Filipinas Rising (The Philippines Women's Football Thread)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dernhelm, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #626 Pelefan, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    Aside from Maya Doms who scored the winning goal against the full Chinese national senior women's squad in Stanford U's 1-0 win, Stanford University senior defender and fellow Fil Am Madison Ayson also played in the win.

Madison is having a good summer after also playing for the California Storm when they won the WPSL (US 2nd tier) Championship last July.

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #627 Pelefan, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    Sara Eggesvik scored 2 goals for her team Malvik in her first match of the season before leaving for Philippine training camp for the Sep friendlies.

3. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Speaking of NZ, a player once reached out to me asking if she can still try out for the Philippines after playing a bunch of friendlies with NZ. She was not happy that she did not get playing time. I forgot her name :(

Pelefan repped this.
  4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Here is Quinley Quezada's(who is used to the American style of play) take on her experience playing in Japan last year with JEF United Chiba at 7:55.

She describes the Japanese style of play as very technical and very organized and she had to brush up on her technical abilities.

She is now playing in Serbia with Red Star Belgrade.

blissett repped this.
  5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #630 Lechus7, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    "Very technical and very organized" doesn't equal "emphasis on possession style football".

Tactics that emphasize ball possession - for ball possession's sake - are fundamentally focused on defense, where depriving the opponent of the ball is a key task in limiting the damage he can do.

However, for teams that exhibit a high quality of technical training and good organization of the game, 'ball possession' is only a byproduct of the above.
    The way it is used by these teams in the overall game plan depends on a couple of factors and varies according to the quality of their rivals. (still, it is the coach who has the final word on the 'type' of football played by his team)

Japanese football is often described as "possession style" which should be considered highly misleading. In the CONCACAF championship, the USWNT team had more ball possession than its rivals in each of the matches they played. Does this mean that the football played by the USWNT nowadays emphasizes ball possession? ;)

The capacity to break lines of the opponent’s defence is crucial if a team is to win matches. In the modern game, where defending teams often drop into compact, narrow, mid and low blocks it is becoming increasingly difficult to break lines forcing attacking teams to be more creative and thoughtful in progressing their build-up play.

Since 2017, when Futoshi Ikeda took over Japan's U20 team and then senior WNT (2021) there has been a clear shift in the way how Nadeshiko are playing their game. (on tactical level and player selection level)
    The one-dimensional approach - possession or direct style - has given way to modern football, which often requires the use of a wide range of tactics within a single match to ensure it's success. Former Japan WNT coach Asako Takakura also attempted to do just that after the 2019 WWC, but ultimately fell short in time for the Tokyo Olympics.

The professionalization of the Japanese league has forced exactly the same change among most of its clubs. WE League clubs do not emphasize ball possession in their play any more than NWSL or UWCL teams do.

EDIT: I'd say team that emphasize "possession based style of play" is for example Spain WNT under Jorge Vilda and less so Spain U20's under Pedro Lopez.

blissett and Pelefan repped this.
  6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Good analysis and explanation. Thanks for elucidating on that.

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #632 Pelefan, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    They just started their training camp in California with a few new college players trying out. The pros will probably arrive later when they are released from their clubs.

Apparently Meryl Abrahamsen who plays for Norwegian top flight club Arna-Bjornar and has experience in the UEFA Women's Champion's League has been invited to join the PWNT.

https://z-upload.facebook.com/haugesundsavis/posts/5733104820055518

@Bauser

https://www.h-avis.no/eksotisk-foresporsel-kan-ende-med-vm-spill-for-meryll/s/5-62-1394999

Bonnie Lass repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tough time to get college players as the NCAA season just kicked off a few days ago.

9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #634 Pelefan, Aug 26, 2022
    Exactly, bad timing. However it looks like there are a few new tryouts on the squad including some recent college graduates and high school players whose schedule won't conflict with their college teams during the NCAA season.

FIFA international windows unfortunately don't take US college schedules into account.

10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #635 Pelefan, Aug 26, 2022
    Bauser repped this.
  11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I read the article.

