Filipinas Rising (The Philippines Women's Football Thread)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dernhelm, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #726 Pelefan, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Katria Guillou's stats for 2022 while playing for Pitea in the Swedish top tier:

Matches Played: 24
    Goals Scored: 7
    Assists Made: 3
    Ave Goal/Game: 0.2917 (29.17% chance)
    Yellow Cards: 5

Katrina's significance and impact to her team has helped them finish mid table finishing as the second top scorer in Pitea.

JanBalk repped this.
  2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #727 Pelefan, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Katrina has also scored 5 goals for the PWNT in various friendlies this year ranking her 6th in the world in that category for 2022. This of course comes with the caveat that the PWNT has played more games(27) than any other national women's team in the world this year although Katrina hasn't always been able to participate in many of those games because of club commitments and injury related issues.

Incidentally Sara Eggesvik is 6th in the most number of assists category for friendlies in the world this year despite only joining the PWNT last June which is well deserved considering how accurate her placement of balls are at when delivering assists even when those receiving them are running at full speed towards the goal.

[​IMG]

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago

As stated in the above interview with Coach Staj and national team players Bolden and Ahnnis, Merryl Serrano mentioned in an article in Norway before leaving for Chile, that they will head to Australia this December with possibly one more friendly scheduled (also mentioned by PFF Sec Gen Gastanes during the PSA press conference) although it still needs final confirmation, making it a total of 30 international games for 2022 for the PWNT, the most of any country in the world. I wonder if that possible friendly is against Australia.

Gryphons Dad repped this.
  4. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Papua New Guinea

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #730 Pelefan, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Why? Papua New Guinea is currently playing in the Pacific Four Nations Tournament and have lost to both Fiji and the Solomon Islands. The Philippines already routed twice Fiji 7-2 and 8-0 many months ago so why play a team that is even weaker. That doesn't sound worth the expense and effort of traveling to Australia for.

6. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Just an educated guess. This camp is outside the FIFA window, and the hopes of playing a big national team like Australia are slim. Most national teams are on break for the holidays. But who knows.

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #732 Pelefan, Nov 11, 2022
    Australia is willing to play a team like Thailand this month so I am sure they would be willing to accommodate a stronger team like the Philippines particularly since the latter's Australian coaching staff would add intrigue to any potential friendly and help sell tickets to the match. Australia is staying at home so it won't be too much of an inconveniece for them.

Your guess doesn't make much sense.

This friendlies are expensive to arrange and finance for the away team. You have to see some benefit for the PWNT if you are going to travel that far to play just one friendly and Papua New Guinea just doesn't fit the bill.

8. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    You are assuming an awful lot. Maybe you can email the Australian federation to tell them how happy they would be playing the Philippines in December. Or email the Philippines team to let them know they need to play Australia. You know as well as I do that the FIFA window opponents have been set for awhile. It's easier said than done to organize an impromptu game and camp outside the FIFA window, less than a month away no less. I'll stand my by guess, It's either PNG or just a training camp against local clubs.

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #734 Pelefan, Nov 11, 2022
    Well you can tell that to the USWNT who are also playing 2 away games against the NZWNT outside the FIFA window in New Zealand in January. If those countries are willing to do this outside the FIFA Window, I don't see any reason why the Matildas can't do the same.

The Philippines are not like the US. They don't have the finances to just fly to Australia on a whim to play weak national teams like PNG or just local clubs. It would be much more prudent and less expensive for them to do that in the US where they can find stronger competition(club wise and possibly internationally with CONCACAF nations) and where many of their players are already based.

The only way I can see the PWNT playing PNG is if Australia pays for the trip all expenses paid for as they have done for many of the Pacific Island nations close to them they have relations with and want to keep in their orbit diplomatically. It is going to cost them a lot more though since PWNT players will be flying from all over the world and not just neighboring island nations.

Gryphons Dad repped this.
  10. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    That makes sense and you may be right. I guess we will know in a few weeks.

11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It is a FIFA WC year next year. Countries will be more willing take all measures to get ready for the WC including scheduling games outside FIFA windows than they normally would on regular years.

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Our Group mates in the Women's World Cup all lost their matches in friendlies yesterday. Hopefully the Philippines has a positive result today to help make that up.

