Figo in bust-up with Real Madrid pal Salgado

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Ibranco, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Ibranco

Ibranco New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Kingston, Canada
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/january/spanishnews310105.html

Real Madrid winger Luis Figo had to be separated from Michel Salgado by teammates during a training ground bust-up over the weekend.

DiarioSport says Figo kicked out at Salgado after being upset with a tackle he received in a bounce game. Spanish international fullback Salgado jumped immediately to his feet and raised his fists, as did Figo.

But the Portuguese veteran eventually backed down after the pair were dragged apart by stunned teammates.

Its been suggested Figo's frustrations over his contract situation split over, with the winger still waiting to hear from Real directors about a new extension.

The veteran has already courted controversy with his tackle on Zaragoza youngster Caesar Jimenez, which has left the defender sidelined for the season. The fullback excused Figo for his high tackle, but the incident drew huge publicity for the former World Player of the Year.

2. Resendes

Resendes New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Madrid is a mess and any coach is going to have a tough time dealing with that group of players.
    It's no secret he wants out and his fustrations might be showing now that the transfer window is closing.
    I hope the best for Figo and want to see him finish his career with a quality club.

3. thearchbishopdonjuan

Jan 28, 2005
    Any word on whether or not Figo resorted to his signature "Purse of Fury" finishing move?

4. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    These things happen all the time. After the'll probably go to dinner together.

5. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the clash of the egos. i am appaled nobody stuck up for figo. figo my advice to you is leave while you still can. come back to beautiful portugal where youll be welcomed and loved. real madrid first mistake was getting that out of shape talentless beckham .

6. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Next time, all that Figo has to do is a "entrada a Petit" (or Maniche ;) )and Salgado won't bug him anymore. :D

7. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I find it hard to believe anyone on this current Real Madrid side would give Figo any Shit.

Figo has been the only consistent player for them all year, and every game I watch he is always giving it his all. I don't know the details of what happened by apparently Salgado came in pretty hard on a challenge...

Too bad he doesn't play that way during regular games, then maybe Real would be sitting in first instead of behind Barcelona.

Figo should tell them all to shove it and move on to Man U. or Chelsea....

8. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    he should just call joa or sa pinto theyll kick his ass nice and quick lol

9. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    It is too bad that a team like Real Madrid, with all of the talent it has cannot do better.

Everyone on that team is to be held to a higher standard because of the caliber of players they are on paper. The truth is far from this. There are some stars that are there that don't really care about what the result is as long as they get to play.

Team administration is also an instigator in the teams behaviour. They keep putting head-to-head a lot of the talent and causing rifs in between the players. Raul-Figo, Zidane-Figo, Beckham-Zidane, Beckham-Owen, Bravo - Perez. Remember they only bought Beckham for his marketing power.

Figo, in my opinion, should move on to another team but not do the same fiasco he did when he moved from Barcelona. I don't want to see him o a Porto, Benfica or Sporting team. That would be a waist of his talent, and most of these team's players would be overjealous. I would like to see him go to a Chelsea, a Manchester United, a Braga, a Maritimo, Guimaraes. It is in these places where his brilliance would still shine bright and where he would elevate the team's level of quality play. :D

It wasn't a while ago that they thought of getting rid of him in Spain. :( But his performance on the Champions League has kept kept his lifeline intact. :eek: