FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022: Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Aug 28, 2022.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Germany arguably played much better than Spain in the semi in 2010 and got knocked out by a set piece header. Tight games like this always happen. We got it pretty much perfect defensively and can limit big teams of late in tournaments.

I think people are going for a narrative that things are completely impossible because of mentality but we played the tournament with the best mentality of a team I’ve ever seen with England. Other than maybe a slight wobble after the penalty miss. We also never had a perfect infallible team/squad anyway.

hussar, Wendigo7 and roverman repped this.
  2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    To be fair to Southgate at every tournament under him we've looked better than the last. A lot of people still talk about the Croatia game at his first tournament, but to me it's kind of amazing in hindsight that a midfield of Henderson, Lingard and Alli were even in the game against Modric, Rakitic and Brozovic.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I don't want to keep banging the xG drum but out of the 4 semi finalists only Argentina had won every game on xG. Croatia, and France only 2/5 and Morocco haven't won any at all! This Argentina may not be a vintage side but they've probably been the best side in the competition overall. Granted that Argentina have had 4 penalties which will inflate those numbers but it suggests the other semi finalists have been riding their luck so Croatia losing like this isn't really a surprise.

The other thing about Messi's Argentina is that before they won their recent Copa they'd lost numerous finals and actually had a somewhat unfair reputation as big game bottlers.

Serengeti_Boy and roverman repped this.
  4. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Whilst I can’t argue with that, I do feel their opponents have played a massive part in it. This is why it will be intriguing if they do end up facing France. Until now, they’ve faced two toothless sides in Australia and Croatia. The French are obviously a completely different animal going forward with their attacking trident. We also saw in the QF that the first time they were attacked and put under a little pressure, they squandered a two goal advantage. It was a similar story against the Saudis. Of course, these two teams were nowhere near the calibre of the French.

If Argentina do get over the line, then in some ways, it is a lesson for us in the value of retaining hope and persisting. Until the Copa America win last year, they’d been in what feels like 10 finals since 86 only to always come up short.

Correction: They won the Copa America in 1993 but still it’s a lot of losses given the number of finals and the fact they are supposed to be 50:50.

AJ123, hussar, roverman and 1 other person repped this.
  5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Do we know yet how many crucial players Morocco will be missing tonight ?

6. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Argentina haven't played anyone of note yet. I bet we'd be in the final now if we had their draw.

Fact is we were not clinical and let in two poor goals.

roverman and AJ123 repped this.
  7. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    They played Holland and Croatia. Not as good as France, but still competent opponents.

8. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This. So much this.

Just keep producing more players, better players all over the pitch and keep putting yourself in positions to win.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If it had been us, it would have been noted how easy our draw was but I’ve not heard that mentioned about Argentina’s route funnily enough. Remember when we beat Croatia in the Euro groups, it was a poor Croatia team etc etc so it doesn’t count.

RobTheFool, roverman and AJ123 repped this.
  10. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I said before the tournament that there’s mixed emotions for me personally. I do really like Messi and he’s my favourite player outside of either England or my club. On the other hand, the media and social media love in has been every bit as insufferable as I thought it would be. There are very few likeable attributes to be found in Argentina away from Messi and as a result I’m getting increasingly irked by the way the whole world is rallying around them, including most of the people I’m close to both friends and family in real life.

roverman repped this.
  11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It could really go off in Paris tonight, there was a bit of a riot after Morocco beat Portugal.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Don't forget that the other team who we beat in our group in the Euros was Czech Republic who then knocked Holland out of the competition beating them 2-0 in the second round! Of course our run was easy though!

roverman repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

This is the Daily Mail so I’m not sure how true this is but if it is true, can you imagine the uproar from the World if our players were in the changing rooms singing songs about another Country. Just another example of how it’s acceptable for one to sing derogatory songs about us or throw insults about but when the shoe is on the other foot, nothing is said. If this is true, let’s see if anything is made of it?!?!

roverman repped this.
  14. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Am I right in thinking that Lillian and Marcus thuram are the first father and son to play for the same country without either of them being born there?

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Deflection kindly rolls to the French forward Muani to seal the final spot.

16. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Guadeloupe is part of France just as much as Hawaii is part of the USA.

ChristianSur repped this.
  17. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #917 Slater582, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022

Thought this was interesting. Spain as usual very distinct but the closest to them was actually England...

With the elimination of Croatia, the Champions will again be a group winner.

They actually hired a technical director from the Wales association a few years back, doubtless that aspect was part of the decision. I hadn't realised even the manager is from France.:rolleyes:

18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    #918 ht_hu96, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Don't want to turn this into politics but imagine getting so riled up by a country thousands of miles away over something so trivial, at least in the context of historical and modern disputes between countries, and then cultivating a national identity from it, they're utterly pathetic.

What's infuriating is the groundswell of support they have from so many English ex-players, pundits, media and just average fans because of Messi. They've made their feelings towards us as a nation clear on so many occasions. They even did it when they came to London in June to play Italy.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Anyone know if Mane was with the Senegal squad during the competition to boost their moral or did he stay well away ?

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d actually start Dybala alongside Alvarez for the first 50 minutes or so and let them run the French team into the ground and get a few of them booked then bring Messi on for the last 40 minutes plus injury / extra time

21. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    This is what happens when you approach big games with an aggressive mentality. Dislike Argentina but fair play to them, they’ve had no fear, gone out full of intent and are reaping the deserved rewards.

It kills me to think this could’ve been us last year had we put Italy to the sword when they were similarly on the ropes in the opening half hour.

roverman and lobomojo repped this.
  22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Always a worry with the way Deschamps sets up if France go behind in a knockout game. I’m not convinced by that penalty decision.

Giroud would have been useful in the second half because I assume France will be more direct in the next half.

lobomojo repped this.
  23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    France play like they were told to lose because Messi deserves it.

24. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Mbappe's woken up.
    Argentina lucky to not be down to 10 as well.

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Who do you guys want to win here? I feel a bit for Messi if it goes against him but I'm supporting France - partly because of personal connections, and partly because oh my God the rest of the Argentina side are a shower of twats...

roverman and lanman repped this.