cameroon, New Zealand

Possibility #6
    A-France, Columbia, USA, New Zealand
    B-Brazil, Turkey, Cameroon, Japan

I wonder if Arena will focus more on European based players for the Confed Cup, so others don't have to take time off from MLS.

Man, would it ever be sweet to beat France in France.

21. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I must be missing something major here. Surely you're not saying that New Freakin' ZEALAND is going to knock us out of this thing. Perhaps you're worried this (USA vs. Kiwis) won't be an interesting match?

It's after 2 am here. Maybe I'm just missing something.

22. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    Re: Confed. Cup against Gold Cup

It can't help but be better, I'd say. Start with the assumption that all of the players who were available for Gold Cup (MLS + "bench" Euros) will also be available--then add, say, JOB, Stewart, and Sanneh--and you've got an upgraded squad. The biggest unknowns are: will Reyna be persuaded to play this tournament (he's talked about taking two years off from international play) and will we see any of the uncapped (or lightly capped) Euros (like Conner Casey).

23. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    that would rule.

Just for the curious, there are 20 different combinations if confederations aren't kept separate and only Brazil and France are. (35 if no one is kept separate)

If I remember my statistics, though that was 10 years ago.

24. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    FIFA Hates Random Draws

The draw is supposed to be random but I think it will be rigged. The FIFA web page is crowing about a Brazil-Turkey rematch. How can that be if it is random? Possibility 3 is most likely.
    France does not want to play the US. Losing to the US at home would be a humiliation even greater than California wine. The U.S. will probably be "drawn" "randomly" (sorry if I can't stop laughing) against Japan, while France gets Cameroun.
    France beating Cameroun would avenge in small part the loss to Senegal and would draw well, with all the Africans living in France.
    Meanwhile 20,000 Japanese live in Paris and perhaps 100,000 Japanese tourists would be in France during the month of June. Japan is itching for revenge for the U.S. defeat in the quarter-finals of the Olympic games in Sydney. The U.S. buried the replay at 7 A.M. Pacific Time on a Saturday morning, so most Americans didn't get a chance to see one of the most thrilling events at the Olympics.
    The replay of the Japane keeper, bleeding from the nose but fighting like a samurai, has been shown endlessly on Japanese TV. We saw more interviews of the gymnasts and synchronized swimming, plus lots of Up Close and Personal stuff.
    Australians, who cheered for Norway against the USWNT and despised the Dream Team, went wild for the USMNT in that historic game. The crowd support in Adelaide may have made a difference as the two most powerful nations in the world went at it on the soccer pitch.
    Just My Opinions

25. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Re: FIFA Hates Random Draws

I know how some people feel about you Thomas, but your posts to me though a bit out there sometimes, are exactly the type of X-Files thing that BS needs. Keep it up!

ps. I'm not being facetious.