FINAL - GER : ARG - RIZZOLI (ITA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 11, 2014.

1. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    It will also likely make our officiating more difficult. "That wasn't a yellow in the WC, ref!" "Not a red in the Cup! " etc.

Dayton Ref, Alberto and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If a Dutch keeper makes the same challenge as Neuer, he gets sent off with a straight RC because of our 2010 rep!:eek:

3. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Calling a foul of Higuain was another gross mistake on top
    As that is unthinkable on an international ref, I have to think that he knew the play was not normal and looked for a way not to call a penalty and oust the keeper. He had not the guts

4. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Neuer arrived on a collision course with Higuain, I'd agree IF and ONLY IF his knee was down. He had and enormous physical advantage over Higuain who had to look for the ball to arrive on his own head while Neuer was much much higher in the air and had leaped way over Higuain. This was by no means an equal opportunity collision and with Neuer bringing a lethal weapon to the party (and actually use it), it was overkill. All IMHO, of course, but so obvious it is amazing to read all the opinions to the contrary.

5. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    To accept that plays as no fouls is likely to get players killed
    Horrible precedent

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that would be Krul.

SccrDon, JasonMa, Dyvel and 6 others repped this.
  7. eric

eric Member

Apr 15, 1999
    cleveland, oh, usa
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    watching in real time at a bar i thought no call on the gonzo-neuer challenge. after replay i don't know how that wasn't some form of card., even in this WC.

8. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Higuain looks like he is drooling on Neuer's knee. Send off for spitting.

ZipSix, tog, socal lurker and 9 others repped this.
  9. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    In your world perhaps, but not for most everyone else. Yes, it wasn't a foul on the attacker, but it sure as heck wasn't a foul on the keeper either. 50/50 ball, the attacker lost the chase and the fact that both players were running at full speed, converging on the ball meant there was going to be a collision. The German keeper just happened to be bigger and reach the spot first.

10. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There's a rule in the FIFA book that says a German goalkeeper can flatten anyone and get away with it.

and then there's this
    [​IMG]

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So Higuain takes no responsibility for his run when he knew damn well that Neuer was going after the ball as well? He looked over to see where Neuer was and took the risk that he might beat him to the ball. You have two people chasing the same object and the law of physics dictates that they are likely to collide. It happens. Not every contact is a foul. Nor if one player gets it worse than the other does means it is a foul. As for the knee being up, make that run and show us how it is natural for the knee not to be so. One does not referee on a Kodak moment.

Erocker, soccerman771 and mudhen repped this.
  12. mudhen

mudhen Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Still, it WAS a scary challenge, and nobody wants to see a player get hurt.

Venture5 repped this.
  13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #188 Alberto, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Go watch the replay. Higuain has established position. Neuer flies in and only reaches the ball first because he is jumping and has extended his arms to punch the ball away. Both players have an equal right to play the ball. However, Neuer has to go through Higuain to get the ball. I liken it the the cry for I got ball when in the process the defender wipes out the attacker. That is exactly what happens here and the keeper has no special FIFA dispensation that allows him to foul an opponent while making a play for the ball.

For those applauding Rizzoli I thought he was inconsistent. He allowed persistent infringement look at how Schweinstagger was hacked late in the game. He missed calls too.

tog, jeffmefun, Justin Z and 2 others repped this.
  14. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Only for a handling calls does intent matter according to the lotg.

15. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Surely NOT need for a knee up, nor it is "natural" as you pretend
    Also he sees he is going towards Higuain and practically aims to his head

16. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    That play really does stand out. I wonder if the play had happened outside the penalty area if the decision would have been different. I think he didn't want to have to give a PK. But we all know that goalkeepers get away with murder everywhere in the world. I've never understood why, really.

17. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Rizzoli missed two stone-cold second yellows in extra time (Aguero and Mascheran). He saw both of them happen. They were both clear, clear cautions if you're using the LOTG as your guidelines. He didn't give a caution to either player. I don't really know how you can call it a good performance - he saw something, considered the laws, and decided, "no, I don't think I'll apply those laws to what I'm going to do here." How can that be called good refereeing?

However, I thought other than the poor decision on the Neuer-Higuain clash, he was pretty good up until about the 110th minute.

18. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    And getting first to the ball is irrelevant as in all fouls when you hit an adversary
    ENORMOUS PENALTY

19. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he bite it? Maybe a four month ban is more appropriate

Justin Z repped this.
  20. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    That one poor decision was HUGE and game changing
    Unforgivable

21. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    At this level, easy enough to have a 5th official (medical) with the 4th. He is in charge of examining any player with head injury and determines if said player can continue. Team free to sub for player (takes 7-10 minutes to properly determine extent of head injury) and does not count against 3. If player can't continue, sub stays on with no sub counted. If player is cleared, he exchanges places with his 'replacement'.

Concussions/Head Injuries are very different than other injuries. One time, a player will stay on too long and get seriously (long term) injured or killed.

tog repped this.
  22. Changocardenas

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    If that is going to be allowed, expect forward deaths
    The knee is a murdering weapon

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So you jump off of both feet from a run? It is not pretending. It is reality. The jump comes off of one leg and naturally the other leg will be extended with knee bent. I'm not sure how one aims for another's head when clearly his focus was on the ball, which he reached.

24. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yup. No worries though, Barcelona will still sign him.

Justin Z and Guinho repped this.
  25. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Then you need to watch again.

He gave a very spot-on description of the actual action.