Final FIFA 2004 opinions..

Discussion in 'Games' started by red&black1, Nov 11, 2003.

1. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    My Wigan team are now 18 points clear at the top of the Premiership after 16 games, after last season they won the First Division by 1 point. My usual line-up...

Gregory Coupet
    Glen Johnson-Gareth Southgate-Kakha Kaladze
    Hasan Salihamidzic-Markus Feulner-Ludovic Giuly
    Kaka-Alessio Tacchinardi
    Didier Drogba-Diego Klimowicz
    Subs:
    Nathan Ellington
    Jesper Gronkjaer
    Didier Agathe
    Andrew Liddell
    Jason Jarret

And I started in the First Division with a budget of just 5 million. When the transfer window re-opens, I'm going to bring in Gianluigi Buffon!!

2. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    west ham after winning the first division is now mid table in the premier league 8 games into the season.

mathis-defoe
    beasely-martino-r.clarkk-C.Ronaldo (for 3mill lol)
    neville-keown-repka-kim tae yeoung

has anyone noticed how good alan shearer is in this game? nobody can push him around on set peices. he is really stacked.

i know he is good in real life but man.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Someone mentioned formations... well, I recently played against a friend of mine who is a Fifa junkie but a real player (so he understands the game). We played a few games of WE6 on 3 star difficulty and I beat Argentina with Belgium, England with Ireland by 3 clear goals each time... he said ok, lets step up the difficulty and we played at 5 star... we chose even teams and he played a 4-5-1... and he held all his players back on defence for most of the match, and we played to 3 or 4 draws which were eventually decided in PK's I dare anyone to say that they have ever played for a draw in a Fifa game...

Another thing, with the difficulty on the highest even with a stellar team for someone who is good at this game (which I am) the hard difficulty setting is really challenging, I just won the league on goal difference (5 goals better) and it is really hard to win the league and champs league and the scoring title with a player, because u have to play him all the time instead of rest him, or be greedy and try to make him score... This is not the same in FIFA after renting it I scored damn near all of my goals with Raul and decided to return the game early...

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats easy, i've played my friends to several draws.

Look, if you want a real life soccer experience, get your ass on a field somewhere and play.

That's what I do.

When I want to play my friends and pound them all with Manchester United (with all the actual players) I play fifa.

My biggest complaint about the game is that it's hard (if not impossible) to dribble past people.

other than that I find the game very challenging.

But maybe i'm just not the twothumbed wonder that you are.

5. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I don't get about all the pro-Konami/FIFA bashers; of course it's not going to be totally realistic, that's why it's a video game.

6. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    So let me get this straight, all you EA aplogists who get suckered into loving this game and therefore give EA absolutely no incentive to improve do so because of the great crowd chants, and league licenses and player names, etc., but the minute someone says that the gameplay is not realistic you say it's only a game and shouldn't be realistic?!?! So you're saying that a soccer (or any sports game) should have all the real unifroms and players. It should give you real stadiums and genuine crowd chants, but the actual gameplay doesn't matter?!?! Maybe it's me, but people who think like this have got to be the stupidest people on the planet!

Look, nobody says it should be equal to the real thing (and believe me, WE6 also has a few gameplay problems). The gameplay problems with FIFA go beyond just "this is a video game and not the real thing" issues. Not being able to beat any defender with any attacker 1 v1 ever, scoring most of your goals from 20-25 yards out with almost any player because GK AI sucks from far away but becomes unbeatable in the box, taking the ball away with the shot button on D and your defender slows down to a crawl or bangs the ball out of bounds every time, these are things that are hard to overlook. Are you so completely ignorant that you don't see these things? And no, not being able to beat a defender off the dribble doesn't make the game better because it's more challenging, it makes it less fun to play and less worthy of the soccer licenses it so proudly displays everywhere! Any deficiencies in gameplay that leave you scratching your head while you're playing whether its a FPS, sports game or platformer are serious detriments to that particlular game. You get pissed because other people aren't foolish and shallow enough as you and your ilk to get duped by eye-candy!!

7. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    hey I love WE7, it's by far my favorite soccer game but this years FIFA is the first one in my opinion to play like real football. Yeah it has some problems but it's not the crap game that it used to be.

I give WE7 an "A"
    and I give FIFA2004 a "B" or "B-"

they need to slow down the ball a tad bit and they need to add a few more things but FIFA is getting closer.

8. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How is the 'arcade style' playing on the game? Like, if me and my roommates, some of whom don't have tons of experience with soccer games, hook up the multitap and play this will it be too frustating?

9. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    It will be frustrating because most non-soccer guys don't like to pass the ball (they don't have the vision and understanding of the build-up the way soccer fanaticos do). In this game they will get nowhere if they try to dribble. You literally cannot beat a computer controlled defender off the dribble in this game. I've gotten pretty good and score at least 4 goals every game (on PRO level) and even if I play Real Madrid vs. the scrubbiest team in English D3, Ronaldo, Raul, Zidane, Figo are impotent with the dribble. They can pass the hell out of the ball and they can regularly score from thirty yard out with quick, turnaround shots, but dribble? NO WAY!

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonno, you Rented FIFA 04 for Xbox or PS2?

11. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    They shouldn't have done away with all of the tournaments and custom tournaments. Those gave you incentive to keep playing the game. I felt the Club Champsionship was pretty cool, why didnt they keep that as an option?

It was way too easy to score from outside the box. There is no reason why it should be easier to score goals with Alessio Tacchinardi than Trezeguet. And Igor Tudor should not have 20 goals off corner kicks either.

The Off The Ball control is nice, and does help with crosses and the like, but it seems much harder now to just do the basic through ball while you send someone on a run. That seemed much easier in FIFA 2003 and 2002.

I think the atmosphere recreation has gone down a bit. Surely, Celtic has more chants than "dum dum, dum-dum-dum, dum dum dum dum CEL-TIC!". But youd never know it from this game. And maybe I havent just played it enough, but it seems they did away with individual player chants. Again, why?

Most goals look real bad. Most are real close to the goalie and he just kinda flails himself straight backward and the ball goes past him. Its pretty funny when you watch in on the replay.

You have to love it when the computer has FC Twente making it to the Champions Leage semifinals in the second and third year of Career Mode.

Oh and the nets dont bulge enough when a goal is scored. : )

12. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

that's why i couldn't score from 10 yards away from the keeper...

13. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Did WE7 fix the stupid offside bug that cost me at least 500 goals?

14. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    when the he;; is the transfer windows?!?!?! I need t get more players for my Rushden club...all my players are too damn tired!!!!!

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    what bug???

I loved how sometimes defenders would raise their hand for offside and be wrong... they periodically stop playing and teams have scored on me like that, but i loved it... i was so pissed.. i felt like a real manager... play until the bloody whistle

16. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i have the american version.

When a player takes a shot, even if a friendly player is in the offside position, they won't call offsides. However, once goalkeeper stops it, and the player in the offside position runs in and puts the ball in, they call offsides.

Either they strictly and literally call all offsides (which i advise against), or once the ref ignores an offside, ignore it for good. As soon as the goalkeeper punches the ball, offside rule should become null.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well... don't jump to conclusions there buddy...
    If I pay money for a game I want the best that I can have so for me to say I prefer ultra realistic games is my perogotive...

Also... I am the starting GK for Lincoln University's Mens Soccer Team... Div. 3 Eastern Conference Champions 2 years running...

And about the draw thing, i was not saying that you cannot get a 0-0 draw in FIFA although its damn near impossible.... is that my buddy because i am better at the game than him can play a defensive formaiton and hold everyone back and literally play for a 0-0 draw cuz if you never attack its likely that even a better player with a strong team cannot score... that is the point i was making...

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually an improvement in the game and if you know anything about the actual laws of the game, this is how offside is actually supposed to be called. In otherwords, that EA was able to penalize an offside position only when the player became involved with the play is pretty smart programming IMO.

19. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    yes, the actual rules in soccer are suppose to call offsides for shots as well as passes. The offside is called before the receiver even touches the ball.

however, winning eleven does not call offsides on shots even if another player is in an offisde position. Therefore, as soon as the goalkeeper punches the ball out, offside rule should not be applied because it does not apply when the other team is the last one to touch the ball. When you look at the replay (and the yellow line), you can tell that the CPU called offside when the player scored, NOT when the first shooter had taken the shot.

it seems that i am the one who actually knows more about the "actual laws of the game" and caught the inconsistencies.

20. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    where can I get the demo for PES3?...thanks a lot.

21. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not true. A player in an offside position on a shot gains an advantage when he receives the ball after it deflects off the goalkeeper and is called offside when he touches the ball. The offside would only reset if the keeper caught the ball and then played it right to the attacker. Fifa actually put out a new circular that clarifies this.

Offside position only is judged when the ball is played. Offside is not called until the player gains and advantage from that position, becomes actively involved in play, or interferes with play. I'm currently a referee and I'm very impressed that EA was able to get this right.

22. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

if you're a referee, i guess you're right.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    In the Americas club championship You can replace any team with any other team so it becomes a custom tournament with 16 teams. I'm in my second Season with Crystal Palace. This is a trial career so I've been playing it at semi-pro so needless to say I went 30-8-4 in the league scoring 90 goals while conceding 28, made the semis of the FA cup and won the league cup(beating Arsenal and Boro in the process) and I qualified for Europe. I bought Anthony Le Tellac at the beggining of the season and he scored 20 goals from midfield. I bought Andres D'Allesandro mid-season and he scored 13 from midfield. One of my starting strikers scored 27 and the other only 9 while two frequently used subs scored 12 each. At the begining of my second season I bought Taylor Twellman(greatly undervalued because he is listed as a CB instead of CF), DMB, Jesper Gronkjaer and Wayne Bridge from Chelsea, Maxwell from Ajax, and Ricardo Clark.

24. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i'll give my final fifa 2004 opinion. since many pathetic fifa fanboys hate the game to be compared with we, all i have to say about fifa 2004 is this: fifa is an absolute garbage. it's the game for know-nothing, the game should die along with those who work for filthy disgusting sick company called ea. to fifa fanboys, i'm just sharing my opinion, you can still throw away your money for ea. it's not my money after all

25. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My opinion:

PROS: Much improved gameplay. Now it actually feels somewhat like a real game.

CONS: No freaking champions league???? No National Team tournament??? Did those dumbasses forget? No creation center again??? WTF is wrong with EA Sports.