Figo?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by twh3, Jul 5, 2005.

1. The_Special_One

The_Special_One New Member

May 17, 2005
    london
    His contract expires next year, but because of his services to Madrid and the fact that they didnt want him anymore, they were willing to let him go for free. Now all of a sudden, they making all this fuss about wanting 3 million from Liverpool. Madrid always does this crap with all their players, especially the ones that have actually played for a long time there.

And then their fans criticise Chelsea for the way they treat their players, pff.

2. lackadaisical

lackadaisical Member

Jul 9, 2004
    memphis
    From what I have read, Figo has taken a massive wage cut to come to Liverpool. Benitez said from the beginning that Liverpool didn't want to pay him the wages he was getting at Madrid and that's why Liverpool probably wouldn't be signing him. But Figo really wants to play in the Premiership so he lowered his demands so Liverpool would get him.

3. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Done deal? :confused:
    http://footballmsn.skysports.com/li...tle=Figo+agrees+Reds+deal&channel=premiership

Well.i was a big fan of figo,but im not to sure hell be efective in the EPL.And now real want a tranfer fee?After paying us 8 million for owen,they want a TRANSFER FEE!Ive read they are only asking for 2 million,why not give nuñez back? :rolleyes: .And how much did he lower his wadge demand,from 150000 to 120000?I cant see figo getting less than 60,000 a week and he doesnt deserve that!

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This blows, Figo is so old and overrated.

1 yr contract, 80,000 pounds a week please.

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Sounds about right. But while overrated, he is still more than capable as a player. I could see paying a little for him, but I'd have to make that contingent upon a season that had less than, say, 20 days or less taken up by injury. Also, I think there is some truth for to the above post that mentioned Owen's fee. I'm not sure how many more bridges Real can burn even with their budget.

6. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Figo earns 6 million euros a year. Real Madrid are asking for $3 million Euros transfer fee ... eventou Florentino and Figo have parted ways, still Figo remains the "trojan horse" that made Florentino win his election in 2000.

Even with the transfer fee, it would be an awesome addition to the squad. Rafa wants the EPL ... and wants to be in contention in all cups. For that you need depth of squad and experience.

What a midfield with Xavi-Gerrard-Figo-Zenden ... and Morientes-Cisse upfront! :D

7. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    i have been under the general impression that Figo is a winger. am i wrong?

are you playing Alonso inside and Figo on the wing? and this midfield combo is a bit scant on the holding aspect. would you play a 3-1-4-2 with Hamann playing behind the midfield?

our readers want to know

and about Morientes with Cisse: i know it will come to that, but i really prefer the idea of Luis Garcia playing behind a single striker, probably Cisse, though Cisse needs to step up.

8. RedTommo

RedTommo New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Sydney
    Wow, if this Figo thing comes through Rafa really seems to have added some depth to an already quality midfield. We're looking at a possible:

Riise-Xabi-Gerrard-Figo

With Hamman, Zenden, Garcia, Kewell, Biscan (assuming he dosn't leave) and this new Gonzalez character in the mix, depending on how you like it.

Obviously Figo only has 1 or 2 seasons left in him, but whoa :eek: That's quality in depth for ya...

With a forward line of Morientes/Ciise/Baros/Garcia/Pongolle to look to, and Reina supposedly one of Spain's best, allst we need now is a couple of big defensive signings and our squad is looking pretty formidable if you ask me...

9. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

At home I would play ...

Finnan --- Caragher --- Hyppia --- Riise
    ----------- Xavi - Gerrard -------
    Figo ----------------------------- Zenden
    ----------Cisse ---- Morientes

It is the same formation as part of last year, injuries permitting ... replacing Figo for Garcia ... Zenden for Riise and Cisse for Baros.

Zenden has as much defense as offense ... and Riise can still push forward, kinda Roberto Carlos or Cole.

Finnan is less likely to push forward on the right, but the addition of Figo gives you more outside depth than with Garcia.

For away games we could see Hamman in for either Morientes or Cisse, playing one center forward and Figo, Zenden and Gerrard arriving from behind.

10. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    You're right. He took far too much time rehabbing his leg. I don't think he is committed to the club. :rolleyes:

11. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I think Figo can be a quality addition. He still has something to offer to the game and is still more than capable of putting forth quality performances. More importantly his experience will help rub off on some of the younger players playing behind him. Depending on what newspaper you read his wages are anywhere from 50k-65K. Rafa did a great job of lowering his wage demands. Let's hope that Real let him go for free.

As for Zenden, I would think that he is here primarily as a central midfielder. Biscan was released and no other central midfielders have been added. Kewell, Riise and Gonzalez can play on the left.

12. Dundalis

Dundalis New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Figo didn't get pushed out of the Real Madrid team because of his form, he got pushed out because they didn't want their most consistant player come the end of the season to be leaving for free. Bad PR. As far as I'm concerned Figo was Madrid's hardest working player on the pitch always running at players and putting in crosses. He had lost a step or two no doubt, but still wasn't having trouble going past players and putting in quality balls. Which basically says a slower Figo is still better than most players out there. As far as i'm concerned he is worth every penny of the reduced 60,000 or whatever we are going to pay him for the next season or two.

13. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I would imagine that Figo would be our #1 penalty kick taker.

14. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    Spanish newspaper Marca claim Liverpool will pay the £2m required for Figo.

15. Dundalis

Dundalis New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Every other media article says we won't. And i'd say that he will almost certainly be our #1 penalty kick taker. Unless it's Morientes, whom I think is pretty good too.

16. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle offered Real Madrid more money for Morientes than Liverpool did. Real Madrid sold Morientes to Liverpool because that is where the player wanted to go. That is how Real Madrid treats their players.

17. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    We might convert more than %50 of our penalties this season! ;)

Is his free kick still very good?

18. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    i take it you saw him in the CL final, the 10 minutes he was in...

he looked like a floater. didn't come back to defend midfield. was listless.

if he's going to take the pitch, he needs to play football, both ways.

do you remember Heskey in the UEFA Cup run? compare the two.

19. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right - 10 min in one game is enuf to convince me - off with his head!

20. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

That sounds more like the player choosing a contract, and the club accepting a transfer fee under pressure.

21. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    oh, like this wasn't the most important game of the season for Liverpool, and Cisse couldn't be bothered to play both ways???

you kill me.

all i'm saying is that Cisse ought to be used as a sub, maybe in the 75th minute, to see what he's got. if he plays like he wants to win, then start him, but he didn't look like he was ready to play football in the CL match. he came in in the 85th minute and played the final 35 minutes, including extra time.

22. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Figo will be a good addition but some of our madrid signings havent really shown me the so called class and touch ie.Morientes and Nunez and i dont think figo will be that fast as from my understanding of the game liverpool do need some pace on all sides and with cisse fit our speed up front will be good.
    Its amazing how we had no players at all during injury season and now we are fluorishing with new additions to our squad.
    All we need is now a great defender who will help carra and hyypia.

23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Me, I saw him come on as a lone striker to give Milan something to think about other than putting 10 men in attack.

He almost scored a couple of times, one the keeper stuck his hand out just in time. Giving Milan palpitations.

Couldn't be bothered....I think he came on "under orders."

I like the idea of him coming on as a sub, probably somewhere near the 60 minute mark to use his speed against tired legs.

24. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Nunez had almost no action in La Liga either. He is a young player with tactical obedience, but far from being a talented player.

25. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    split the difference -- 67th minute ;)