Meryll is travelling to California on August 24 to be part of a two week long training camp. Her club Arna Bjørnar have given her thumbs up to go. She is still in recovery after she tore a thigh muscle in March. She is slowly beginning to work with a ball in training and is not match fit for some time yet. She says she is at 60% now.

Meryll hasn't visited the Philippines for many years, but her mother still lives there. Merryll has applied for a dual citizenship and the application will soon be accepted.

"To play for the Philippines was never in my mind before I received this invitation from the football federation. And I don't know if I want to. I've always dreamt about playing for Norway. (Meryll has nine youth caps at various age groups for Norway)."

"I don't know if I'm good enough playing for them. I know nothing about the level of the players there. I've been in touch with the coach. They invited me to a camp in California and I've accepted the invitation. Hopefully I'll be fit enough to participate in some training sessions. Still, very honoured to be invited and the World Cup is huge."

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #637 Pelefan, Aug 26, 2022
    Thanks for posting the translation of the article. It requires a subscription so I couldn't open it up and translate it.

JanBalk repped this.
  13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #638 Pelefan, Aug 26, 2022
    I don't think we will get to see Meryll Abrahamsen in any of the friendlies next week since she is not match fit and still recovering from her muscle tear injury.

She also needs to get her paperwork done including her Philippine passport and certificate of transfer from FIFA from the Norwegian federation to the Philippine federation which will take some time to finish.

14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It looks like Sara Eggesvik is not the only player that has decided to go to med school on the national team.

One of the Philippine's best players Riley Bugay who was the starting defensive midfielder before she got injured in the European training camp and was a key player during the Asian Cup and whose position was taken over by Jaclyn Sawicki is not in training camp because she is starting her med school education at Indiana U.

JanBalk repped this.
  15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Stajcic has 27 players for the camp, including several newcomers who are set to be assessed by the coaching staff.

“We’ve been looking forward to this camp after a memorable and unforgettable AFF campaign,” said Stajcic.

The Filipinas are taking on World Cup co-host New Zealand in another friendly at Cal State Fullerton’s Titan Stadium on Sept. 6 (Sept. 7 in Manila). The Football Ferns are positioned at No. 22 in the FIFA rankings.

“The match against New Zealand ranked No. 22 in the world will provide stern competition and build on the experience we have in the team,” said Stajcic.

"We have five new players set to come in as we look to further strengthen the team and increase depth leading into 2023,” said Stajcic.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #642 Pelefan, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Sofia Harrison, one of the Philippine Women's National Football Team’s main defenders, signed a contract with #Bundesliga side SV Werder Bremen Frauen

“We wanted to add a left-footed player to our squad in the full-back position so that we can always react to all situations that can arise during a season. We are therefore glad that we were able to sign a player with potential in Sofia,” stated the translated comments of club official Birte Brueggemann.

“Our squad planning is now complete.”

For her part, Harrison is excited about what lies ahead, “Having the opportunity to play in the women’s Bundesliga is a big step for me. I hope that I can help the team with my skills to achieve our goals.”

The 23-year-old left-back is the latest player after the likes of Quinley Quezada, Jessika Cowart, Sarina Bolden and Jaclyn Sawicki to sign with a top tier club abroad after demonstrating their skills at the international level with the PWNT to join Katrina Guillou and now Meryl Abrahamsen Rosales Serrano who are currently playing top flight football abroad already.

She also recently got engaged a few weeks ago.

Well we still don't have Aston Villa's Mayumi Pacheco as starting left back on the PWNT since she is still part of the English national team pool but at least we will have a left back with pro experience playing top flight football in the Frauen Bundesliga in Germany in Sofia Harrison.

datschge repped this.
  18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Make it 4 Fil Am players from powerhouse Stanford U who are eligible to play for the Philippines(Maya Doms, Madison Ayson, Kellie Pagador, Nya Harrison). Doms the most accomplished of the 4 scored the winning goal for Stanford U in their 1-0 win in a friendly over the defending Asian Cup champion and world 16th ranked China women's national football team.

