Filipinas Rising (The Philippines Women's Football Thread)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dernhelm, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #926 Pelefan, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Coach Staj and the PFF has started calling up invitations for the U17 team that will participate in the AFC U17 Championship First Round next month.

Ava Harrison who helped the US win the CONCACAF U 15 Championship last year was at the Philippine U17 trials last February but doesn't have a passport yet. She also decided to accept the invite of the US U16NT training camp in March after not being called up for the tour in February.

However another player who was invited to separate national teams 14 y.o. Nina Mathelus did indeed chose to accept the invite to play for the Philippine U17WNT despite being invited as well by the Haiti U15 and U17 girl's national teams. She is a tall, fast and physical forward who is a really good goalscorer and I think will be a starter for the U17NT.

Like our 17 y.o. prodigy Chayse Ying, she is eligible to play for 3 countries: Philippines, Haiti and the US.

datschge repped this.
  2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #927 Pelefan, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Nina Mathelus reminds me of a young Fil Am Ally Watt(Orlando Pride NWSL) who plays the same position at forward. Like Ally she is also a track athletes who has won gold medals in high school sprint events. Unlike Ally though she doesn't just rely on speed. She is very good at picking the upper corners of the goal both during the game and during free kicks from distance so her goal scoring repertoire is a lot more varied. She has always played at an age group higher than her actual age so even at 14 y.o. I think she will be competitive with the PWNT U17 WNT.

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #928 Pelefan, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    PWNT players Tahnai Annis and Dominique Randle started in today's Iceland fixture and led Thor/Ka to the Finals of the Lengju Cup with a 2-1 win with Tahnai scoring 2 goals in the semis and Dominique starting at centerback.

[​IMG]

Tahnai first helped lead Þór/KA to victory to the League Championship in 2012 and the UEFA Champion's League back in 2013 when she was named club MVP and it was an inspired decision on the club's part to bring her back at 33 y.o. this season as she continues to contribute to their resurgence.

4. survivorman

survivorman New Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Feb 19, 2023
    I'm hoping that Kiara will be given the start for the OQT...

I think she deserves that spot...

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Indeed. 3 straight Team of the Week listings to start the season. I am sure Coach Staj has taken note.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I allso some of theh

[​IMG]

I also on social media that one of the U20's(Isabella Pasion) were at the airport along with Chandler and Olivia McDaniel probably to provide depth in training as well as to provide easy call up as reserves although they are not part of the official listed roster.

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #932 Pelefan, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    Reina is starting her 4th straight game for Santos FC in Brazil and for the first time she is playing with a non Brazilian teammate in the starting lineup in American Jourdan Ziff who is making her debut. None of the signed Argentinian national team players even made the subs list today.

[​IMG]

8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Only one new player at the Olympic qualifier training camp, 16 y.o. U20 midfielder Isabella Pasion. Chandler McDaniel a starting forward at the Women's Asian Cup is also returning more than a year after tearing his ligaments during the tournament and undergoing ACL/MCL surgery .

https://pff.org.ph/2023/04/04/stajcic-finalizes-squad-for-afc-womens-oqt/

Bella Pasion, who represented the Philippines in the AFC Women’s Under-20 Qualifiers last month, has been included in the final 22-player roster for the first round of the AFC Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament that starts on Wednesday.

The 16-year-old midfielder is participating in her first tournament with the senior squad after playing three matches for the Under-20 side in Vientiane, Laos early last month.

Pasion scored one of the best goals of the qualifying tournament, firing an unstoppable effort from outside the box in the 2-2 draw against Hong Kong.

“Bella (Pasion) has earned her spot based on merit just like every player on this team,” said Filipinas coach Alen Stajcic.

“She’s put her hand up during the last youth camp and matches with the Under-20s and has shown that she can compete at this level. She’s done really well in the last few days of training.”

Co-captains Tahnai Annis and Hali Long spearhead the squad that also welcomed back Chandler McDaniel, who is seeing action in her first tournament since the 2022 AFC Women’s Asian Cup in India.

The Filipinas open their campaign against Pakistan at 4 p.m. (7 p.m. in the Philippines) on Wednesday at Hisor Stadium, before taking on host Tajikistan at 7 p.m. (10 p.m. in the Philippines) on Saturday. They wrap up their campaign against Hong Kong at 4 p.m. (7 p.m. in the Philippines) on April 11.

