Final Analysis: NED-ESP - Webb (ENG) - Part I

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All pre-match discussion of the appointment, play-by-play descriptions and post-match analysis of the officiating performance for this match belong in this thread.

Analysis threads in this forum are strictly moderated. Supporters of participating teams are welcome and encouraged to participate. But all posters should take non-analytical posts to the group or rivalries forums. Thank you.

World Cup Final
    Sunday, 11 July 2010
    Netherlands v. Spain
    Referee: Howard Webb (ENG)
    Assistant Referee 1: Darren Cann (ENG)
    Assistant Referee 2: Mike Mullarkey (ENG)
    Fourth Official: Yuichi Nishimura (JPN)
    Reserve Assistant:

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Final Analysis: NED-ESP - Webb (ENG)

I'm shocked. Pleasantly shocked, yet still shocked.

3. Welpe

Welpe New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a casual observer, and not knowing FIFAs assigning process, I would've thought that the crew would not have been European. When was this announced?

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Congrats to Webb. Feel a bit bad for Archundia.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know why people keep saying this. I think every match involving two UEFA teams have been officiated by a UEFA ref this Cup.

6. Welpe

Welpe New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's just my thought. I have not been following the Cup closely enough to have known that.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was wrong. Every group stage match was done by a European but some South American's did two-All UEFA affairs in the round of 16.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jumping the gun a little bit... does Webb retire from the EPL after this?

WC Final. UCL Final. FA Cup Final.

The man has absolutely nothing left to prove, save for a EURO 12 Final. But I would think that England would want to back Atkinson for that in order to get him to WC14.

The only argument I could see against it is that Webb would want to enjoy several years as being thought of as "the world's best."

9. Welpe

Welpe New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is something to be said for going out on a high note though. Good question.

10. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA

Maybe, but Webb is only 38 years old! He's still eligible for the next WC, and Atkinson is the same age as him, so I don't see the benefit of pushing Atkinson for the next WC cycle. Then again, Webb may want to return to his "day job" as a police officer, from which he is currently on sabbatical. I think that it makes more sense for the FA to push Clattenburg for the next WC, as he is only 35, but that will depend of whether Clattenburg joins the elite list in UEFA soon.

11. Spaceball

Spaceball Member

Jun 15, 2004

Why would England not back both? There are rumors that Webb has wanted to retire from refereeing. However, if he decides to hang on, it seems like England is in a great position to have two referees at the next Cup. How could you not invite back Webb after awarding him the final (barring a disaster tomorrow). He would be as close to a lock as there has ever been for returning. Then, England could push Atkinson in to the tougher matches over the next 4 years and have him selected on his merits. I would think if Webb retires that Atkinson would nearly be a lock for 2014 so why would Webb retiring change that much (assuming politics can be overcome)?

Personally, I think Webb will hang it up, but if not, has anyone ever returned to a WC after doing the final?

12. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Oh wow. Wasn't expecting this, but what an international year for Webb. UCL and WC Finals. Don't think that he'll retire though, seeing he's not always considered the best int he EPL, I think that he'll want to improve his mark there.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless I'm mistaken, UEFA hasn't allowed two referees from the same country to attend a EURO since they went to the current system after 1996. And for Atkinson or any other English referee to have a prayer at WC14, I would tend to think they need to be at a major tournament first. Webb going to Poland/Ukraine would suck up oxygen for other English officials.

Agree with this, though the two referees might be Atkinson and Clattenburg if Webb retires and UEFA allows two officials to be nominated from one country.

Agree with this, but I also think partially you answer the question with your question below...

It all depends on how they revamp the selection/nomination system. This time no UEFA federation nominated more than one referee. That seemed to be a UEFA decision, as New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Mexico all got to nominate two.

The last one appears to be Rudi Glockner, of East Germany. He did the 1970 Final and then returned in 1974. He did a couple matches, including a second group stage match.

But in recent history, it hasn't been done. Of course, I believe Webb is the first World Cup Finals referee to be age-eligible to return since the mandatory retirement age was introduced. So it's a new frontier.

14. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really enjoyed all of the analysis on the other "Final" thread about who might be the most likely candidate for this honor. but, for me, it was a toss-up between Busacca and Webb. It's really just personal preference as far as style and personality (as much as can be perceived as an observer). When I heard Busacca was eliminated, my heart sunk a little, but my gut stayed with Webb.:)

I watched both of their UCL finals and was very impressed with the way they each handled themselves in a big match. I really think he is a better fit for international matches than for the EPL anyway. I don't have any facts to back that up. It's just an opinion.

All of the other candidates are great referees as well, but IMO, Webb and his team have an undefinable quality that made FIFA find them to be the best candidates.

15. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA

Nothing left to prove for sure, but would seem he could work EPL and still keep his day job as a policeman...if he wanted to keep refereeing.

I'm shocked that Webb got the game, after seeing Archundia kept around without working any knockout round games. Both of them are deserving of the final. World-class referees to be sure. Personally, I have a much more comfortable feeling with either of them in charge of a match vs. some of the other folks as Kassai, Irmatov, Nishimura, etc.

16. Dpetzz

Dpetzz New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Winnipeg

FIFA simply went with a european referee because of the teams in the final.

17. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH

Didn't Webb do Spain earlier in the tournament? I would have thought that would have taken him off the list?

18. Spaceball

Spaceball Member

Jun 15, 2004

I think that's the key. I think these were the two for the last two matches regardless and it simply came down to Tuesday's SF. Archundia was going with Uruguay and Webb with the Dutch. The Netherlands won and with them in to the Final came Webb. Uruguay falls to 3/4 match and Archundia slides with them. This is to allow the policy of no UEFA referees on matches when only one UEFA team is playing.

19. Dpetzz

Dpetzz New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Winnipeg

Webb may retire....considering Rosetti who did the Euro 2008 final just retired and he was only 42 and could have done euro 2012...once they do a final...most don't have the drive anymore.

20. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So what kind of match is Webb likely to see? Spain hasn't had a YC all tourney, and vBommell should have had a dozen by now. :)

Unlike Ger/Spain, these two sides haven't played in what, 3 years? - so they don't exactly know one another and play different styles. Both ingredients (in my mind) for a more cynical match, particularly when you throw in Robben's incessant theatrics.

Will be interesting to see how Webb handles it.

21. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Congrats Webby!

Now that's out of the way, how many of the players out there on Sunday has he seen in the past 12 months? Both at home and in Europe?

Someone with more time on their hands than I have can probably research this.

22. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007

Surely Webb can make a lot more money as a top flight referee than as a police officer, right? So why would he retire when he should have at least 4 more years of excellent earning potential? Rosetti seems to have gotten a plumb job with the Italian FA, but I don't think Webb would be given the same opportunity in England.

23. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Told You so.

24. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007

If I am Webb, I semi-retire after this and take a quarterfinal game in every tournament for the next 7 years.

If I am the EPL, I don't let him anywhere near a bobby helmet. They are tight for good refs in that league, and now he will be the older statesman. The players have always respected him, even if he dows make as many mistakes as anyone else.

(And no way Clattenberg is next in line in my book. If age were irrelevant, Andre Marriner is way better referee than Clatts.)

25. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008

Now......since he can't suffer in future assignments because there is no better assignment than this, does he officate this along the lines of an EPL match, or the different style of an International Match. My gut tells me that he will be allowing the players to decide the match, and will attempt to stay out of the way as best as he knows how. I hope that doesn't backfire on him if Spain goes ahear early. If the Dutch find themselves being dominated or down early, they may resort to more cynical play.