Fifa World Player of the Year - 2002

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by usain2010, Jul 25, 2002.

1. JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rio Ferdinand.

He is an excellent defensive player and also shows consistency.

Ronaldo's been back 5 minutes and people think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Give Owen a similar number of chances to score goals and see how he does.

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You mean the way they nearly all end up in Row Z?

3. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Another vote for Riquelme. Wait 'till you see this guy play!

4. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    the revised shortlist as of august 31 2002

Ronaldo- fifas favorite for the award, the original phenomenon, still trying to regain his orginal ability but nontheless had a great world cup

Diouf- rising superstar, a phenomenon, full of skill and a unique repitoire of tricks, did everything but score a goal at the world cup

Ballack- one of the best midfielders in europe, had a great year with Leverkusen and lead Germany to the final, skillfull, efficient, and a leader on the field

Rio Ferdinand- great defender with excellent technical ability and superb ball skills, had a great world cup, and hopefully will have a great season with manchester united

Ronaldinho- after rising from obscurity with his famous goal against venezuela while playing in a youth world championship, his star seemed to fade... did have a good second half to the season with PSG... his real claim to fame should be at this world cup where he was my player of the tournament hes the complete player he can do it all and his hair style is just sic i really think the award should go to this guy

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: best 4

How does a World Cup and Golden Boot winner get overrated? The Phenom scored in almost every match.

Friend, the Game has seen many decent strikers since Fontaine's day. Not even Pele was able to break the record. Maradona, Rossi, Klinsmann, Lineker... none of Pele's runners-up were able to do it either. An aberration, that's what it was. Like Bob Beamon's long jump.

You fail to realize just how much the Game has changed since Fontaine worked his magic. Teams don't attack anymore like they used to. The day of four and five forwards are over. The catenaccio (sp?) killed what was left. The only objective left is to lead one's team to the Cup. Ronaldo did that.

I suspect Adidas, Puma, Lotto, Kappa and Diadora "own"
    a few athletes of their own. Why single out Nike? Aside from making uniformly ugly uniforms, they've committed no crime against soccer.

6. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    In order:
    1. Ballack
    2. Ronaldo
    3.Kahn
    4. Raul
    5. Zidane

7. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    My top pick would be Rivaldo or Zidane. I think Rivaldo will have a great season at Milan.

8. Rabon

Rabon New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Madrid. SPAIN
    Like i read in some newspapers.
    This year the F.W.P.Y. 2002 is going to be WHITE.

1-Roberto Carlos (most probably)
    2-Raul
    3-Zidane
    4-Ballack
    5-Ronaldo
    956-Khan

9. silahsiz kuvvet

silahsiz kuvvet New Member

Sep 12, 2002
    istanbul
    Come on guys what about Hasan Sas and Yildiray Basturk.

10. Nobby

Nobby New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    1. Michael Ballack
    2. Ronaldo
    3. Raul
    4. Oliver Khan
    5. Fernando Hierro
    6. Hasan Sas
    7. Rio Ferdinand
    8. Roberto Carlos
    9. El Hadji Diouf
    10. Rivaldo
    11. Yilderay Basturk

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Roberto Carlos is probably mixed. :p

12. Rabon

Rabon New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Madrid. SPAIN

Is like a coffe with milk :D

13. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    a phenomenon?
    dioif is a foward who did not score a goal in the world cup
    very impressive

kuffour should have been african player of the year

14. Itchy

Itchy Red Card

Oct 2, 2002
    Shevchenko or Henry

15. silahsiz kuvvet

silahsiz kuvvet New Member

Sep 12, 2002
    istanbul
    Yildiray BASTURK
    Hasan SAS

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's over, Ronaldo just wrapped it up today.

As long as he's healthy and scoring the occasional goal for Real Madrid he'll win it thanks to his World Cup and the fact that he's a huge sentimental favorite.

Robert

17. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
  18. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Michael Ballack deserves to win. He had a great world cup, 3 goals 4 assists, and he led Bayer Leverkussen to a great season as well. Although Ronaldo was sensational during the world cup, thats about the only time he played, due to injury. I think the winner should be someone who played at a high level over the couse of the entire year. Also, Ronaldo should lose points for that horrible haircut he had.