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    @Bauser

Apparently Norway's top league Toppserien highlighted Meryll Abrahamsen for having the longest name in the entire league with 8 (Maria Meryll Krysteen Serrano Rosales Rafael Gonzales Abrahamsen).

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=475183129743335

[​IMG] NAVNETRØBBEL [​IMG]
    Meryll Abrahamsen har intet mindre enn åtte navn [​IMG] Ikke rart det går litt i surr for de andre på laget [​IMG][​IMG] Kjenner du noen med like mange navn?

[​IMG] NAME TROUBLE Ø
    Meryll Abrahamsen has no less than eight names [​IMG] No wonder the others on the team are getting a little buzz [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Do you know anyone with the same number of names?

Klingo3034 and Bauser repped this.
  20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #645 Pelefan, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    The Panama friendly was cancelled but the PWNT still managed to play a friendly game against a WPSL(2nd tier) club in California winning 5-1.

They will be facing New Zealand on 9/6. NZ won 1-0 over Mexico yesterday in their respective friendly.

21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Stajcic said the match against the co-host of the World Cup will be unlike no other, but will be a gauge on how the players will respond to tough competition.

“For us, it’s going to be a massive challenge. They’ve been together a lot more as a national team. Players playing all over the world in New Zealand, Australia, but plenty in Europe and America as well in the NWSL,” said Stajcic during media availability on Monday morning.

“Definitely a lot of pedigree in their team. Their technique and tactical awareness have improved over the years and they are going to be a tough opponent no doubt about that,” said Stajcic.

Stajcic also declared that the New Zealand clash will be the hardest this year.

“Probably the toughest opponent we play this year after the Asian Cup. I think Australia and South Korea are a touch ahead of them, but after that, they are definitely the hardest team we are going to play,” said Stajcic.

The Filipinas have already played two friendlies against local clubs, both of which were favorable results.

“They are doing really well. We have been together for a week. During the time we are not together, they are doing individual programs they need to be doing if they are not in a professional club. Their conditioning is good but it’s been hot here, training has been tough and the two friendly games have been grueling conditions. That’s all training and preparation, it’s important. That will be a good yardstick of where we at when we play a team like New Zealand.

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #647 Pelefan, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of really good newcomers who played in the club friendlies who are not listed in the roster because they don't have their passport yet so they cannot play in the NZ friendly. One is a high school Notre Dame U commit who scored 2 goals in one of the friendlies and the other is a potential switch from a top 15 FIFA women ranked federation where she played for their U17 and U20 teams and has 3 senior caps for them and is currently playing for a top flight team in Denmark.

datschge repped this.
  23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #648 Pelefan, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    New Zealand has experienced a rash of injuries and suspensions due to Covid prior to the Philippines match.

They lost one of their star midfielders Annalie Longo to a serious ACL MCL tear in the match against Mexico which could jeopardize her appearance in next year's World Cup. Midfielder Ria Percival was already missing due to injury so they have been forced to call up a few youngsters including one from a local US college to fill in. Midfielders Katie Bowen (unavailable) and Daisy Cleverley (injured) were already absent from this tour, while Malia Steinmetz, who replaced Longo against Mexico, will miss the Philippines match after testing positive for Covid-19 and joining forwards Grace Jale and Hannah Wilkinson in isolation.

We are catching them at the right time. I predict an upset by the Philippines tonight.

Bonnie Lass repped this.
  24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #649 Pelefan, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    [​IMG]

Looks like Sawicki is unavailable to play. Riley Bugay would have been first choice to replace Sawicki at defensive midfield but she just started her med school education at Indiana U and is not part of this camp.

Jessica Miclat who scored in one of the club friendlies earlier this week has taken her place instead.

As expected both Chandler McDaniel and Meryll Serrano Abrahamsen were not fielded even though they are on the official roster as they are still recovering from their respective long term injuries.

Interestingly Randle seems to have recovered her place as starting centerback ahead of Cowart who just recently signed with Serbian club Spartak Subotica.