Filipinas Rising (The Philippines Women's Football Thread)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dernhelm, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Sara Bantan Eggesvik is a 23 year old Norwegian-Filipina currently playing for KIL Hemne in the Norwegian second league. She played for Charlton Athletic last year, but returned to Norway to study in Trondheim. I remember her as a good midfielder when she played in Toppserien for Grand Bodø a few years ago, and her performances there eventually lead to her transfer to England. I have no clue whether she would ever like to feature for the Philippine national team though (or if she is considered by the Philippine FF), but on her instagram she has posted pictures of herself from Manila and Davao City, so at least she has some connection to the country besides ancestry. I might keep you posted on the further development of her career if you're interested.

[​IMG]

Pelefan, datschge, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  2. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well, it would be a bigger help if we could establish contact with her. :) What's her IG?

3. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Dernhelm repped this.
  4. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
  5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Not the senior national team, but she has a couple of matches for U19 back in January 2016. I don't think that will stop her from playing for the Philippines if that's what she wants.

Dernhelm repped this.
  6. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    We shall see! I'm trying to coax out that desire if there's any :) I'd rather she realize she wants to rather than us wanting and making it look like we're forcing her hehe.

Bauser repped this.
  7. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Btw @Bauser how did you know she's also Filipino? We're interviewing her later :) If you have any questions you'd like to be asked, let me know :)

8. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I tend to sift through all information I come over about Norwegian Toppserien clubs, and Eggesvik stood out when she played for a rather weak Grand Bodø team a few years ago. The way she carried herself on the field, she looked destined to play for a better team. She is a strong runner with the ball and has good passing skills, but I didn't expect her transfer to Charlton. That made headlines in local media and articles about her were published. I think it was around that time I became aware of her Filipino roots.

Well, I just wonder what her plans are for the future football wise. The season here is over now. Will she stay in KIL Hemne? If you're going to publish the interview online somewhere, please post a link to it. :)

sbahnhof and Dernhelm repped this.
  9. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    @Bauser Are you in Norway or in Trondheim? (Gosh gotta start getting used to the Norwegian language) I actually explained to her how i knew about her and told about you! Maybe someday i can arrange for you two to meet :D Sure will most definitely do, there are two outlets who will use the interview. I think my colleague will beat me to an article first haha. I'll post either as soon as they are up :)

PS: I asked her about playing for the Philippines and it seems she's very interested :)

10. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Yeah, I'm from Norway, but I live far from Trondheim. Looking forward to read the interview. :thumbsup:

sbahnhof and Dernhelm repped this.
  11. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Pelefan, JanBalk, Bauser and 3 others repped this.
  12. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    sbahnhof, blissett and Bauser repped this.
  13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Thanks for the link! It would be cool if she was selected. :) Keep us updated on upcoming fixtures. It will be fun to follow this team in the qualifiers regardless if Eggesvik is in the squad or not.

Dernhelm repped this.
  14. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Thank you!! It really is up to her, if she does not have a Philippine passport yet she really has to work for it :)

15. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Didn't the Philippines women's team have a load of FilAm girls on the roster at one point? My daughter was training with them back in 2014, and suddenly they all left, including their stateside scouts.

16. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Not sure if you mean 2013 or 2018 Women's Asian Cup but yes it's true. Normal i guess when the management or the approach changes.

In any case, i wrote this article just now:
    https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/path-to-fifa-womens-world-cup-opens-up-for-pwnft/199030

KAPIJXM, sbahnhof and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  17. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yes, I had my year wrong. It was 2013, when they held a camp in Southern California. Seemed to have real solid players and organization. But later many of the FilAm college players complained about foriegn bias during camp in the Philippines, even though far more skilled than most of the home grown players. Hope the management will clean things up.

18. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I think the current strategy is to make sure there is room for the homegrown talent to grow and develop by getting the international exposure too. Also makes sense to work with the local talent because they are together more or in the same place more than players brought over from overseas, the team chemistry would be easier to build that way. There have been some foreign based players who moved into the country, that's good too and something the federation welcomes very much.

sbahnhof and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  19. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Hey @Bauser you might want to see this :)

I was really surprised they included Sara here, almost like they're teasing her to come on over and really join the team :p

But it would be really nice if she did! We have another great midfielder, an attacking mid, would be nice to partner with her. What's funny is that she is also named Sara (Castañeda) and should be fun watching them work together hehe.

sbahnhof and Bauser repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #220 blissett, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
    It's quite some month that this thread doesn't get any updates; since, I've got some news from Italy, I guess it's worth resuming it to talk about one of the historical "big names" of Filipino NT: Eva Madarang. Some months ago, she had been signed by Roma Calcio Femminile, in Italian Serie B (2nd Division). Please, note that it's a different club from Roma Woman, that's the club affiliated with the men's team that plays in 1st Division, just ending at 5th place and going to play the final of Coppa Italia vs Milan; this one, instead, it's the more historical indipendent women's club.

[​IMG]

This season wasn't an easy one for Roma Calcio Femminile and they needed a difficult away win at the last match-day to avoid being relegated to Serie C (3rd Division).

Well, Roma Calcio Femminile managed to win 0-4 in Cesena and Madarang was one of the scorers. It was her only goal this season, but she made it count. :)

[​IMG]

Dernhelm, KAPIJXM and datschge repped this.
  21. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yes! We posted about her goal of course hehe

And i wrote about the recruitment etc :) So Sorry i often forget to share here :cry:

But thank you for sharing and doing the work for me @blissett !! :x3:

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You are forgiven! :p

By the way, in that article you mention Cathrine Graversen, who had been signed by Pomigliano (and, this time, you had remembered to post about her signing here also! :giggle:). Now, Pomigliano has just been promoted to Serie A (1st Division) at the end of this season, but I couldn't find trace of Gravesen in Pomigliano's line-ups from their last games: did she leave the club during the season? :cautious:

sbahnhof repped this.
  23. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    She did :confused: i wrote about her too ehe
    She was unhappy at the club i think, i wish i could have gotten her to stay but seemed she already made up her mind.

blissett repped this.
  24. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    JanBalk, Lechus7, sbahnhof and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    blissett and Lechus7 repped this.