Fight in the River End a disgrace tonight

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by aztec21bas, Jul 29, 2011.

1. crosswiredmind

crosswiredmind BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2010
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I am not talking about potential season ticket holders. I am talking about connecting current season ticket holders to SoBs that would but single game tickets.

2. USRoverDE

USRoverDE Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to put in a purely selfish request here.

However the "issues" are fixed such that we try and root out idiots who are not SoBs getting into the river end, please also look out for someone like me.

I live 5 hours away. I'm not using my season tickets on a Wednesday night, heck, at best this year, I'm getting to 1/3 of the home games. I DO however, have a fairly small list of sensible people I allow to use my tickets in my absence. If those folks mess up, I'm taking the blame and losing my seats, I get it... but I should be allowed to hand my tickets off to someone resonsible, no? IE the show me your ID and make sure it lines up with the ticket name doesn't always work. (Maybe it does if I do the e-ticket transfer each game, but frankly, we've found it easier to just keep moving the ST cards around (plus I get more points that way!)

3. crosswiredmind

crosswiredmind BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2010
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have identified part of the problem - there isn't a centralized place for a season ticket holder to sell his or her unused tickets.

4. rmat17

rmat17 New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Wilmington
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is about the fight but the incident that started the fight was the bottle being thrown and there has been numerous times at games when bottles have been thrown. One way you can stop this is by having no botles at all!!!! Pour the beer into cups at the concession stand or if you get it form a vendor the vendor should pour it into the cup. Not hard to do and I know other stadiums do it. This is something I am surprised the team hasn't implemented since the couple of incedents last season.

5. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then people just trow cups, that won't change anything. The only way to fix this is to continue to implement the 'don't be an asshole' rule. It sounds like the team and security dealt with this with the severity that it warranted. A zero-tolerance policy for people committing such acts of stupidity is the only way to keep it from happening in the future. Make sure people know that they WON'T get away with this nonsense at PPL.

6. Sasquatch672

Sasquatch672 Member

May 11, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look - it happened. No one thinks it's cool or is proud of it. It shouldn't have happened, but it did. The SoB leadership will deal with it, but it's not their fault, it's not the team's fault, it's not StubHub's fault. It's the fault of a small number of individuals who have been, and will continue to be, dealt with (as harshly as possible, I think we all agree we hope).

But let's get real. We can all live without this ridiculous prudishness, and the ostentatious displays of astonishment that a fight could happen not just in the stadium but in the River End. We live in the world. People are drinking, some of them are young people, some of them are on the fringes of society. Some of them buy tickets off of StubHub, and I'll even go so far as to say that there are probably some members of the Sons of Ben that we wouldn't be comfortable holding elected office. Earlier this year, some idiot vomited on the daughter of an undercover police officer at a Phillies game. Are we not going to support the Phillies anymore? You see events several orders of magnitude worse than what happened on Friday night at any NFL tailgate, any week.

I'm tired of reading posts that talk about "I'll never take my niece to another game again" or "This was a DISGRACE", or "Everyone wearing a Union/SoB Jersey/tunic/insert article of clothing here should be ashamed", and every other form of hyperventilating that's gone on in the wake of this. The fact is, the SoBs are one of the most upstanding groups of fans in any sport in any city. The fight happened precisely because of those qualities. Thanks to our membership and our leadership, these will be isolated incidents.

Time to move past it, guys & gals. We have the Fire on Wednesday.

7. DoopTroop

DoopTroop New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

THIS x#of years NY doesn't win the cup into the future

8. AndyPace_SoB

AndyPace_SoB Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Levittown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is what needs to be done. it'll take time, and unfortunately more people being thrown out until the issue is resolved. i dont have season tickets, i also know that if i get thrown out, the person that was nice enough to send their tickets my way will lose them. im smart enough to know not to do anything (as hard as it may be to not run on the field and tackle the ref for his terrible judgement) because i dont want those people punished.

it may take others longer to realize that, or maybe go over the rules of TRE with the person before hand if youre letting them use your tickets. TRE is not a free for all, do whatever you please section. rules are rules, they need to be followed.

i was warned about leaning over the rail to verbally abuse opposing players, i dont do that anymore. common sense.

9. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Is that true? i always got the impression that there were usually open seats in TRE.

10. tehgraarg

tehgraarg Member

Feb 9, 2006
    West Berlin, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the allotment for season tickets is capped, so technically it is true. I think the empty seats are either people not showing or reserved for walk-ups/ single ticket sales.

11. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is. the Union ticket marketplace

12. TheAmazingZolo

Mar 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's unfortunate that something like this happened, but at the the same time I'm also glad to see that the Elders have stepped up and taken action. I'm not entirely sure that taking RE seats off of StubHub would be the absolute solution to this particular problem, as it has been stated that it was a regular that decided it was a good idea to go all Streets Of Rage on the Creeps. In the end I think it boils down to personal responsibility and monitoring how much oneself consumes in the course of a day. Limiting the number of alcoholic beverages one can buy at the stadium might work, but I doubt it would be good for business and probably wouldn't be feasible, either, as it doesn't take into account whatever may have been consumed at the tailgate.

In conclusion, I blame Bearfights.

1 person likes this.
  13. Sasquatch672

Sasquatch672 Member

May 11, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With this level of soul searching, you would have thought the SoVs murdered the Pope. Let's give it up already. I agree with your post.

14. TheAmazingZolo

Mar 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It took me over 4 hours to write this, first draft entirely on paper with a quill pen

15. UnionBoysForLife

UnionBoysForLife New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I want to take a moment to stop and thank the SoBs top brass, the SoB members, the Illegitamates, and members of Bearfight for all of their concern, help, and support during this unfortunate event in Union history. This could have been a very tough time for us [The Corner Creeps], but everyone's help and concern has made it much less troublesome and stressful.

And, more importantly, I have spoken with my two fellow Creeps who were involved in the incident, detained that night, and charged with disorderly conduct. They are both doing well and send their regards and thank yous to everyone as well. They were equally overwhelmed with the outpouring of support the last few days.

The Creeps and myself thank everyone for being as good as you could be during all of this nonsense! Good on ya!

And, even Amobi Okugo checked in with one of our Creeps to see if everyone was ok! Isn't that something!?!

1 person likes this.
  16. steelcap77

steelcap77 New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The biggest problem with the incident in question here, is that security and the police waited until people were swinging before intervening. If they had gotten between the 2 sides when it was only verbal, things would not have escalated as they did. I stood behind 3 cops on the stairs up to the deck with my beer before the 2nd bottle was thrown. I made it to my seat in J and had time to realize what was going on before security was anywhere near the seats at the fight. I was the only one walking up the steps before the fight. No security coming up or down the stairs. They just waited till people got hurt instead of quickly defusing the situation, which moving the instigators to another area might have prevented.

Just my 2 cents.

Yea, at least one SoB came from 3 sections over BEFORE any fighting had broken out to try to get things under control. That is the kind of representative that I am proud to support, and who supports us fans.

17. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Correct. I needed another ticket on Friday and called my ticket rep who told me that the stadium was sold out except in the RE (several seats were still available in 139 and 140). Told me to go on-line @ the union website and gave me the code to buy RE seats.

The RE season seat allocation should therefore not be capped. They should all be sold to SOB's without running the risk that a non-SOB gets to know the code and buys a seat.

18. Sasquatch672

Sasquatch672 Member

May 11, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a practice, I wouldn't advocate this. Even a cop got hit - no reason to think that an unfamiliar SoB was going to have an effect. I think that as a rule, a smaller group of people involved necessarily limits the damage done. Even the Elders are unrecognizable to most people, and I'm telling you, the idiot(s) responsible already demonstrated they had no respect for real authority...the appearance of an SoB elder wasn't going to make them change their mind.

If you wear the autographed helmet, you sit right in front of me. I also wish that Security had been there before the thing lit off into a melee, but I'm sure that they had their reasons as well. Not saying they did an outstanding job - they didn't, nine people were arrested and the right number was one or two with an early intervention - but they'll learn from this, probably more than we will.

19. DoopTroop

DoopTroop New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Can we just have Hugh Jackman as security every game?

20. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    No - that will just have all the women in the stadium, including my wife get into fights just so he takes them away.

21. three20three

three20three Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we'd have a bunch of idiots egging their drunk friend on:
    "Hey Tommy... I bet you could kick wolverine's ass!"

22. USRoverDE

USRoverDE Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You, sir, need a stronger pimp hand to control that woman of yours.

23. KMac82588

KMac82588 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Haddonfield, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hhahahahahaha. This was totally happen. Thanks for the laugh. :D

24. jimlogue

jimlogue Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Medford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way Tommy Ro could take him. He is the freakin Wolverine!!!

25. Coonpath

Coonpath Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Shamong, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah but he's a communist!