FIFA's Stance on Cross-Border Leagues

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The ASEAN region within the AFC is scheduled to launch a Super League across several of its member associations in 2016. The last step is apparently FIFA approval after everyone else is on board:
    http://news.asiaone.com/news/sports/football-1-calendar-rule-them-all

I was under the impression that cross-border competition is purely a matter for the confederation in question unless cross-confederation? (Ex. New Zealand in Australia). If the AFC has already blessed this proposed super league why does FIFA need to get involved? Anyway, it's an interesting concept that could be applied elsewhere - such as the Caribbean for example.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really just to align schedules (all leagues start around the same time) not about creating a cross country super league, at least not yet.

You are right, not sure why FIFA would need to get involved.

I know the Women'n League in the Netherlands and Belgium is going to split back up after this season (a shame IMO).

AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yes, this article is mainly about the schedule alignment but the ASEAN Super League has been in planning since 2013. It now appears the FIFA ExCo will take a call on it in May. I would like to know why.

From last year:
    http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3952/asia/2014/07/04/4924836/asean-super-league-in-the-hands-of-fifa

4. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I think it is to recognize the newly created ASEAN Football Federation. I guess FIFA treates them like a new member.
    FIFA approval means that the AFF has actual power.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As far as I can tell the AFF has been around since 1984. Australia was the last association to join in 2013.

I just don't understand why FIFA needs to approve a cross-border competition that is strictly within the Asian Football Confederation. It was my understanding all along that unless a competition spans two confederations or more it is solely the call of the confederation in question - in this case the AFC. The AFC seems to support this ASEAN Super League so why FIFA's involvement? Unless the AFC are second-guessing their stance and referred it to get a second opinion?

Just when you think you understand football governance.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No news here. I guess FIFA have other things on their mind right now. One reason I can think of why FIFA needs to be involved is player registration. I believe the USSF as the "home" association for MLS handles the player registration of the (guest) Canadian teams - confirmation or denial welcome. In this case there is no host/guest relationship established, it's equal representation. Registration would have to be done by the league?

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Really not sure what's happening with this 'Super' League.

I recall it was going to be like a franchise system, so clubs in the local leagues wouldn't actually play. They would be new sides altogether, which I think was opposed by teams such as Buriram who would want the chance to play and conquer (Buriram have the muscle to field two sides like they did effectively with Buriram PEA and Buriram United a few years ago).

Not sure how it all works with FIFA approval, we do after all have Singapore Lions playing in Malaysia, Brunei DPM playing in Singapore.

We then also have the Mekong Club Championship played last year and the Singapore Cup that invites neighbouring countries.

A Super League in the region, really for myself isn't required. S.League really would struggle. Might aswell have Harimau Muda, Brunei DPMM and Albirex Niigata who play in that league in there.

9. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Is this kind of like Europa League in UEFA?

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    No, just a home and away league system....possibly played by Franchise teams.
    In Singapore you could have Lions XII play in it instead of the Malaysian league. They're talks that this would kill off the S.League if teams like Tampines or Warriors play in it as I guess the league is set to run against most domestic leagues.

If it starts in August you have all domestic leagues practically half way through the season and teams play roughly twice a week.

The bad thing is, no one knows any details of who will take part.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No, there is nothing like it. This proposed league is a permanent "Super League" across several countries in the ASEAN region - replacing the domestic league for the clubs involved. Yes, you have some teams playing in a neighbour's league but here we are talking 8-10 countries without a clear "host".

Apparently FIFA has approved the league and is drafting the regulatory framework. Would love to hear more about this as it could serve as a blue print for other such super leagues in the future. I used to be staunchly against the concept but now think it may make sense in some cases.

Still lots of question marks around this ASEAN Super League:
    http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/f...d-if-lionsxii-will-play-in-asean-super-league

12. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
  13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    An update:
    http://news.asiaone.com/news/sports/lionsxii-asean-super-league

So January 2017 now looks more likely.

14. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    #15 happy, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    http://www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/features/asean-super-league-plans-clear-singapore-sky

The ASL is set to lose severals members before it even start

Cambodia, east timor and Laos r pulling out as they refused to pay us$5 million to play in it

It also becoming a joke as thailand send (soon to bee)a div 2 team, phillpines their u23 & malaysia their u18

-------
    Funding woes hit asean league

Cambodia have added to the uncertainty surrounding the ASEAN Super League (ASL), threatening to skip the proposed 2016 kick-off owing to funding issues. Football Federation of Cambodia vice-president, Khiev Sameth, told The Sunday Times that the country will not be fielding a team as sponsors have not been forthcoming."I understand each franchise will cost around US$5 million (S$7.1 million) to run," said Sameth, who is also the vice-president of the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF), which is the organising body of the ASL."We don't have that kind of money. If we cannot get financial support, Cambodia will have to skip the first season at least.

"It is believed that the franchise price tag includes travel expenses - given the league's home-and-away format - and a bank guarantee.Sources said Timor Leste and Laos face similar problems sourcing for sponsors.This piles the pressure on the ASL, touted as a game-changer featuring at least one side from each of the 12 AFF member nations, excluding Australia.This newspaper reported in July that Malaysia and Thailand are concerned that the ASL will draw fans and media attention away from their strong domestic leagues.

