FIFA World Ranking

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by jonny63, Mar 17, 2006.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Gap between 1&2 grows
    Germany continues their unprecedented fall
    Italy poised to keep climbing
    Our "100 points to 1" index just barely drops from 6 to 5 with the small slip from Canada
    Interesting to see the effect of WCQ for a lot of island nations!

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Crossing fingers about that, because Italy's group at Euro 2022 is quite tough. :ninja:

kolabear repped this.
  3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    A record 185 nations appear in this edition. Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Guinea-Bissau & Turkmenistan are newly ranked.

Pelefan and blissett repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Good Euro displays for England and Germany means they both should now be in Pot 1 for the WC draw.

toad455 repped this.
  5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The top 6 ranked teams will join hosts Australia and New Zealand as the seeded teams in Pot 1 in the World Cup draw.
    Netherlands was #6 in the last official rankings and... I think they just blew it today by losing to Norway with a starting lineup which omitted Gronen, van de Donk, Nouwen, van der Gragt, Janssens, Beerensteyn (in addition to Miedema and Martens who I think are out with injuries)

It's very very close so don't take my estimates as anything other than rough estimates, but my back-of-the-envelope calculations show
    #6 Canada 1999!!! (last official rating 1987)
    #7 Spain 1998!!! (last official 1983)
    #8 Netherlands 1995!!! (last official 2003)
    #9 Brazil 1990! (last official 1976)

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Doesn't take anything away from your analysis, but I guess Beerensteyn was out because her mom have just died, so it wasn't technical choice (more similar to the injured players by this point of view).

kolabear repped this.
  7. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #1483 Lechus7, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    Ranking 13th October 2022 (link)

Spain is now in pot 1 for WWC draw
    Korea DPR needs to play interntional match (or 5? :unsure:) before next ranking (Feb/Mar) or they will drop into non-ranked limbo. (can't recall if they are compliant with WADA anyway)
    Chile is now up over Chinese Taipei (intercontinental play-off draw)

Ranking(13thOct22).jpg

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just a single match will keep them active. You only need the five to enter the rankings in the first place. That's why you would previously have lots of teams pop into the rankings from just 2 or 3 WCQ matches every four years.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    North Korea doesn't have any friendlies scheduled, so they should drop come the next rankings.

kribi and blissett repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    None of the February tournaments have been set yet, and all they need to do is join one of those, so I wouldn't count them out yet at all

blissett repped this.
  11. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Russia might be interested in playing against them.:cautious:

blissett repped this.
  12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    or Belarus...

toad455 and blissett repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, I figure that the friendly those two played in just this past window is mostly for activity-preservation, so it would make total sense for DPK to look to them as possibilities for the same.

blissett repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One thing that I don't think has really been pointed out anywhere around the board explicitly yet: while we knew that ranks 6 to 9 would be close based on kolabear's Oct11 post, the WC pot 1 cutoff came down to just about the narrowest margin you could possibly get:
    6 - ESP - 1997.74
    7 - CAN - 1997.31

That's less than half a point difference! We're not even talking shifting a goal difference by one, we're talking the same GD but shifting the total goals around (i.e. less than the difference between a 2-1 result and a 3-2 result).

kolabear, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And on a related note, just because it's come up in another thread - I now noticed that the "100pts to 1st place" metric we've looked at before now extends down to 9th place when it's never gone past 6th in the past.

kolabear, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If we had "live rankings", Germany would now be on top. USA hasn't quite dropped below Sweden but it's close and could easily happen tomorrow with AUSvSWE. Three loses in a row, these errors on the backline are just killing the USWNT.

toad455, JanBalk, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Youth program right on schedule.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can't wait to see it happen in actual "non virtual" rankings. It's basically since I closely follow women's football (2011; only followed it from time to time before that year), that I don't have the pleasure to see a change at the top.

Believe it or not, I wish it more for statistical reasons than for anything else! :geek:

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1495 Cliveworshipper, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022

Well, if you started following in 2011, you did see a brief change at the top twice. Germany was on top the rankings for the first two Quarters of 2015 and again for the second quarter of 2017 after the USA came in last in the second she believes Cup. The USA regained the top slot after winning the 2015 WWC and after qualifying wins in 2017.

what you haven’t seen is anybody but Germany or the USA holding the top slot, but that isn’t because you started following late. It hasn’t happened ever in the history of the Womens ranking, which began halfway through 2004.

the real news for the good old yewesay is if they drop below second place in the ranking. That’s never happened before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Women's_World_Rankings

blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, but it was too brief for me to really notice! :p

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sweden will absolutely not be entering the top two after getting utterly mollywhopped by Australia, 4-0

blissett and lil_one repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, well, I guess I am doomed to see USA within top 2 for the rest of my life. :(

I suppose England, who have just beaten Japan with a similar 4-0 score, are nowhere close to 2nd place. :cautious:

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    no worries. If the USA keeps cycling through inexperienced youngsters on the back line you’ll get your wish and it won’t take a lifetime.

blissett repped this.
  24. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    England was less than 36 points behind USA in the last World Ranking so they can overtake the USA after the February tournaments.

SiberianThunderT, toad455 and blissett repped this.