Only the top team in the group will qualify to the second round joining seeded teams Australia, Japan, China, Korea Republic and DPR Korea.

PHILIPPINES SQUAD – FIRST ROUND, AFC WOMEN’S OLYMPIC QUALIFYING TOURNAMENT

GOALKEEPERS
    Kiara Fontanilla
    Olivia McDaniel
    Inna Palacios

DEFENDERS
    Maya Alcantara
    Alicia Barker
    Reina Bonta
    Jessika Cowart
    Malea Cesar
    Sofia Harrison
    Hali Long
    Eva Madarang

MIDFIELDERS
    Tahnai Annis
    Anicka Castañeda
    Sara Eggesvik
    Bella Pasion
    Jaclyn Sawicki
    Meryll Serrano

FORWARDS
    Sarina Bolden
    Carleigh Frilles
    Katrina Guillou
    Chandler McDaniel
    Quinley Quezada

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    No Chayse Ying callup for the Olympic qualifiers unfortunately so the next window for her to play for the senior national team is the SEA Games next month.

10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #935 Pelefan, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    SEAG 2023 Draw April 5

[​IMG]

Possible Group of Death : Vietnam, Philippines, Myanmar or Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar which are the usual top 3 medallists in the previous editions of the SEAG Women's Football Tournament with only 2 making it to the playoff stage.

11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #936 Pelefan, Apr 5, 2023
    Livestream of SEAG draw

Unfortunately the PWNT got the Group of Death (Vietnam, Philippines, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia). Vietnam is the defending champion and Myanmar is a perennial medalist. That means one of Vietnam, Philippines and Myanmar will not make the semifinals and will be eliminated.

[​IMG]

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #937 Pelefan, Apr 5, 2023
    Normally I would be pretty confident on the PWNT doing well in the SEA Games but since it is scheduled outside the FIFA window many of the Philippine's starters will not be available as their clubs will most likely not release them. Fortunately most of those who are playing for Australian clubs should be available though since their season is over except for 4 teams in the A League which are in the playoffs with the Finals ending on April 30th which is also the start of the SEAG women's group stage. That means that Sawicki and possibly Beard if she commits might not be available for the first game of the SEAG.

All the European based players(Guillou, Eggesvik, Cowart, Serrano, Randle, Ahnis, Miclat) as well as our lone player in Brazil(Reina Bonta) who plays for Santos FC will most likely not be available.

In the absence of those players I anticipate a few members of the U20 team will be called up to replace them with these players the most likely: Isabella Pasion, Isabella Flanigan, Chayse Ying, Sabina Ramos, Chantelle Maniti, and Natalie Oca along with Kaya Hawkinson. We are going to be a bit thin at centerback with only Long and Alcantara remaining among our regulars so Maniti will get plenty of chances to play when facing weaker teams in the group stage. Ramos will also have some big shoes to fill replacing Ahnis and Eggesvik at attacking midfield.

The teams from Grp A in the SEAG is stronger than the one the Philippines have in the Olympic qualifiers with 3 of them ranked in the top 50 of the FIFA rankings.

13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I just want to point out that this poster has got the Philippine flag wrong as it is inverted. The red bar on top means we are at war when that is not the case. The blue bar should be on top.

14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Starting lineup

[​IMG]

First cap for 16 y.o. rookie Isabella Pasion.

Livestream

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

Goals by Hali Long, Sarina Bolden, Eva Madarang and the returning Chandler McDaniel.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It was also a promising debut by 16 y.o. Isabella Pasion as she more than held her own in midfield, keeping possession of the ball, playing solid defensively and even nearly scoring a couple of goals from distance hitting the goal cross bar twice.

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The Indonesian women's team withdrew from women's football at the 2023 SEA Games just hours after the draw.
    Thus, Group A of women's football has 4 remaining teams: Vietnam [​IMG] Philippines [​IMG], Myanmar[​IMG] and Malaysia [​IMG].

18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Highlights

Klingo3034 and Lechus7 repped this.
  19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Southeast Asian Games Women's Football Schedule

[​IMG]

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The Philippines hope to sustain their winning ways in the first round of AFC Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament on Saturday when they clash with host Tajikistan on Matchday 2 in Group E.

