Figo to retire from seleccao after Euro 04

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Selecao2002, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    All of the Portuguese dailies have quotes from an interview Figo gave to Sport TV yesterday, in which he announced he will likely leave the seleccao after Euro 2004. This is obviously not a big surprise given his age and accomplishments. However, let's all try to enjoy this legend (even though he may be on the decline) in the Portuguese colors while we can.

BTW, Real plays Belgrade tomorrow afternoon (2:30pm EST) on ESPN2 in the US.

2. javaj

javaj New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Creve Coeur
    It's about time!

It's time for Figo to retire period! He sucked at last year's world cup and he hasn't been that special for Real this year.

3. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Whatever. He played in the World Cup with a ankle injury. Essentially, he was playing on one foot. And, from what I have been reading, he has been playing well for Madrid. He set up a classy goal the other day for Ronaldo.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    we can still use Figo at Beira-Mar when his days are over in Spain

5. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    C'mon, Frank. Figo is heading back to the Alvalade when his time in Spain is over.

6. Simao

Simao New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    obrigado por tudo artista

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    you can have him, is about done, finish, terminate,

8. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    GET THE FOCK OUT!!!

thanks for the memories and skill though FEEGO!!!!!!!!!!

9. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Not quite.....even with all of the people like you who follow the seleccao saying things like he is washed up, he remains Portugal's top and most consistent performer.

10. decobraziliant

decobraziliant New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    good Fago's leaving!!! I've waited for this for a long time!!! hopefully all his other Golden generation buddies follow him out. So we have space for the real players like Deco to show his stuff!!!

11. TVENTURA

TVENTURA New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    I think Figo is doing the right thing (just like Jorge Costa). It was the best player of the world at one point and did a lot for the Portuguese national team. But by 2006, lets face it is old and his contribution to the national team would be very limited...however, i think is playing very well for Real Madrid and he will continue to play well at club level and every Portuguese club would be happy to have him on board,including Porto.

Good luck Figo!!!!

12. decobraziliant

Aug 28, 2003
    man Porto would never want him!!! he's too damn lazy!!! he never runs back and just waits for the pass. and he's becoming too slow. Porto would maybe pick him up for nothing but they would never make a trade to aquire him!!

13. TVENTURA

TVENTURA New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    You forgot that he scored a goal against Porto and was one of the best players on the pitch ( Real Madrid game) and pretty much tortured the Porto defense...not bad for an old man....

So i would not write him off so quickly...

14. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Aside from the brilliant free kick against Brazil, Deco has not shown much with Portugal. Until Sunday against Belenenses, he had not shown for Porto.

It is so funny how quickly people forget about Figo's contribution to Portuguese football. When all is said and done, only Eusebio casts a larger shadow over the history of Portuguese football.

And, like hell Mourinho wouldn't want Figo. Do you think he would rather have Marco Ferreira out there? Please!!!

15. TVENTURA

TVENTURA New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    I agree. I think Porto would love to have Figo..they don't have a winger with Figo's caliber, now that i think about it, they let the only winger go to Rangers and i don't consider Maniche and Alinetcheve (sorry about the spelling) wingers...but this is beside the point, because i don't see Figo even wanting to go to Porto, he probably would rather go to Sporting or Benfica.

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Benfica don't want Figo, and I could care less about getting Rui Costa, I want the kid from Braga, his name Gama 15 year old,

17. decobraziliant

Aug 28, 2003
    First off Porto have cesar peixoto as a winger and he's awesome!!! and 2nd Figo isn't that great anymore! other then the Porto game. did u watch him against Partizan??? did u watch him against Marseille??? he slowed down the team, Made awful passes and played too selfish and lost the ball. Against Partizan he got like 10 chances to score and he missed everytime!!! other then the header to raul!!!

18. RuiJorge2002

RuiJorge2002 New Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Southeastern MA
    Some of you people are ridiculous. I'd gladly take Figo at Sporting. If the guy is starting for Real Madrid, where there are plenty of great players on the bench just waiting to take his spot, he's still got the talent. And don't tell me Portugal is tougher to play in than Spain.

Not to mention the selecao hasn't exactly been brilliant recently... with or without Figo. show the man some respect, he's earned it.

19. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    If you really want to compare Peixoto with Figo, then I really have to question your football judgement. BTW, even though Raul got credit for it, that was Figo's goal.

20. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Yah, Frank, I will take some unproven 15 year old over Figo or Costa.....sure...anything you say.

21. decobraziliant

Aug 28, 2003
    Man Frank is right!!! you have to think about the future!! What good is Figo in a year or 2?? For example I'd rather have cristiano Ronaldo over figo. The same thing with Gama someone you build your team up with. adding one OLD superstar to your line up won't make much of a difference to your team.

B4 I didn't say Peixoto was better then Figo. Someone said Porto has no winger. If you have to give something in order to recieve Figo he's not worth it.

Same for me I'd rather have Gama over Figo anyday. He proved to us just how good he was at wc2002 . All he proved to me was that he's too old for that level of play.

22. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    I watched all Real Madrid games last season And I have watched them all thus far this season.
    All I can say is Figo played a good season last year and he is playing great in this season.
    But maybe some of you are right and he cant take a starting spot at Porto. LOL

23. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    This has to be the single most stupid comment I have read on these boards in a long, long time.

Gama is a NOBODY. Maybe someday he will do something, but right now he is a 15 year old prospect. Whether he ever amounts to even a decent player remains to be seen. You're right, Figo only has a couple of years in the tank, but he woud dominate the SuperLiga for those two years, while Gama reaches puberty and maybe cracks the reserve team of one of the Big 3.

24. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    And Deco, didn't Figo and Zizou take over the game in the second when Real Madrid played in Porto three weeks ago? Wasn't he not one of the two best players on the pitch that night?

25. TVENTURA

TVENTURA New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Let me see if i understand... you are saying that Figo couldn't get a starting position with Porto but he gets to start every Real Madrid game... are you saying that Porto has a better team than Madrid? that is what you just implied!!!!don't get me wrong i think Porto has one of the best teams in Europe but Real Madrid?
    I think Figo right now would get a starting position as Porto winger. I know that Cesar Peixoto had two great games against Belenenses and Marseilhe, but Figo would bring in more experience and goal scoring.