Filipinas Rising (The Philippines Women's Football Thread)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dernhelm, Apr 22, 2017.

1. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    Like a personal issue with the team or they just cut her or she quit? The team had a bad tourney or she had a bad individual one?

2. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I don't think she appreciated the coaching/management and had very strong opinions against it which eventually translated to the federation no longer calling her back.

3. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    oh wow this is intwresting. Do you have any links that I can read? I tried finding but coudlnt see anything... at least in english

4. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    It was kind of kept under wraps :\ The management she questioned soon turned out to be successful in the sense that it led to the Philippines' qualification for the Women's Asian Cup. Personally i think it was a case of their team at the time being made a guinea pig that she could not tolerate anymore. It wasn't just her though, casualties from the complaints or mini unrest were a couple of other veterans too. Then again some say that they were simply unhappy at the fewer minutes they got on the field during the tournament.

sbahnhof repped this.
  5. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    Man if you have any specifics I would love, love to hear it. Locker room dynamics or behind the scenes relationships are always interesting to hear about.

Heather Cooke was an amazing competitor. She demonstrated her mental toughness on her mtv show by carrying her partner to the finals (Cara, who is quite the competitor herself, so for Heather to carry her says a lot imo). So for her to not be on the team anymore because of drama is a just too bad really. Though, I guess she has a kid now (I think) so I dont know how interested she would be in coming back.

The team could probably use a few more stateside players to bring a physicality to the team like Miranda Nild does for Thailand. Hopefully thw coaches keep recruiting stateside to improve the team

6. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Thailand only has one, PWNT has plenty more. There's Hali Long (who featured in all tours last year from Women's Asian Cup to the Olympic Qualifiers down to the yearly Southeast Asian meet) and next to her Pat Tomanon, Eva Madarang, Fil-Aussie keeper Stacey Cavill who plays pro alongside Sam Kerr down under, among many others. What more do you need?

blissett repped this.
  7. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    I am not really familiar with the team as I rely on this thread to keep up from America. This is good info though!

8. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    EvanJ repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday, Eva Madarang posted

I commented congratulations for a new high of 67th in the FIFA/Coca-Cola Women's World Ranking. FIFA says it was a move up 7 spots to 67th without saying it was a new high, but Wikipedia, which wasn't edited today, said the old high was 68th. I also tweeted congratulations to her and to the PilipinasWNFT Twitter listed above.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  10. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] AFF Women's Championship 2019, Thailand - the Philippines came close to a win over Thailand, in their match in Group A.
    (Would it have been their first ever win v Thailand? The nearest I could find were the 1-0 defeats in 1999 and 2013.)

The Malditas led 1-0 and 2-1 on Wednesday night, with two goals from Quinley Quezada, taking her two big chances. But Thailand's late flurry of goals won the game 4-2, in a possible preview of the final. Full match report here:
    - https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/quezada-pwnft-put-gallant-stand-thailand-proves-much/157769 (Archived)

In the Philippines' opening games they had won 3-0 v Malaysia and 7-0 v Timor-Leste. They're currently playing their 4th and last group match, getting 2 goals in the first 6 mins against Singapore.

#5nadeshikofan, KAPIJXM and blissett repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eva Madarang posted video from an October 30 through November 13 camp the Philippines had in Japan. She filmed Cerezo Osaka's stadium. There are some English letters on signs in Japan such as "STARBUCKS COFFEE."

datschge, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  12. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    blissett repped this.
  13. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Philippines advance from the groups - again the semi-final opponent is Vietnam, tonight.

Lechus7 repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Lechus7 repped this.
  15. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    SEMIS
    Thailand 1 - Myanmar 0
    Vietnam 2 - Philippines 0

The final/gold medal match will again feature Vietnam vs. Thailand.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  16. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    THREE-PEAT! The best kind of peat

La Salle takes PFFWL three-peat
    https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/la-salle-takes-pffwl-three-peat/179371, February 19, 2020 (Archive)

[​IMG]

Player of the Year is Alisha Del Campo:

La Salle’s Alisha Del Campo named ‘Pinay Futbolera of the Year’
    tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/la-salles-alisha-del-campo-named-pinay-futbolera-year/182672 (Archive)

The "Season 81" refers to 81 years in all Philippine university sports.. it doesn't mean they decided to drag out women's football for longer than The Simpsons.

KAPIJXM, datschge and Dernhelm repped this.
  17. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Super proud of this one :inlove:

KAPIJXM, Lechus7, sbahnhof and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I forgot to add and well the edit button has already disappeared haha that the photos there are mine :p

datschge and blissett repped this.
  19. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Yeah I've noticed that lately on the Fifa site, every photo is credited to "© Others" ... as if that narrows it down so well

Dernhelm and Lechus7 repped this.
  20. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Lmao "Someone" brilliant :D

21. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Cathrine Graversen happy to turn pro with Serie B club

Filipina-Danish footballer Cathrine Graversen has signed a contract with Italian club ASD Calcio Pomigliano, an up-and-coming team in Italy’s second-highest football league Serie B.
    “It’s my first professional contract, so I’m obviously excited about it. For the first time, I get to live by playing the game that I love — football. In Denmark, they don’t offer professional contracts, even though you train almost as much

https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/cathrine-graversen-happy-turn-pro-serie-b-club/191039

JanBalk, datschge, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  22. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    @blissett now you know why i asked about the Italian league hehe. gulp, she and her team will be facing Juventus in Copa Itallia next month!

blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way, given her name and history, I suppose she has Danish father and Philippine mother, hasn't she?

24. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yes and i've met them. Very nice people :)

blissett repped this.