Fighting to the Finish

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by IntheNet, Jan 27, 2008.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crack cocaine? The "anthrax" case you allude to was not positively defined as Islamic terrorism; indeed the case is still open...

The Beltway Sniper Attacks were not terrorism but rather a symptom of illegal immigration out of control and resulting crime thereto of the type that happens every day; in this case serial snipers. Both John Allen Muhammad (former Army mechanic and later Antigua credit card and immigration fraud criminal) and Lee Boyd Malvo (an illegal alien from Jamaica). The only Muslim link of the pair was to John Muhammad, who helped provide security for Louis Farrakhan's "Million Man March" in 1995. Hardly terrorism.

2. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I guess you just need to refine the definition of terrorism as terrorism proven to be done by Islamic Arabs. Otherwise, it doesn't count and W still done good, right?

W wasn't a very good president. He also wasn't very good by conservative standards. Sorry, he failed. Imagine if Social Security had been privatized, back when he had all that political capital back in 2005. Or how he personally intervened to keep Terri Schiavo alive. Or how he streamlined government bureaucracy by setting up the DHS. (HAHAHA, subtle dig at Katrina response.)

He is fighting to the finish. Fighting to stay out of jail, after his term ends.

3. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Whoa! Way to narrow down the definition of terrorism. How very narrow minded of you.

4. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It helps, I suppose. How else could you rationalize W as a great leader?

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Five Americans were killed and 17 more suffered serious illnesses, but they were probably Democrats, so they don't count.

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad part was how irrational it was with people hiding behind their cars while they were filling their tanks and gas station owners hanging huge tarps to hide the gas pumps from the street. It was crazy. And I have to admit to my own fears when I filled up my car during that time. Foreign gas station owners were fearful of community backlash and hung huge-ass American flags at their stations.

The thing that I remember the most is the constantly circling helicopters. I lived in Arlington, kinda close in and the sound of the helicopters went on for weeks.

8. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work for a man who is certifiably insane. Seriously.

Anyway, the other day the receptionist was telling me that during the anthrax scare he made her take the mail into the phone room to open it. She was given a mask and gloves. So it was deemed an acceptable risk for her to open the anthrax mail as long as he wasn't ever exposed to it.

Also, keep in mind that we're in Portland, Oregon, thousands of miles away from actual targets. My boss is somewhat famous locally but outside of here and a couple of universities scattered around the country no one either knows or cares about him.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fiancee's brother was in DC at that time on vacation and told us of the strangeness seeing people walk in zig-zags.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. It was incredible. Strangely, following so close on the heels of 9/11 I'm not sure that those of living through it understood how weird we were being until later.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was anthrax. No need for "quote" marks.

Yeah, THAT'S what it was about...illegal immigration. :rolleyes:

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it really matter if the terrorism is islamic or not? The victims of anthrax and the snipers are just as dead as those killed on 9/11.

14. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ha, ha, ha, ha.

More like "Lame duck watches the economy collapse."

15. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Yes it matters...for the same reason that hate crimes matter. Ask superdave about that one...it was probably the only well reasoned thought he has ever posted on this board.

Islamic terrorism defines an enemy: The infidel. That means you, me, anybody that doesn't believe in exactly what they believe...and that can even include other Islamic sects.

It goes beyond just killing people for economic gain...because only the wealthy fear economic criminals. It goes beyond killing someone who slept with your wife, because there is no shortage of targets.

Whether you agree with pinpointing Islamic terrorism as a threat or not is up to you. But there is a huge difference between Islamic terrorism and just plain old revenge.

16. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You have a point, but you missed the point. ITN has been bragging about W's record, "no acts of terrorism on US soil since 9/11." He's said this many times, and he's been called out on it, many times. Usually he ignores it but this is the first time we've seen the goal posts moved, so that W can take credit for "no acts of terrorism proven to be done by Islamic Arabs, since 9/11." Just shows you how weak W and his coalition are.

That said, why did ITN glom on the post 9/11 terrorism acts on US soil? I mean, abortion is still safe and legal, Osama is free, torture is OK, deficits don't matter.

The point is that W was a very bad president. The only hope for him to save his legacy is that he loses his hat.

17. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle

So are the groups that were killing abortion doctors and blowing up the abortion clinics not terrorists?

18. dogface

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For the sake of the record, Danny did specify Islamic terrorism.

But we could raise Timothy McVeigh and Theodore Kaczynski? The Weather Underground? Or the Bader-Meinhoff group in Germany?

Or the fact that Arabic terrorists in the 70's were Marxists, not Jihadists, like the Munich hijackers, who were members of the PFLP?

19. dogface

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ugh.

Of course it was terrorism.

And not all terrorism is automatically Muslim/Islamic.

20. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle

I didn't clarify that those terrorists I was speaking of also defined a common enemy.

21. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I agree with you. I was merely pointing out the difference between Islamic terrorism and whacko ted kazinski terrorism. There is a difference in how it affects people psychologically, which is why fighting it gets such polarized emotions from people. I can understand why people fear it and want to fight it, although I personally don't see it as a major threat. Now diabetes...there is a threat to mankind.

22. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weak? Both Democrat candidates have the following plan for fighting terrorism: RUN! Who precisely is weak here? If you want to elevate two lunatic illegal alien snipers in a Chevy Caprice AND some unknown New Jersey envelope chemical vandals at the same national threat level as Islamic Jihad that kills 15,000 civilians in a single instant that's your business. We, however, know the truth. There is only one guy that has prevented terrorism since 09.11.01 with demonstrated results and he is the current leader of our nation. The coalition he assembled is winning the War on Terror. Yeah I brag 'bout Bush's successful record of homeland security; who's sorry record you hanging your hat on?

There have been several "post 9/11 terrorism" attempts by Islamic Jihad terrorists; luckily the Bush Administration's proactive Homeland Defense security infrastructure has detected them and arrested the terrorists before such attempts have turned into actual attacks. Note well that this successful Homeland Defense infrastructure is precisely what Democrats wish to dismantle putting every American in harm's way! Insofar as the other milestones you cited; you're right, murdering children is still safe and legal and assuring that right is the Democrat's highest priority (note that President Bush did eliminate late-term abortions and appoint two SCOTUS judges to overturn RvW at a later time); Osama bin Laden has been utterly marginalized to a cave on the Afghani/Pakistani border to grow his beard long; torture of terrorists is in fact "okay" to safeguard American lives; and deficits are preferable to death in terms of national security.

The tremendous legacy of George W. Bush will be a safe and secure nation that he turns over to Democrats to threaten with their lunacy. Democrats argue with the homeland security that George W. Bush has ably provided to this nation yet when they are in power they will yearn for the Bush legacy of homeland defense. If a Democrat follows George W. Bush into the White House our total national security will consist of a hole in backyard to crawl into in despair; just be sure to dig it deep!

23. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    ..."Islamic Jihad that kills 15,000 civilians in a single instant"...?

You shouldnt need hyperbole. Reality is harsh enough. Perhaps you could explain this one?

Also, if we arent 'allowed' awareness of the domestic actions taken for our 'security', how can we intelligently debate their propriety, much less their effectiveness? So we cant create any causality between unknown methods and unknown outcomes. The outcome is unknown as well. The high profile cases thwarted have largely been later revealed as hyperbole as well. The 'Airline liquid mixers' was nothing, the 'Miami Sears Tower guys' was nothing, the 'five guys from Buffalo' was nothing, the 'dirty bomb' was nothing. The 'shoe bomber' was on the plane and couldnt light a match.

I cant say the 'unknown security measures' have, or have not, prevented 'unknown threats', and neither can you. The mere fact that '15.000' more civilians havent been killed is positive. It isnt equatable with cause.

This is why the telecom immunity is such a crock. It is merely designed to prevent the discovery needed to have informed debate. In a representative Republic informed debate IS the means of Government. It is not a luxury.

Now...15,000 civilians in a single instant?? When? Where? (other than Fallujah in Nov 2004)

24. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I alluded to the potentiality of a dirty bomb attack on this nation and least-order casualties on an urban center; if you wish I can scale upward for more likely higher-order casualties from that threat that Al Qaeda would love to visit upon us. However, should you just wish to stay with reality then the 2,998 civilians from the last Al Qaeda Islamic Jihad on American citizens should make my point clear.

25. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You started this thread as praise of W. Let's keep it on track. As one of the few extreme right-wing posters here, you should be able to critique W according to your right-wing checklist. After 8 years of W,

- abortion is safe, legal, and on demand. He doesn't care. He spent his political capital after 2004 election on privatizing social security.
    - Osama has not been brought to justice. Impotence.
    - Bush really screwed up the initial occupation of Iraq. Incompetence.
    - Illegal immigration. Amnesty!
    - coalition targets have been hit by Islamic terrorist in London, Bali, Madrid, Beirut. (Hey, you bring up Clinton's shortcomings wrt Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Yemen.)
    - Patriot Act. If it is design to thwart Islamic terrorists, why do I, clearly not Islamic or terrorist need to complete additional paperwork setting up my kids college funds, disclosing the nature of the investments to the federal government? Incompetence.
    - deficits do matter. Remember the last, other super-power? The Soviet Union collapsed under a combination of managerial incompetence and debt. Incompetence. (I can't stress this one, enough.)

I'm sure you are OK with the right-wing fantasy that renditions, imprisonment without charge or representation and torture help save American lives. You guys actually applaud it on national TV. Most other human beings find that repugnant, and those that know better (McCain) will remind us that torture does not produce effective results.

So W's legacy is that he is the debt, incompetence and torture president.