Figo thread, [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  2. El Ardillo

El Ardillo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Delaware
    Re: 7th straight year Figo the best player outside of Portugal

well, reguardless the dude has another kid, which means he is "happy". not to mention the fact that a baby is a gift in itself.

he'll do many great things until he plops dead, no sooner will he lay done from the game.

"the passion of soccer flows in his heart, radiates in his mind, and swells in his soul."

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

the reason Figo his playing so well could be his not playing for the national team any longer, he doesn't have that burden anymore

and his playing less games

4. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

Absolutely! I would never underestimate Figo. He is one of our greatest players ever and still has some mileage. Playing for a new team after January will provide even more motivation. I say it will be very close between him and Ronaldo the next time around. Deco will also be in the running, especially if Barcelona continues to do well.

5. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

figo has nothing to lose now cause he doesnt have the nt to worry about so hes playing freely and the thing that gets me the most he might be heading somewhere else so theirs alot of work for him.

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

Figo scored a goal in the game for the Poor, he dribble pass 4 or 6 players and score.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Figo was in Portugal to meet with the President of the Republic Jorge Sampaio, and again mention not to be interested on playing for the national team

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

Figo wins again, 8 straight year, a record the never be broken

Standings

1º Figo, 62 pontos
    2º Ronaldo, 41
    3º Deco, 36
    4º Ricardo Carvalho, 9
    5º Pauleta, 7
    6º Rui Costa, 4
    7º Paulo Ferreira, 1
    8º Pedro Mendes, 1

9. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Figo could still be punished for injuring Jimenez:

National daily El Pais said Tuesday that the Spanish soccer federation's competition committee may punish Figo for his sliding tackle on Zaragoza's Cesar Jimenez, even though referee Jose Losantos Omar didn't issue the Portuguese international with a card at the time.

However, Figo's chances of avoiding punishment received a boost when Zaragoza said it wouldn't make an official complaint to the federation.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/01/18/902249-ap.html

Figo's not that type of player and he already apologized to Cesar, so I don't think he will get a suspension.

10. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Nevermind, I just read this:

MADRID (AP) - Real Madrid midfielder Luis Figo has escaped punishment for a tackle that severely injured an opponent's knee and ended his season.

The Spanish soccer federation's competition committee decided Tuesday that Figo did not deserve a suspension for tackling Zaragoza's Cesar Jimenez on Sunday.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story.asp?ID=111767&hubName=

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  12. Ibranco

Ibranco New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Kingston, Canada
    he was their best player last year, he is this year.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I think the days off his takes by not playing for the national team got help.

14. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I think Figo's been spending some quality time with Petit. Did you see that tackle that ended Cesar's season. :eek: That was a "entrada a Petit". :D

15. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I watched it happen when it did during the game and it honestly looked like it could have gone either way. Both Figo and the other player went for the ball and unfortunately for the other guy he got hurt from it. It could have easily been Figo that got injured from that play. Both went hard for it.

16. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty awkward..i'm not surprised someone got injured on the play.

17. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Luxembourgo is going to try Figo out in the centre between Beckham (RW) and Zidane (LW). I think everyone saw this coming as Beckham makes for a garbage CM.

Futebol Internacional
    Luxemburgo testa Figo em nova posição

O técnico do Real Madrid, Vanderlei Luxemburgo, fez hoje os últimos testes para a partida com o Maiorca, tendo colocado Luís Figo a jogar atrás dos dois avançados.
    Luxemburgo continua à procura do «onze» ideal do Real Madrid e hoje o técnico brasileiro confirmou que vão surgir novidades na partida frente ao Maiorca, tendo Luís Figo sido testado atrás dos avançados Raul e Ronaldo, enquanto Beckham foi desviado para a ala direita e Zidane para o lado oposto. Esta escolha táctica implica que o médio português irá jogar mais no centro do terreno.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/index.asp?op=ver&noticia=74891&tema=2

18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  20. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I was hoping that Figo would be transferred but that looks very unlikely right now.

21. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Scolari is waiting for Figo to decide on his future. He's waiting until July:

O treinador da formação lusa considerou normal a saída de alguns jogadores que fizeram parte da referenciada «geração de ouro», mas mostrou-se esperançado no regresso de Figo à selecção portuguesa. Scolari vai esperar por uma decisão do médio português, lembrando que o jogador tem planos até Julho e decidirá nessa altura o seu futuro em relação ao Real Madrid e à Selecção.

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/noticia.php?id=496720&div_id=1194

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  23. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think he is gone in the summer...

"Like any human being, I want to sort out my future as soon as possible," said Figo.

"Given my age, the logical thing would be for them (Real) to allow me to leave at the end of this season, if they are not going to extend my contract.

"I`m absolutely certain that I`m not going to play for any other club in Spain.

"England has always been a dream because of the respect they have for the professionals over there and for the prestige associated with playing there.

http://www.utvinternet.com/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=20324&pt=s

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    let's find out if Real Madrid got any class, he was the first one of the latest stars to sign with the club, first Figo then Zidane and others