GROUP A - 3 matches played (3 losses)
    (11/11) SWITZERLAND [​IMG] 1-2 [​IMG] Denmark
    (11/11) NORWAY [​IMG] 1-2 [​IMG] France
    (11/12) NEW ZEALAND [​IMG] 0-1 [​IMG] Korea Republic

blissett repped this.
  14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #739 Pelefan, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    [​IMG]

A lot of alternates on this lineup. Usual starters like Bolden, Quezada and Annis are on the bench again.

It looks like Staj is giving some of the alternates some playing time to test them as well as moving some players out of their usual position. We will see how they respond.

Serrano will probably not be fielded until the 2nd half since she is still not match fit even though she has recovered from her injury.

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #740 Pelefan, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    Philippines scores a goal off a free kick to lead Chile 1-0 against the run of play. Eggesvik as usual providing the assist with Hali Long looping a header off Chile's world class goalkeeper Christianne Endler.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    HT Philippines 1-0 Chile

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    FT Philippines 1-1 Chile

I was unimpressed by both teams particularly Chile who had most of their starters in the first half while Philippines fielded many alternates. Chile had most of possession as is typical of the Latin style but mostly lack ideas on the final third mostly shooting from distance and unable to break the Philippine defence down for the most part.

I was also disappointed by the Philippine's performance. Their passing was below par, unable to keep possession for most of the game. This resulted in a lack of service to their forwards who in the few chances they had showed how dangerous they can be.

Fortunately as is usual McDaniel excelled in goal and centerback Hali Long(who scored the lone goal) was everywhere snuffing out most of the chances Chile had in goal.

At any rate if the Philippine doesn't improve on this performance (albeit with a lot of missing players) I think they are going to have a difficult time getting past the group stage at this point at the World Cup.

blissett repped this.
  18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Meryll Serrano Abrahamsen wasn't fielded probably because of lack of match fitness. Hopefully we get to see her in the 2nd game against Chile, even as a sub in the 2nd half.

Sara Eggesvik certainly could have used her help along with that of the missing Jaclyn Sawicki. They need more players in midfield with better passing skills who can help keep possesion of the ball.

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Eggesvik might be charming and easy to like off the field but she is probably the most combative and physical player on the PWNT on the field. She finally got a yellow card for it in the game against Chile.

On offence she again delivered a nice assist to Long helping the providing the lone goal against Chile in a 1-1 tie but she was also creating havoc on defence with her physical play.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456...ecently_seen&multi_permalinks=507527444764065

Chile's player in this sequence Acuna was quite dangerous on the left flank early in the first half but I think she got so frustrated that she became ineffective and had to be subbed early in the 2nd half.

Nevertheless it was a physical game with Chile also earning a couple of yellow cards to match.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #745 Pelefan, Nov 14, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Sara Eggesvik's physicality may have been due to the fact that she was used to playing against boys when she was younger. I think she was at Grand Bodo her hometown club at that time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Bauser

Are girl's teams allowed to compete against boy's teams in Norway?

blissett repped this.
  21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Yes, they are allowed to, but there is no organized unisex league. You can find the odd girl playing for boys teams up to age 15 may be, before they drop off. I suppose most women reaching senior national team level have played for boys teams at some stage during their youth. And at senior level, Toppserien clubs sometimes organize pre-season friendlies against boys teams to test themselves against physically superior opponents.

blissett, Pelefan and JanBalk repped this.
  22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #747 Pelefan, Nov 14, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    I see. Her teammates seem to be older though. This might be Grand Bodo playing a friendly against a boy's team.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eggesvik plays much more physical than even her bigger Fil Am teammates on the PWNT and right from her very first game against Bosnia was shouldering surprised Bosnian players out of the way to get to the ball.

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  23. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, the women is in Grand Bodö's away uniforms, I do not get a clear view of the emblem on the boy's uniforms but they look to be in the home uniform for Grand Bodö (unless some other team have the same main sponsor and a similar emblem it must be Grand Bodö). So my guess is that it is from a match between Grand Bodö senior women's team against one of their boys team, U17 perhaps.

blissett and Pelefan repped this.
  24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Thanks. Some of the boys look the same age(or at least look more mature) than Eggesvik even so it is a good experience for her to get used to that level of play and physicality at such a young age.

25. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

Much stronger starting lineup for the 2nd game with both Quezada and Bolden starting instead of coming up off the bench.