Having waylaid Pakistan, 4-0, last Wednesday, the Filipinas hunt for their second win in as many matches against the hosts, who absorbed a 0-3 defeat to Hong Kong to open their campaign.

[​IMG]

Kickoff is at 7 p.m. (10 p.m. in the Philippines) at the Hisor Central Stadium just outside capital Dushanbe.

Another victory for the Filipinas puts them on track of topping the group and a spot in the next round, where there will be 12 teams divided into three groups.

[​IMG]Filipinas coach Alen Stajcic expects improvement from his side that is also preparing for the FIFA Women’s World Cup in July.

“We didn’t execute as well as we should have,” said Stajcic, referring to his team’s performance against Pakistan.

The Filipinas have won the last two meetings against the Tajiks, including a 3-1 win in the 2018 AFC Asian Cup qualifiers here.

[​IMG]

Co-captain Hali Long who marked her 70th appearance for the national team with a 22nd minute goal against Pakistan admits the expectation for the Filipinas to pick up results and advance to the next round.

“It’s our third time being here and every time we’ve been here we’ve qualified for the next round and I expect nothing less of that to happen this time,” said Long.

Reflecting on her all-time appearance record for the team, Long said she is grateful to be on this journey with the Filipinas.

“It’s nice and I’m grateful to have more caps under my belt, more experience and hopefully I’ve gained maturity and knowledge along the way,” she said.

“Im really grateful to have 70 (caps). I’m enjoying every aspect of it. I’m just trying to play as much as I can and represent as much as I can. It’s just a number to me and it’s always going to be there whether its big or small but it’s exciting and I do hope we celebrate each of those milestones for every player on this team.”

https://pff.org.ph/2023/04/07/afc-womens-oqt-filipinas-aim-for-second-win-vs-hosts/

Lechus7 repped this.
  21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

It looks like Coach Staj is giving backup goaltender Fontanilla a lot of starts in this tournament as she has played well in Australia for the Central Coast Mariners while starting goaltender O McDaniel continues to be clubless.

Surprisingly 16 y.o. Pasion is given her 2nd consecutive start and cap in her first tournament for the senior national team.

Staj is apparently giving a chance to a lot of the alternates to prove they deserve a spot on the WC roster.

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #947 Pelefan, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    HT Philippines 6-0 Tajikistan

It is only half time but it has been a shooting gallery for the Philippines with I think 6 different players scoring goals. If you include the first game which they won over Pakistan 4-0 with 4 other goalscorers that will make 10 different goalscorers so far in 2 games with still 45 minutes to go.

blissett repped this.
  23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #948 Pelefan, Apr 8, 2023
    FT Philippines 8-0 Tajikistan with substitute Chandler McDaniel scoring the final 2 goals of the match. Dominating performance by the Philippines both in terms of possession and goals. They just didn't want to let up immediately going on the offence as soon as they get the ball.
    Woman of the Match is Captain Tahnai Annis who was everywhere. At 33 y.o. and now finally playing regularly in the Iceland top tier, she seems to have recovered the form that made her an All American in the NCAA and MVP of her club during her first stint in Iceland years ago.

This is the 2nd time the Philippines defeated Tajikistan 8-0 the first occurring in 2017 during the 2018 Asian Cup qualifiers.

One more game to go against Hongkong to determine which team advances from Grp E.

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Grp E standings after 2 games courtesy of Kristian Mark Llanto on the Abantes Filipinas Facebook page

[​IMG]

Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #950 Pelefan, Apr 8, 2023
    Adrielle Salvador who was part of the US U15NT training camp last year in California and is part of the USNT pool has decided to accept the invitation to play for the Philippine U17 NT in the AFC U17 qualifiers starting later this month in Guam. She has decided to join her sister in committing to the Philippines who was part of the U20 national team last month that participated in the AFC U20 qualifiers.

Coach Staj has proven that he is not averse to inviting teenagers to the seniors like she did with 16 y.o. Isabella Pasion in the Olympic quailfiers if they are good enough and that Isabella demonstrated by impressively playing the full 90' for them against Pakistan and Tajikistan so it is a good idea to commit early.