While the ASL's organisers privately insist that they retain the two countries' support, sources said talks have hit a stalemate over the quality of the teams they will send.The Thais have proposed fielding Bangkok-based team Port FC, currently 15th in the 18-team Thai Premier League. Malaysian academy Frenz United have also been in discussions to send their Under-18 outfit.The Philippines, meanwhile, are set to be represented by their national U-23 side, as it is focused on launching its own domestic league by early 2017.

There is also uncertainty over Indonesia's participation as their football association is currently suspended from international competitions by world football governing body Fifa.First mooted in 2007, the ASL is fronted by the AFF and its marketing partners World Sport Group.

Football Association of Singapore president Zainudin Nordin is heading the AFF committee working on the mechanics of the new league, such as its composition and fixtures.The LionsXII, currently competing in the Malaysian Super League, are expected to be Singapore's representatives, while the Singapore's Under-23 side, the Young Lions, could swop the S-League for Malaysian competition.

The ASL is still waiting for Fifa to finalise regulations for a framework for proposed regional leagues globally.A decision is not expected any time soon. The Zurich organisation already has its plate full combating internal corruption and preparing for a special presidential election in February when incumbent Sepp Blatter steps down.

AFF general secretary Azzuddin Ahmad previously said that the ASL is on track to kick off its debut eight-month campaign in August next year.This looks increasingly unlikely, especially if major players like Malaysia and Thailand continue to hold out while other member nations like Cambodia struggle to find the resources to compete.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, basically, a novel and promising concept is being muddled because a) the organizers did not secure a clear and unanimously supported structure for the league and its place within the regional landscape, and b) because they didn't do that they can't confirm the budgets and thus by extension secure sponsors and owner commitments, right?

A shame since this has potential, especially as a template for regional leagues in other parts of the world featuring clusters of smaller and poorer nations.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Wellington Phoenix in ASEAN Super League?:
    http://www.espnfc.com/blog/football...asey-could-asean-super-league-help-wellington

Of course that wouldn't solve the issue of having a OFC team in Asia. @Paul Calixte - Singapore's LionsXII are also locked out of the CWC by playing in Malaysia.

There are now rumors of a Caribbean Super League in May 2016:
    http://www.socawarriors.net/caribbe...bbean-league-promoters-look-at-may-start.html

Although it looks more like a 'tournament' in the mold of the Indian Super League.

18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive my ignorance, but is that up to Malaysia not sharing its spots, or an AFC decision (i.e. Singapore not "qualifying" to have a team play in the AFC Champions League)?

CONCACAF and the CFU have paid lip service to a pan-Caribbean league for years now, but travel costs have always been the sticking point. Hell, CONCACAF had to commit to $40,000 travel grants for every away trip in the Champions League to get the Caribbean on board with its expansion.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We've certainly reached a point where the management of the pro/semi-pro game in smaller nations must be reviewed so that something like either of these options gets an opportunity to see if the business can evolve. This will eventually (if it isn't already) become a major obstacle to how FIFA evolves, by demonstrating a means of balancing the needs and goals of such disparate factions - The larger nations with prominent professional leagues and aspirations vs those with extremely limited means and options. I'm not sure that travel stipends to artificially support a team or league is the best option, but I do think that investment can be made to foster new leagues and teams if there is a viable business model.

So where does that next phase of this discussion begin? Is it simply left to the nations and confederations or should FIFA be more proactive? Would the ASEAN model be more easily repeated elsewhere?

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Much like the talk of Celtic and Rangers to the Prem there's a degree to which this idea makes sense, with everyone dreaming of a deeper pool of top teams playing each other more regularly. However I'd be very wary of the precedent because it would likely mean an escalating arms race among leagues that would eventually leave more of the have-nots in Europe further behind. For instance, if La Liga did pull off the merger and used that to raise their global profile and revenues, then you could stir the aforementioned British merger, see the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 consider partners... next thing you know the smaller leagues are left further adrift financially and rendered all but insignificant.

Thus, any time this comes up I've favored a cap on the size of the nations that could participate in such a scheme. Say, 10-15 million people. This way the idea would be having any merged leagues creating a chance to be more a peer to the established major leagues of today, rather than consolidating the power at the top. True, it would mean Portugal might have to go far to find a partner and it still doesn't work for everyone, but at least this would prevent the biggest nations from becoming more powerful in this sense.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not sure we will see an Iberian League without Catalan independence first. To me the above is Portugal ensuring they will be part of it. I do think we are getting close to a proper cross-border league, be it ASEAN, Caribbean or European. And by proper I mean not the current scenario of a league hosting a few guest clubs. Of course as stipulated in the various ASL articles, the regulations for such a league haven't been written. Everybody is quick to point out the obvious issues such as international competitions and - where applicable - promotion and relegation. But what about the finer details such as player registration? Does such a league feed into the confederation directly without a national association layer?

24. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your concern with this, but there shouldn't be any cap. I'd prefer a case by case basis. After all, those SEA nations are some of the most populous in the World, but none of the leagues are all that great.