FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022: Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    7 English born players with 2 in reserve. Less than their last tournament I think.

4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Correct - There was 9 in the euros squad. 8 in the 23 man Euro 2016 squad.

5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    USA have 4 players that were either born in England or played for England youth. Poland have 1. Ghana will probably have a few too.

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s interesting there is lot of hope that Messi wins it when he has been pretty average at world cups - even 2014 he wasn’t that great and didn’t really deserve player of the tournament. Has he saved his best tournament performance for his last one.

11. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Interesting tournament stat for Spain is the last tournament game they didn't have >60% possession was the Euro 2012 final. With that midfield I expect the record to extend beyond this tournament.

Of course the problem for Spain has also been a complete lack of cutting edge and vulnerability in defence to sucker punches, both of which continue to look weaknesses also. They really lack forwards with final third ruthlessness, Fati looks like he might become that kind of player though seems to have been set back by his horrendous injury record.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    And since that match they have not won a knockout match in normal time ( Excluding the nations league). Both victories at the euros were in extra time/penalties.

Fati is playing ok at the moment but his call up was a surprise so I’m not sure he will have a major part to play this time around.

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

The Dutch are not blessed with a lot of other talented players in his position so if he misses out it be a big blow for them. The only other one in the squad has never had a cap and the Dutch have their hardest group match first.

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Dutch kit looks weird -

[​IMG]

16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Well it’s not orange at all. It’s look like the type of kit Australia would wear.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    137 players will be playing in the World Cup for a different country than the one they were born in -

[​IMG]

18. TRS-T

TRS-T Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Terrible.

Slater582 repped this.
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    And people have the nerve to say we steal players from other Countries…….we only have Sterling who was born elsewhere and he moved to England in his nappies.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    A big loss for France as he was on form. His replacement is expected to be Randal Kolo Muani of Eintracht Frankfurt.

22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Call me sadistic. But I take great delight In other countries suffering key injuries

23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    France is one of the teams that it is hard to tell. They already imploded at the euros so surely won’t do so again with that level of talent? Yet it feels like they might.

24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I fancy our chances against a team without kante pogba and now one of their key attackers. The only players in that French team I fear is mbappe and benzema. Rice and Bellingham can easily hold their own against tchouameni and rabiot

25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't think France will implode - they should at least navigate the group stage comfortably with the worst Australia side to ever go to a world cup in it, and a very average Tunisia side.

Beyond that though I think it'll be a struggle for them in midfield against most the top teams, and its almost impossible to win the world cup without a world class midfield.

Don't really see Nkunku as a huge loss for them, he wouldn't have started anyway and they're well stocked for forwards.