FIFA WPY Sign the Petition [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by PassItOn, Sep 12, 2008.

1. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    If you haven't done so, please go to the ABola site, and sign the petition to make our own CR FIFA World Player of the Year.
    Let's push this way over the top, and make our voices heard.

http://www.abola.pt/cr7/

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    erm, WPOTY is voted by the coach and captain of every federation in the World, you think they care about A Bola in the far east or Africa or even other European nations? A Bola is rediculous for doing this, I bet if he wins they will try to take credit too.

I don't see why anyone ever would need to petition for someone to be voted the best in the World, either he is viewed that way or he isn't. Safe bet that he is.

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    It's called "Lobbying". It happens in all facets in life, like or not.

4. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    And to make sure that our neighbors petition doesnt go unchallenged ;)

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm familiar with the term. I'm going to pass, I think the whole things is lame. If lobbying is what hands awards, then the award is not worth winning. Luckily Ronaldo will win it because of what he's done and not because a newspaper wants to send signitures to everyoen with a vote. I wouldn't be surprised if some voters change their mind and vote against Ronaldo just because they feel like they are being told who to vote for. Lobbying won't really do shit but make A Bola think they're worth something when Ronaldo does win.

For me if A Bola wanted to do a petition they should take recent vids of Deco and send them out and ask for voters to look at him, thats an actual case worth mentioning since he was robbed in 2004.

6. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    This was a request, you either accept or you don't. Very simple.

If you think that lobbying has no impact, then you live in a land of make believe. I'm totally for it, because if CR doesn't win it would be ridiculous. I've been through many years where players that didn't deserved it didn't earn it Figo for instance in 98 or 99 while at Barca (not sure), deserved it and didn't win, he only won it when he joined Real (where it was acctually a toss up). Now tell me that Real had the media, and lobbying had nothing to do with it.

7. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    I remember Rivaldo saying if Figo was Brasilian he would have won it more then once...

8. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I remember it well.
    If people don't think lobbying goes on in soccer, they really are only fans, and don't know the ins and outs. Not that I agree with it, but even at the club level, specially with the top 3 teams, agents constantly lobby the managers, and directors for playing time.

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Never said that Lobbying has no impact just in this case it doesn't as Ronaldo is the clear front runner. I also made the statement that I personally would take a pass on the petition everyone else is more then free to do so I don't understand what your trying to perpetuate.

10. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Well I signed and I'm gonna give Ronaldo a call to make sure he thanks me personally for helping him receive this reward.

11. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Glad you feel so positive on him winning it (I do as well), but that's not allways the case.

I believe ABola are voters, and I complement them on taking up this issue.

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They are voters for the Balon D'or not WPOTY. If you want to compliment them on this play then it was a great PR and Marketing move on their part. But trust me that's all it is.

I'm saving this ->:rolleyes:<- for A bola if they have the nerve and balls to take any credit when Ronaldo wins.

13. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Duh, their a newspaper. Marketing, and PR are their business. Now why would they want to take credit for something everyone feels CR deserves is a joke.
    Their allready on a list of very few that partner with FIFA for this event, so their getting plenty of Marketing, and PR.

"FIFA's partners in this venture are the sports equipment manufacturer adidas and European Sports Magazines, a group of internationally renowned sports publications consisting of A Bola (Portugal), Don Balon (Spain), Foot Magazine/Voetbal Magazine (Belgium), France Football (France), La Gazzetta dello Sport (Italy), Kicker (Germany), Voetbal International (Netherlands) and World Soccer (England)."

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly my point this is a publicity stunt nothing more. Like a chain letter that if you don't send it then you hate Ronaldo funny part is those that do sign don't actually help him in any way shape or form other then padding his ego when A Bola tells him we had this many people sign a pointless petition for you. Sorry, I have no say in this award NONE OF US DO. It is specific to coaches and captains so signing a petition is just lame IMO.

15. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ &amp; PA
    Dude, you could have just signed the petition and have been done with it, lol! I dont know about the rest but I know this petition is useless and I know it wont impact anything...I just want to beat the Spaniards Casillas petition:D

16. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I honestly don't think it's useless, if it was Record or OJogo doing it, yes.

ABola are a few select sponsors, and do have some prestige, I know the petition alone won't do much, but if ABola exec's do carry out their lobby, it will get done.

17. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I still don't understand how it's even debateable. No player in World Football had a better year than Cristiano. He had a season for the ages.

18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    NOW THAT IS A CAUSE! :D

19. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  20. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Considering Fabio Cannavaro won it 2 years ago I wouldnt be surprised. The voting is a joke.