19. Jester&ni

Jester&ni New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Spanish in England
    Look at Raul and think why a such talented player has never won this award...

20. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    1. Kahn
    2. Ronaldo
    3. Ballack
    4. Raul
    5. Roberto Carlos
    6. Zidane

21. RomaDcUnitedSaoPaulo

Sep 22, 2002
    i hate MetroScum
    Best player of the tourny.. hands down...

ME!

22. gabe

gabe New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    NJ
  23. Merengue

Merengue New Member

Nov 4, 1999
    San Diego
    It's actually a very interesting choice for World player of the year this year. Typically the winner in a World Cup year is the dominant player in the World Cup. This year that was Ronaldo (I don't care if Kahn won the award as top player, how can you not give it to a guy who scored 8 goals in the tourney and won the title?!?!) but Ronaldo barely played for Inter in the first half of the year and so far in the second half he has been a disaster with Real Madrid.

Kahn had that great World Cup and did well in the first half with Bayern but his error was so costly in the year's biggest match (WC Final) and Bayern has been Europe's biggest disappointment this fall.

The same logic applies to Ballack. He did well in the first half of the season and in the World Cup but the second half has been disappointing for him.

Zidane missed out on the World Cup for all intents and hasn't been too brilliant with Madrid this fall.

Raul was great for Madrid and Spain(and his injury in my view probably cost Spain a semifinal spot in the World Cup) but he too has been a bit down this fall.

Maybe that does leave it open for a guy like Roberto Carlos who won both the Champion's League and the World Cup this year. Plus he has been solid for Real Madrid this fall. If van Nistelrooy had been doing better this fall, he could have slipped in there since no one else is really standing out but he's also not shining this fall.

Henry has been very good for Arsenal but had a poor World Cup. Ronaldinho did well in the World Cup but wasn't too good for PSG in the spring. Rivaldo perhaps if he can shine for Milan this fall or how about Inzaghi who is scoring a boatload of goals?

It really is wide open.

24. Mackannovic

Mackannovic New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Oliver Kahn could be in the running but is he only being judged on his world cup contribution or did he play well all year round.

Players like Beckham and Figo should definitely be nowhere near the running because they aren't even the best players at their clubs in terms of contribution and use of the ball:REAL MADRID-ZIDANE,MAN UTD-ROY KEANE(by a mile or two or three or four or......)

Roberto Carlos is good but a world player of a year he is not.

Ronaldo missed most of the season with Inter Milan came back and had a good world cup but its not "PLAYER OF THE WORLD CUP" is it.

If its consistency you are after then pick Dietmar Hamann but then again he doesn't show alot of flair but does what needs to be done and plays the game simple.

Pires was amazing for Arsenal ast season and recieved player of the year without even finishing the season.

Until Clint Mathis plays in a proper league i.e. England,Spain,Italy or Germany he has no chance to prove he is worthy of such a title or to even get any international praise.

Zidane was good for Real last season his goal in the championsleague final summed up just how good he was and still is but no world cup but if we are judging players on a basis that if you miss 7 games in the year you aren't good enough to win it then he's not but he is and I think people are inclined to go against the obvious and won't vote for Zidane BUT CAN YOU THINK OF ANYONE EVER BEING THAT GOOD THESE DAYS

JUST SAY ZIDANE
    I've deliberated over this looking at different possibilities and combinations but I just can't see past Zidane

25. Mackannovic

Mackannovic New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The fact you would even consider Ruud Van Nistlerooy is a joke. Van Nistlerooys last 18 goals consisted of 11 penalties leaving 7 goals from open play. He's a goal poacher and not the best I might add that title lays firm with Michael Owen. Owen creates goals for himself aswell VanNistlerooy doesn't he lives off the best crosser in the world BECKHAM(who is nowhere near world player of the year he can't header or tackle and rarely hits the byline to get in crosses).
    NOTE:What is the last goal you saw VanNistlerooy score outside the box(6yard box even)

You deliberate the credentials required and VanNistlerooy falls very very short you'll find.