FIFA's Passport tickets requirement

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by DGNB, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Does anyone else find the passport requirement the most annoying of FIFA's hoops to jump through? My application is delayed because one of the 3 members of my party doesn't have his passport yet. My cousin is in the same boat. I understand that FIFA is trying to prevent scalping but this is getting ridiculous. Why can't a driver's license count instead? I don't see too many scalpers selling tickets and throwing in a couple of fake drivers licenses to go with it so that you can get into the stadium.

2. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Why don't your friends have their passports yet? It doesn't take that long and you're going to need one to get to Germany in the first place. It makes sense to me that they would require a passport and not a driver's license since passports are basically the same worldwide, whereas driver's licenses are not. A little planning beforehand could have avoided this problem.

3. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah, but they have till june to get one. People should be able to apply for tickets and get the passport later. It is the christmas season and getting a passport for June isn't necessarily on people's minds.

4. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia

My mate has not renewed his passport yet, but had the opportunity to get tst for croatia. So what could he do? Not apply? He got the tiks and will sort out the rest later!

5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Maybe news to you but most people in the Western Worldd ctually have a passport all the time as they venture outside their country more than once a lifetime..... :rolleyes:

FIFA will obviously only accept an ID that is a Internationally recognised one, it's not difficult to work that out, plus the details of what they needed never change. If your mate had been sensible he could of found out months ago what was needed and got organised.......bit of common sense.......

6. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    It does seem a bit hard going though, having to get a passport first, in order to apply for tickets when you're then far from certain to actually get any tickets. Presumably there are a huge number of applicants who aren't going to end up going to Germany at all.

7. Melbourne Croatia

May 21, 2005
    Croatia
    Only 5% of people in the USA have paasports!

8. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What the??? :confused: Mexico?Canada?All driving distance!

9. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    If I recall correctly, you don't need a passport to visit those countries. I know you don't need one for the Bahamas/Jamaica/etc.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal about getting a passport regardless of whether or not you will actually go to Germany. What will you do if you quickly need to leave the country ? :D

10. SoccerKicks

SoccerKicks Member

Dec 31, 2004
    I think starting in 07? you will need a passport for Canada and Mexico as well. I don't know when it comes into effect exactly, but it is relatively soon.

On another note...you can get a passport in 7-8 days if you have it expedited. It costs $140 or so, but if you want to get in on this phase of tickets it can be easily done.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I thought of this possible solution--just bring your expired passport to the game as well as your new one. Even if they check the number (which I doubt they will for 95% of the people going in, at most they MIGHT check the name on the ticket), they're not going to deny you entry to the stadium because your passport is expired especially if you have a valid one as well and explain the situation.

12. Honey9

Honey9 New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Honolulu
    I believe you have to send in your old passport with your renewel application for a new one.
    not like DL where they just hole punch it.

13. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What i don't get is why the hell in this day and age does somebody not have a passport.......my 8 yr old even has one!!

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I think you can get the old one back, though.

15. Fleck

Fleck New Member

May 14, 2004
    Sacramento
    I didnt get one until this summer, and im 22. A lot of people just dont travel outside of the country, and paying 50+ dollars to get a passport when you dont plan on using it is kind of a waste of money.

16. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Quite an obnoxious response from you I have to say. What do you honestly know of the situation? For your information, his lack of a passport has not been due to a lack of attempts on his part, but due to the ineptitude of the INS. As for travelling, he is originally from Congo, I am sure someone of your superior intellect can find that on a map, so he has travelled just a bit.

Frankly, I am not sure what in my post warranted such an assinine response. Maybe your girl left you, or your mom finally kicked you out of the house, but you really should learn to control your mouth, especially when you make comments about a situation you do not know. If you did not like my question about FIFA's rules, eat a D*ck, you didn't have to respond to it. Just skip it and move on to the next subject.

17. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    all you need for those 2 countries is a us driver's license

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's good for 10 years.

That's $5 a year. I'd rather pay $5 a year for something I just might need.
    Umm, last time I checked you can't just fly to Canada and Mexico with a drivers license.

19. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    As far as Mexico, there's a little more to it and we don't want someone to have to pay a "payolla" fee someday, that's what they mean by "avoiding misunderstandings", for the most part.. ;) From the US State Dept..

"ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico. However, U.S. citizens have encountered difficulty in boarding flights in Mexico without a passport. The U.S. Embassy recommends traveling with a valid U.S. passport to avoid delays or misunderstandings. However, U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy (not a simple photocopy) of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable. U.S. citizens boarding flights to Mexico should be prepared to present one of these documents as proof of U.S. citizenship, along with photo identification. Driver's permits, voter registration cards, affidavits and similar documents are not sufficient to prove citizenship for readmission into the United States.

U.S. citizens do not require a visa or a tourist card for tourist stays of 72 hours or less within "the border zone," defined as an area between 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the U.S., depending on the location. U.S. citizens traveling as tourists beyond the border zone or entering Mexico by air must pay a fee to obtain a tourist card, also known as an FM-T, available from Mexican consulates, Mexican border crossing points, Mexican tourism offices, airports within the border zone and most airlines serving Mexico. The fee for the tourist card is generally included in the price of a plane ticket for travelers arriving by air. "

20. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Some people are residents of this country, not citizens and with the security and fears after 9/11, the process to get a passport has slowed to a snail's pace.

My friend has been trying to get a passport for awhile now. He was supposed to have one month's ago (as he has been offered a job by a renowned architecture firm in Barcelona, Spain. Therefore he needs a passport to leave the country to work, but he considers himself an American and doesn't want to apply for an EU passport. Despite the fact that he is not Arab, he is from Congo, his passport still isn't here yet. So apparently they are slowing the process for everyone, not jsut if your country is on a state department list.

21. soccereconomist

soccereconomist New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    How is it possible to buy tix on razorgator and other ticket sites? How will they get around the passport rule?

22. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I used to go party in Tijuana at night when I lived in California and all we needed was a license, it very well may have changed, that was 5 years ago. I have neevr been further south than that, so you are probably correct with the boarding flights rules.

23. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But you can drive across the border without passports.

24. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I've been told they sell "Corporate Sponser" tickets, which don't come with a names on them. Sounds like a good story. Of coarse then you have to ask, how did razorgator, etc. get these? Why would FIFA giveawy tickets to sponser who scalp them?

25. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Well actually I commented on the situation as I know of it being a fan living in Europe who goes to a heck of a lot of games here. plus knowing full well from the FIFA website that you need a passport to apply for games. It's not rocket science - if you've been sorting out a trip for that long, surely the first thing you do is find out the regulations for tickets.

Oh - and you've picked the wrong person to try and throw "look at a map" bullsh1t to. I was in the southern Congo last year, so yes I know full well where it is. If he has travelled "just a bit" why the heck doesn't he have a passport????? You're not making sense.......